AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: richandcorrie snorkel gear-rent or buy? - 05/24/01 06:57 AM
So we aren't snorkel "regulars" (Rich never has, I have and love it, but only on occasional trips) We plan to do a bunch in AC, and have no idea of the rental cost for equiptment. Would we be better off buying masks, snorkels, and fins, to bring to AC or should we rent during the week we're there? I have no idea when we'd use the gear again after this trip?(Lake Michigan's not known for its exotic fish). Thank you!
-Corrie and Rich
Posted By: Nicki Re: snorkel gear-rent or buy? - 05/24/01 02:24 PM
I just got back from AC and I love to snorkel. I thought that we would snorkel everyday, but it doesn't work out that way. We ended up only snorkeling twice. Unless you plan to take a specific snorkel trip everyday, you won't be snorkeling as much as you think. It's not like other places such as Cayman or the Virgin Islands, you can't really snorkel off the beaches. We took two trips with Capt. Alfonse and that was the only time we used our snorkel gear the entire week we were there. But I can guarantee that you will see some great things when you get out to the reef. I would highly recommend going with Capt. Alfonse. He has been doing this for a long time and he really knows his stuff. Plus, he loves what he does and it shows. Many of the members in our group rented equipment and I don't know the exact cost, but I don't think it was very high at all. Have a great time, you will love it there.
Posted By: JillB Re: snorkel gear-rent or buy? - 05/24/01 03:24 PM
Rich and Corrie,
My husband and I try to take one trip every year where we can snorkle -- we are addicted -- but, that doesn't always happen. However, there's nothing like having your own mask that fits you properly to make the trip go better. Sometimes the rental masks just don't fit you quite right and you spend the whole excursion fighting the equipment and trying to get the seal and the fit right. You should possible look around at a couple of dive shops and you'll see masks and snorkles are not all that expensive (you can always use the fins on the boat). This is just my own personal experience-- take it for what it's worth! :-)
I agree that it's a good idea to buy and bring your own masks and snorkels ... but not fins (they're heavy and bulky and a pain to schlep along). Good quality masks are not that expensive and will last many years if you take care of them. Unless you have very poor eyesight it's not necessary to have prescription lenses for the masks, as the enlarging affect of water makes it easier to see), though prescription lenses are great if money is no object.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Big Frank Re: snorkel gear-rent or buy? - 05/24/01 04:00 PM
As usual Lan is right. My wife and I pack our own masks and snorkle thereby saving the cost and potential hassle of renting[not to mention the exchange of bodily fluids]. Some places simply don't have good snorkles with one way valves to prevent/minimize seawater inhalation. also when you have your own you can just "check things out". Drop off the dock and poke around. Kinda like here in colorado, if you have a ski pass you don't feel obligated to get your moneys worth and ski all day in spite of crummy conditions. How about buy a good one for yourself and hubby can practice in the pool at home then you can share as needed. Remember to tell hubby if he practices in the pool, that the salt water bouyancy will keep him afloat; Snorkling is hard if you sink!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board