AmbergrisCaye.com Home

bugs

Posted By: tazh2o

bugs - 01/18/17 10:54 AM

ok gang as I recall the island has a home brew bug repellent my wife seems to have a target on her any ideas please
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: bugs - 01/18/17 12:34 PM

Some people use Skin-so-Soft the Avon product.
Personally I go for the deet when things get bad.
My own experience was that when I arrived on the island I was sensitive to bugs and was a mess. After a little while my body stopped reacting and now I never get so much as a bump from most bug bites. Hang in there, bug season is nearly over for the winter.

Posted By: Noelle

Re: bugs - 01/18/17 01:05 PM

On Caye Caulker the woman who owns Red Flower gallery makes an astonishingly good bug repellent that actually smells great. She uses traditional Maya bug repellent ingredients tweaked by her biochemistry background. I use it to walk my dogs on the buggiest part of the island and it works really well.
Posted By: Noelle

Re: bugs - 01/18/17 01:06 PM

PS. to stop the itching take the OTC allergy med Zyrtec. It works way better than benedryl and doesn't make you drowsy.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: bugs - 01/19/17 06:41 AM

Best stop-itch preparation is "Itch Away", a local potion. Apply topically. Works like a dream, pretty much instantly. It is cold-pressed hemp oil. Available in most gift shops and pharmacies.
Posted By: ragman

Re: bugs - 01/19/17 07:00 AM

"Itch Away" is inexpensive and works better and faster than anything I've seen.
Posted By: katzgar

Re: bugs - 01/19/17 07:13 AM

the most effective tested product for mosquitos is DEET. Ultrathon was developed for the army and has a slow releases feature so it lasts for up to 12 hours.
Posted By: Judyann H.

Re: bugs - 01/19/17 07:38 AM

Every now and then we hear about a dear unsuspecting person who got caught off guard and used as a pin cushion for the No see-ums and Mosquitoes..... Both love me and probably always will, however they have not chased me from the island...... Most of the year I don't need anything at all other than to avoid undeveloped sandy places at dusk and dawn. However, during bug season the Sawyers Ultrathon works all day, it is a lotion applied once and forgotten about. In the event I get caught without it and get a few bites the two things that work immediately are Windex or Pure Rubbing Alcohol. Then a little Hydrocortisone over the next few days gets rid of the marks.... Hope this helps.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board