AmbergrisCaye.com Home
[Linked Image]
Island resident Andres Chavez was involved in a traffic accident on the morning of Monday, April 3rd. He suffered extensive damage to his right eye and remains in Guatemala where he sought medical treatment. The family is in need of assistance to cover medical expenses and are asking friends and the island community to kindly assist them in any possible way.

According to unofficial reports, the accident took place around 5:30AM. Chavez was riding along with four other persons in a golf cart when they apparently crashed. All occupants in the car received injuries, but Chavez was injured the most. After stabilizing him, Chavez was taken to Belize City where doctors could not do much to save his eye. The family needed a second opinion, and despite hiring a taxi to take them across the border to Guatemala for better treatment, Chavez still ended up losing his eye.

The family now faces a huge medical bill that must be covered before Chavez is released. Some close friends of the family have opened a Go Fund Me account through which donations can be made. Interested parties that may wish to donate can do so at https://www.gofundme.com/help-us-help-andy

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun
Alcohol and vehicles are never a good mix!! The above article needs to call it like it is. Alcohol is a problem right here as it is every where, but why oh why would you get in the cart with a drunk driver? My heart goes out to this young man, and wish the very best for his future. There was another passenger that I know personally that is also suffering a great deal. Tragic!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board