AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty 13 year old girl found dead, US Parents Held - 07/07/17 10:10 AM

US Parents Detained For 13 Year Old Daughter Found Dead in San Pedro, Police Say Abuse

Tonight there is a very ugly and tragic story coming out of San Pedro. This 13 year old, Faye Lin Cannon is dead, and she appears to have died as a result of extreme physical and sexual abuse. The parents called police to their condominium unit on northern Ambergris Caye on Monday morning, saying the teenager was unresponsive. Her mother Anke Doehm told police that Faye woke up at 7:00 am, asked for water and went back to bed. 15 minutes later, her father, David Doehm found the child unresponsive. They called the police and a doctor confirmed that she was dead. But this was no ordinary death that the young girl endured. Her body was seen with multiple bruises to the arms and legs, plus she had a swelling on the right side of her head with a cut wound on top of the swollen area.

Her parents explained it by saying that Faye was mentally ill and would hit herself against the walls during her attacks. They also claimed that the teenager had been inside her room for the three weeks refusing to step outside or eat anything. Her mother added that Faye had complained of difficulty breathing on Sunday, July 2nd.

And while that's what they said, a post mortem examination conducted in Belize City yesterday found very differently. First the doctor observed that that the child had been physically and sexually abused. And second, It found that she died of chest compression, basically someone pressed down on her chest so hard that it broke three of her ribs, and punctured her heart.

It's a story that almost defies comprehension, and one that has shocked and shaken the San Pedro Community. Faye was born in China - and taken in by her adoptive parents who came to Belize from Hawaii in 2012. Her mother owns and manages a boutique in San Pedro, called Rubimoon where Faye could be often seen, along with her three sisters.

Tonight, those sisters are in the care of the Department of Human Services and the US Embassy. Via telephone San Pedro police discussed what they know so far:...

Supt. Henry Jemmott, OC - San Pedro
"We have clear facts that a 13 year old child lost her life. The post mortem report is out there and the police is investigating this matter very carefully."

Jules Vasquez
"Her parents, are they still in custody? When were they detained and do they remain detained at this time?"

"They were detained this morning and they are in custody pending investigation. I don't want to draw a timeline on the arrest of anyone at this time."

Jules Vasquez
"Are you seeking advice on what charges could or may be brought?"

"The doctors and the officials have stated that it is a homicide."

Jules Vasquez
"Had they sought medical attention for the child? Had the child been to any of the clinics out on San Pedro?"

"Jules, there is nothing to suggest that, that child was ill over a time, there is no medical records to state that that was so."

Jules Vasquez
"We have seen the police report and the conclusion is that is that there was physical and sexual abuse, but had the child been malnourished or dehydrated? Because I know the parents said that she had been in her room for 3 weeks not taking any nourishment."

"Physical, meaning she was abused in the form of sexual. That is the physical type they are talking about. So, we are investigating that angle to try to find if what is speculated, occurred."

Jules Vasquez
"In the report it is also stated that she would physically hit herself against the wall during her attack."

"Maybe that is what they are saying. Our job is to ascertain of that occurred, when it occurred and what did they do in relation to that."

Jules Vasquez
"They have 4 girls I am told. Are you all looking in to the situation on the wellbeing of the other girls?"

"Yes. I must explain to you that we are dealing with this case very professionally. I could say that the human development officer had already come into effect, along with the US counselors. So those are the person who will be in charge of the kids."

Jules Vasquez
"Was she indeed mentally ill as they have claimed? Because those who have seen her say she seems like a normal child."

"What we are doing right now is doing an investigation into every aspect of this situation. What we would like is for the general public if they have any information to add to our case, for them to come forward to the station, call the 911 line or the police station number which is 206-2022."

Her parents remain detained tonight, and as you heard San Pedro police wouldn't discuss possible charges. We will keep following the case very closely.

Channel 7

American Parents Detained for Daughter's Death in San Pedro

A teenage girl was found dead at a resort in San Pedro and police are investigating as a case of murder because a post mortem concludes that the child was physical and sexually abused. The body of thirteen-year-old Faye Lin Cannon also had a large swelling to the head and bruises on the arm and legs. Her adopted parents, an American couple, are in police custody pending charges of murder and sexual assault.� The couple have told police the child was mentally challenged, but there is little to go by at this time to verify the mental state of the girl. Three other adopted siblings have been removed from the care of the parents. News Five's Duane Moody reports on this very disturbing story.

Duane Moody, Reporting�

An American couple is tonight in police custody pending charges for murder and sexual assault following investigation into the death of their thirteen-year-old adopted daughter. Fay Lin Cannon was found dead inside her room at the family’s rented condo one and a half miles north of San Pedro, at Grand Caribe. A doctor was called in before the police arrived to process the scene.

Supt. Henry Jemmott, Regional Commander, Coastal Executive Unit

"On the third of July, 2017 sometime around eight o’clock, police were called out to a hotel north of San Pedro�about a mile and a half north of San Pedro. The report was that a lifeless body of a female was at an apartment at that area. Upon arrival to that location, police saw the lifeless body of a thirteen year old female, Chinese descent, who we learnt to be a nationalized American. Immediately, police went into action and start doing their investigation. We saw some visible signs of bruising on the body so what we did was to secure the scene and commence an intense investigation.�� We have two persons in custody at this present moment, who are detained for this incident."

Duane Moody

"Can you confirm sir that the persons detained are the adopted parents of the deceased?"

Supt. Henry Jemmott

"Yes, those are the persons who were at the location at the time of the police arriving at that location."

Since Monday, the family store Rubi Moon, located across from the offices of the San Pedro Town Council has been closed; a black bow indicates that they are mourning the death of a loved one. But just before eight o’clock this morning, David and Anke Doehm were detained by police following a post mortem on Cannon’s body which revealed that she was physically and sexually abused. Although the adopted mother in a statement to police claims that the minor was mentally ill and would throw herself into a wall and hurt herself, the post mortem also reveals that there was trauma to her chest.

Supt. Henry Jemmott

"The cause of the death from the post-mortem is compression on the chest causing internal haemorrhage; asphyxia. So at this time we are treating it as a homicide or murder and we are doing our utmost best to investigate this last incident that has occurred in San Pedro."

Duane Moody

"Now sir, the post mortem has also found that the minor had been physically and sexually abused. Is that right?"

Supt. Henry Jemmott

"At this point, I would say yes, but we would not like to speculate. We want to do more investigation into the matter and try to see if this is what actually occurred and to try to get other physical evidence to support that as well."

The family has been living on San Pedro since 2014 and recently relocated north of the island. Cannon had three other sisters, who were also adopted by the American couple. Today, her siblings were taken under the care of Human Services. Regional Commander of the Coastal Executive Unit, Superintendent Henry Jemmott says that the U.S. Embassy has since been contacted.

Supt. Henry Jemmott

"The Human Development Office has been working in collaboration with us and with the U.S. Embassy, because these children are U.S. citizens. So we are working with them also to further the investigation to also check if they were sexually abused. If so, then we will do our best to investigate that as well. The children are presently with the Human Development and a counsellor from the U.S. Embassy will be also taking custody of these children and having see their safe care for the duration as the investigation continues."

Channel 5

Police investigating death of 13-year-old Faye Lin Cannon

San Pedro Police are currently investigating the death of an American minor believed to have been physically and sexually abused. According to official reports, police responded to a "Sudden Death" alert at a hotel approximately one and a half miles North Ambergris Caye where they discovered the body of 13-year-old Faye Lin Cannon. Present at the scene were the child's adopted parents, two American nationals, David and Anke Doehm.

The mother reported to police that at about 7AM on Monday, July 3rd, Faye woke up and asked for water and went back to bed. About 15 minutes later, her husband went to check on the child and realized she was unresponsive. After police arrived at the scene, Faye was pronounced dead at 8:57AM. The body was observed to have bruises to the arms, legs and there was a swelling to the right side of the head which appeared to be a cut wound.

During initial investigations, Faye's parents testified that she was mentally ill and would physically hit herself against the walls during her attacks. They also claimed that the child had been inside her room for the past three weeks refusing to come out or eat anything. According to the mother, Faye had complained of difficulty breathing on Sunday, July 2nd. The body was later transported to the Karl Huesnuer Memorial Hospital in Belize City where a post mortem examination conducted indicated that the child had been physically and sexually abused and the cause of death due to compression on the chest causing internal hemorrhage. Both parents have since been detained by San Pedro Police, pending investigation and charges.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the San Pedro Sun

Even more comes out people reported the abuse and nothing done: https://www.facebook.com/SanPedroSun/videos/1587272644640673/
Scary how the public has reacted, assuming guilt and acting like a lynch mob.

US Couple Held Pending Charges For Death of 13 Year Old Daughter

Tonight, an American husband and wife are still detained for questioning in the death of their 13 year old adopted daughter. Faye Lin Cannon was found dead in her room in a condominium on northern Ambergris Caye on Monday morning. Her parents, Anke and David Doehm who have been living in Belize since 2012 told police she had been locked up in her room for three weeks refusing to come out or eat anything. They said that she'd had trouble breathing on Saturday, and then on Monday morning she woke up, asked for water and went back to bed. 15 minutes later, he father found her unresponsive. When police asked about visible bruises and a bump with a cut wound on her head, her parents said she was mentally ill, and would bang herself against the wall during her attacks.

But, a post mortem examination found that the child had been physically and sexually abused. It also concluded that she died of chest compression, the force from which fractured 3 ribs, and caused one of them to puncture her heart.

Faye Lin Cannon was born in China. and adopted by the couple. She had three sisters who were also adopted from different places in China. Anke and David Doehm moved to Belize from Hawaii in 2012, and she owns a boutique on the island called Rubimoon.

The tragic and deeply troubling circumstances of her death have outraged the San Pedro community and today townspeople came out in front of the police station to protest. Daniel Ortiz was there:

Daniel Ortiz reporting
Residents of San Pedro gathered outside of the Island Police Station to protest the murder of 13 year-old Faye Lin Cannon. They considered the teenager one of the island's precious children who needed protection. And when they learned how she died, they organized an impromptu demonstration.

Unfortunately, they did not get a police permit, and so this was an illegal gathering. And even though it was against the law, they still used it as a release valve for the rage at the innocent child's death.

Chris Burkey - San Pedro Resident
"We filled the paperwork, so we will have a bigger one tomorrow at the central park. It's a touchy subject we don't want to affect the investigation. But we need some help out here. This child could have been saved. 13 years old with broken ribs and a fractured skull, after 3 and half years with trying to work with the social worker out here. So something got to change."

Michelle Huber - San Pedro Resident
"We are crying and the island is hurt, because we don't do that to kids. We came out all in disarray. Didn't know what to do, just maybe here we would alleviate some pain that we are feeling."

And this community says that they did not stand by and just watched that abuse unfolding. They say that they reported it to the Social worker here on the island, but their concerns - they say - fell on deaf ears.

"For the past 3 years this island has cried on deaf ears."

Susana Eiley - San Pedro Resident
"It is so disturbing. This child seem to have been abused over countless numbers of years. It has been reported to the police officers. It has been reported to the US Embassy and nothing was actually done."

Golda Swift - Teacher, San Pedro
"I have been a social service on this island for over 20 plus years and I did report this case 3 years to him, about the abuse. Because there was some American couple that were staying downstairs where the kids were living and they say those kids cry whole night screaming, you hear beating, you hear cursing, you hear everything."

"I made it my own point to call the American Embassy and I told them that these people are Americans and they have these children and I am seeing what going on - they are cutting their hair. The sun hits on that side, the kids are under here by the town board hiding outside with their books studying like this. They get tired with one foot and they put another foot and that is not the way we were raised. My mom raised 12 and more than 12 set at her table and that's not the way."

"I went for the social worker and after he finish I say what happened, he says everything is okay. The beds are clean, they got food and they got everything. That's where it stays. I say please go upstairs where the social worker have his office, try find him and tell him, because I have already done my best."

"Lunch time she feeds them bread with water on the beach. So the community start doing things about this and nothing happened. We called the social worker because I have a restaurant in front of town. Our town board is right in front there and nothing is ever done and this is a crying shame, because we cried. They have move from apartment to apartment, because the same people from the community have heard how these kids cry."

Reporter
"You feel that this particular case with Faye could have been avoided?"

Golda Swift - Teacher, San Pedro
"It could have been. It hurts me because I came from a family of adopted kids. I am an adopted parent."

And with so much scorn and hate being heaped onto the social worker, we thought it only fair to hear his perspective on what interventions he tried to make on behalf of these kids.

Unfortunately, he was not there, and although the sign says that the Human Development office is open for business, no one answered even though we knocked and shouted at the window and the door for a very long time.

To hear it told from his harshest critics from today, this office either fails - or is simply unable - to do enough for the island communities of San Pedro and Caye Caulker.

Reporter
"Do you feel we as a community failed these kids especially Faye?"

"We didn't act as a community. We didn't failed. But it fall on deaf ears. If the authorities, the social worker - if it's too much work for him, 20,000 and 15,000 in Caye Caulker - change him. Because we in the community of San Pedro we are tired of seeing this uniform people. By Friday right now most of the office are closed, because they go back to Belize. Everything is paid for them and how about us. Now we need license to stand up here peacefully. Do you see anything wrong with these people?"

And these residents say that Faye and her adopted siblings are not the only children who are at risk of molestation and abuse. They say that they know of more kids who need help.

Golda Swift
"Myself was in a situation of a physical molestation that was taken place. The child confided in me, I reported it to my administration, their words were Ms. Golda that is a Pandora box, might as well you leave it there."

Virginia Wallace - San Pedro Resident
"Our island really needs a place for the children. I really feel they need that kind of help, because there are lots of frustrated children in this island being hurt, not only hurt, but there are mothers that are dealing with children that they need help."

Susana Eiley - San Pedro Resident
"In one way it's a little bit too late because a little angel has die, passes away and we didn't need that. But I think that the group of us will organize - we are going to be checking, we are going to be our own police and I hope somebody of law would help us. If they don't help us, we are going to go to Belmopan. We are going to go somewhere for help. If the police or the social service does not want to help us, we are going to go crying to Belmopan."

Faye Lin's mother Anke Doehm was taken before the San Pedro Magistrate this evening to answer to an application from the prosecution. The Government is seeking to take custody of her three surviving children at this time. It was a closed door hearing, and so we were unable to find out if the Government was successful in this application.

Police believe they have sufficient evidence to charge the couple for causing Faye Lin's death - but the Department's legal expert has advised them to gather more statements before bringing charges. But because investigators were unable to charge today, the couple could be released tomorrow, since their 48 hours of detention will have expired. But, we are told police plan to bring a lesser charge before that so they can hold them until Monday when additional, more serious charges will be brought.

Now, as we noted, Faye Lin had three sisters - all adopted by the couple from different families in China. Faye Lin was the second oldest. Information to 7News is that evidence gathered suggests strongly that two of the other girls were also molested. Tonight they are in the care of the Human Services Department in concert with the US Embassy.

Channel 7

Islanders demand justice for Faye Lin Cannon

The common sentiment around the island is that 'we failed Faye Lin Cannon." Shortly after news of her death broke on Thursday, July 6th, many people claimed that they 'knew something was wrong'. That somehow, they suspected that perhaps all was not well within her family. Faye and her three sisters were often seen outside of their mother's store, Rubimoon, in all kinds of weather. Long-time residents claim that they made several reports to authorities, including the Human Development office on the island, but nothing ever came of it. Others claim that they went as far as the US Embassy asking for some kind of investigation, and once again, nothing was ever done.

The storefront where many witnessed Faye and her sisters standing quickly became a memorial spot. Flowers, candles, and silent prayers were offered the evening after her death was announced. With heavy hearts, island residents organized a quick protest for Friday, July 7th in hopes of bringing justice to Faye's senseless death. Concerned community members gathered with posters in front of the San Pedro Police Station on Friday, July 7th, where the Doehms were being held in custody, pending charges. Several voiced their concerns on the tragic issue, saying that San Pedro needs to 'wake up'. In addition, many residents refuted the Doehms claim in the police report, where they classified Cannon as 'mentally challenged'. According to these residents, Cannon was bright, and reportedly a straight 'A' student at Isla Bonita Elementary School. However, for quite some time now, Cannon had not been enrolled in school.

Shaken San Pedranos Mourn Faye Lin Cannon

The community of San Pedro is still reeling and outraged at the death of a thirteen-year-old girl, one of four girls adopted by American parents. Faye Lin Cannon was found dead since Monday; she had signs of physical and sexual abuse. Police are now looking at her parents as suspects in her death. David and Anke Doehm have been in police detention and have not been charged, but the Human Services Department has removed the other children from their care. Today in San Pedro a peaceful protest was held and the community is wondering whether the system have failed the young girl. News Five's Andrea Polanco reports.

Shelley Arceo Huber, Resident

"Welcome to La Isla Bonita! That all of our taxes, the amount of money that this community pays. What are getting? Dead children? Abused women? Abused community? Because when they abuse a child, they abuse us."

Andrea Polanco, Reporting

Could thirteen-year-old Faye Lin Cannon still be alive today? The San Pedro Community believes so.�The teenager was found dead in her room at her family home and her adopted parents, American couple David and Anke Doehm are the suspects, after medical examinations show that the child was physically and sexually abused. Today, residents staged a peaceful protest in front of the police station; they say the system failed Faye Lin.

Shelley Arceo Huber

"I saw it and many people saw it. There is the Town Board and Rubi Moon - these people's gift shop and I saw it and many people saw it. "

Andrea Polanco

"Did you ever report it?"

Shelley Arceo Huber

"I called the American Embassy and they told me that they were going to come. And they never came."

Andrea Polanco

"This is three and a half years ago?"

Shelley Arceo Huber

"Three and a half years ago. I called the Human Service from San Pedro and he never came."

Andrea Polanco

"Do you feel that the system failed this child?"

Shelley Arceo Huber

"The system has failed the entire community because this is not the only child. The abuse and incest in this community is out of control. We want no mercy for these people, but I condemn the authorities for not�doing anything."

Susana Eiley, Resident

"I had reported this case three years and half."

Andrea Polanco

"You personally reported it?"

Susana Eiley

"I personally reported it."

Andrea Polanco

"To whom?"

Susana Eiley

"To Mister Adan Kay."

Andrea Polanco

"Who is Mister Adan?"

Susana Eiley

"The social worker from San Pedro, ma'am. And I never got a response."

Andrea Polanco

"What did he say when you reported it to him?"

Susana Eiley

"He did go and see it because I was behind it and he said the kids are okay; the beds are clean and the house is clean; everything is okay."

Andrea Polanco

"So, you believe the social worker out here is not doing his job; he's ineffective?"

Susana Eiley

"He's not, he is not, he is not doing it. He is not doing his job. He is ineffective. And everybody can confirm it. When you go to the office you do not find him. He needs to get his act together."

Celi Greif, Resident

"I was neighbours with them for about two years. The saddest part is that all the concern here is that at least twenty people went to social services to report this. Miss Susana Eiley twice took them. So, it breaks my heart to think that these kids every day I saw them going to school and not knowing the pain they were going through."

Faye Lin and her three sisters lived in San Pedro with the Doehms. The girls attended this school – La Isla Bonita primary school. Only the eldest completed her primary education; two of the others were taken out of school, whilst only the youngest remain in school. Faye Lin was taken out three years ago; in September she would have been going into standard six. She completed standard three with good grades - as can be seen in this grade book she was an A student. And so today, the school mourns her passing. There were little signs that something was wrong – but her past teachers never suspected it was so serious.

Jaime Jimenez, Standard 3 Teacher, La Isla Bonita Elementary School

"I had an incident in class with Faye. One day I told her that I would call her dad in because she was misbehaving. And when I did that there was an aggressiveness that came out from her. She even bite my hand and I told her let's go I will take you in the office and call your dad. But she insisted not to leave the class and then there I said ok I will not call your dad but what is the problem? So, that is when I called Miss Addy and I told her and we called the parents in and they just denied everything from us, everything. That is the last incident I had so I don't know if because of that incident we had there and she was already speaking out; so I don't know if that is why they took her out from school."

Andrea Polanco

"What was she saying?"

Jaime Jimenez

"She was basically telling me that she hated her dad but with an aggressiveness and then she cried."

Andrea Polanco

"Do you think the community or if the people around had done more, Fay would still be alive today?"

Jaime Jimenez

"I will say yes. I will say yes because Faye was speaking out already. She was. But we couldn't do anything because then she stopped school and even we ask why she stopped and we as the teachers started to investigate if she was actually doing home school so that we can actually report it but we couldn't find nothing."

Andrea Polanco

"Do you have any regrets as her teacher that you didn't see that there was more behind the mask that she put forward?"

Jaime Jimenez

"Well, ma'am I really feel hurt. I feel like I could do something, but I tried my best."

Voice of: Hector Trejo, Standard 2 Teacher, La Isla Bonita Elementary School

"There were several allegations about them being treated wrongly. We never wanted to interfere in their business but some people in the community did do something about it and nobody paid them any mind."

Andrea Polanco

"So, why didn't you guys at the school didn't try to intervene, this is a child we are talking about?"

Voice of: Hector Trejo

"Yes. That is true. We never intervened because we thought that the authorities were going to take care of it."

Andrea Polanco

"Do you feel any sort of regret that you guys didn't do more?"

"Definitely. I really feel bad for Faye."

Andrea Polanco

"As the Principal of the school, did you have any interaction with the parents; what were they like?"

Addy Martinez, Principal of Isla Bonita Elementary School

"Basically, no. They didn't really come to the school for anything. They would just call or text me if the girls were okay. I never talked to them or anything like that."

Andrea Polanco

"Now, I understand they pulled two of the girls out from school before they completed their education here at La Isla Bonita, is that correct?"

Addy Martinez

"Yes, ma'am it is correct."

Residents say that outside of school, the parents treated the girls inhumanely. They allege that the Doehms would cut off the girls’ hair as a form of punishment, put them to stand in the sun and gave them very little food to eat.

Shelley Arceo Huber

"We saw it in front of their business. They never allowed the children to go inside. The sun is hot here and these are the children - if they lean they are watching them from inside. This is how the kids were - if they get tired on this foot they put the other foot. When the sun is here they go under the Town Board office and it was the same thing for the four kids. And when it was lunch time, she went and bought four packs of bread and water and sat them on the beach on a log and gave them that to eat. And when they got upset, when the children wouldn't want to obey them they would cut their hair way up here like man because they are little Indonesians or little Chinese kids. The woman told me that she picked them out of the garbage, and now she disposed one in the garbage."

Residents say that the parents never integrated in the community like other expats.� And while the parents allege that Faye-Lin was mentally ill, just about everyone refuted that claim. Today, San Pedranos say the parents should be jailed.

Susana Eiley, Resident

"I want them to send to jail and throw away that key. Rot in jail. And let them feel what it is to feel when you are raped. Let them feel it. Because it is not fair to be abusing a thirteen year old. The way she died we could have stopped it. We could have stopped it."

Andrea Polanco

"Did anyone from the community ever approach the parents and talk to them about what was happening?"

Susana Eiley

"Those parents they were never social person. They were always mad and only looked on one side and that is the way they were growing the kids."

Andrea Polanco

"So, they didn't integrate in the community?"

Susana Eiley

"Never, never. We have a lot of the expats that come here. They have the south neighborhood, the north neighborhood, they go around and they say hello. These ones, you knew there was something there."

Andrea Polanco

"The parents have made allegations that Faye was mentally ill; what would you say to that?"

"Well, I think those allegations are wrong. I taught her for one whole year and if she had been mentally ill some type of signs would have been given to us."

Andrea Polanco

"Seeing her or hearing from your child, did you ever hear that this child was mentally ill? Did she display any of that in the classroom?"

Chris Burkey, Expat, San Pedro

"No. Not at all. The parents are psychopaths, obviously. They are definitely lying. She was a smart little girl. First in her class."

Andrea Polanco

"How do you process this? This is something that happened right in your community?"

Chris Burkey

"I am just angry. I don't know how to process it. I doesn't make sense. I am just angry and heartbroken."

Reporting for News Five, I'm Andrea Polanco.

Channel 5

Scarier that a 13-year old girl is dead with severe physical injuries...worst case at the hands of her family, best case through neglect of her family. It is good that people are outraged when authorities did nothing. Children are vulnerable and voiceless, while I agree that you cannot jump to conclusions your attitude when it comes to children being the victims of crime is sad. That a community would rally to demand protection and services for children is a positive thing. Lets hope it stays peaceful.
'Lynch mob'? I was at the demonstration yesterday outside the police station. There was not a single thing that resembled a lynch mob. It was simply a bunch of upset and frustrated community members making their voices heard respectfully. People are upset and right to be outraged and to demand answers and change to make sure this doesn't happen again.
Posted By: Hon Re: 13 year old girl found dead, US Parents Held - 07/08/17 11:44 PM
https://www.gofundme.com/childrenshelter This poor child is gone. Be a part of helping to stop this from happening in the future.
Belize child protection service never even went to check on this child so explain to me how this is going to help? That is what the protesters were saying, the GOB knew about it and chose to do nothing
Video of Justice for Faye Walk

There is so much conflicting information coming out. I hope we get some clarity eventually. I read that they *did* go inspect the house but they found nothing to be concerned about, partially because it was "clean". I wonder how much could be determined in this case by a random home inspection, anyway.
Conflicting stories? OK the beds may be made but did they talk to or have the children examined by a doctor? They are just trying to cover their asses for not diong their jobs and having been part of this child's death! https://www.sanpedrosun.com/crime-and-violence/2017/07/07/islanders-demand-justice-faye-lin-cannon/
I apologize if I upset you. I am in no way defending either the murderer(s) or the social services personnel who obviously were not doing their jobs. I was just saying that I had read they dismissed the complaints after finding a clean house and you wrote that they did not respond to the complaints at all. This is one example of multiple conflicting stories I've heard / read. There is a lot of speculation going on. Can we agree that it will be good to get some solid information and hope that we do eventually?

The blame game can go on forever, starting with the adoption agency that allowed this couple to adopt 4 kids. Rigorous vetting of adoptive parents should be step one.
Did you watch the videos? Those were the actual people who saw the abuses and reported it to the authorities. Those people were protesting what they saw happening with their own eyes.

Faye Lin's Father Pleads Guilty To Minor Charge

San Pedro Police still have not been able to charge Anke and David Doehm for anything related to the death of their adopted daughter, 13 year old Faye Lin Cannon. As we told you, the 13 year old was found dead in her parents Ambergris Caye condo a week ago, showing signs of severe physical and sexual abuse.

They have been in police custody since Thursday - but investigators still haven't been able to put together all the pieces to charge them for anything related to Faye's death.

Late this evening in San Pedro, they were arraigned on a very minor charge for possession of Valium without a prescription. Daniel Ortiz has been on the island all day and he has this report:..

Daniel Ortiz reporting
Americans Anke and David Doehm were finally taken before the San Pedro Magistrate about 2 and a half hours ago. The couple is being criminally investigated for the death of their daughter, Faye Lin Cannon, but their arraignment this evening had nothing to do with their child's untimely demise.

Police had charged them this weekend with a minor offense of drug possession. That was a tactic deployed so that the police would have lawful authority to detain them longer, while they are being investigated for a charge relating to the child's death.

Supt. Henry Jemmoth - OC, Coastal Executive Unit
"Both family members have been charged for possession of a controlled drug which is valium, that was at the house at the time of the police search. With that we have put the file together and we will send to the DPP, so she has all the pertinent evidence to try and say if we will lay charges. So she will be the person to assist us with that."

Reporter
"So that particular controlled drug, you need to have a prescription for it right?"

Supt. Henry Jemmoth - OC, Coastal Executive Unit
"Yes. Everything is done meticulously very slowly to get all the evidence we need."

Reporter
"Is this like a sort of holding pattern so that police have lawful grounds to keep them while you investigate them for Faye Lin's death?"

Supt. Henry Jemmoth
"Yes."

Reporter
"Is it that after the arraignment when they would be expected to get bail, the police intends to hold them right after that? Or..."

Supt. Henry Jemmoth
"We intend to object to bail on certain grounds that we have placed to the prosecutor."

And while police used that to buy more time, residents of San Pedro are calling for a successful prosecution in the death of Faye Lin.

They were back at it this on Saturday with a demonstration. This time they made sure to get a lawful permit from police to protest, so that they could vent their frustration at the death of an innocent child.

But, for all their cries for justice, police have been carefully combing through the lives of this family, trying to dot all I's and cross all T's. San Pedro Mayor Daniel Guerrero was very circumspect today, calling for the residents to help the police by providing proof, instead of condemning the parents without provable grounds.

Daniel Guerrero - Mayor, San Pedro Town
"Well its definitely a very sad incident and it's an isolated incident also and yes the entire town got shocked. Everybody kind of hurt - it touches your heart and I am of the opinion that as the population grows we will be seeing things like this. It's not something we would want to see, but people need to be real. The bigger the population, the more incidents and things will be occurring and if we would have none, this wouldn't have happened. This little girl I knew her very well. I knew the whole family and these people do rent with my sister. But that's about it. We don't know them that much. Because I don't like to interfere in anybody business or people's lives, but really and truly they had a really successful business, but the people are saying different out there. I don't know if all these saying out there if they can come forward and provide evidence and that's the problem, because the officer in charge is asking the general public to come forward and bring evidence to have better investigation results. But I am not sure if they are going forward with that evidence at the police station."

"I never saw anything - I'll be straightforward. I hear what people say, but I never saw anything myself. It could be that the people saw something. Again, like I say they need to come with evidence. I am not trying to protect them, but I'm just saying that if people can say certain things on the social media or the media itself then need to prove that, they need to come with solid sound evidence. Because if they don't have it, it doesn't takes us anywhere."

The San Pedro Commanding Officer was able to briefly answer a few of our pointed questions.

Supt. Henry Jemmoth
"I won't go into details about the evidence gathering, but I could tell you that we had additional personnel on the ground over the weekend assisting us in all angles of recording statements, getting all the evidence that we need to submit to the DPP and if necessary, if she wants more or other stuff that we need to submit to her, then we will do that."

Reporter
"Is there any proof to reports that the FBI is assisting in this case?"

Supt. Henry Jemmoth
"Well yes. It is a US national, so they are assisting to a certain extent, but I must tell you that the Belize Police Department takes the lead on any cases that happens within Belize."

Reporter
"Are you able to say prior to her death that residents complained about Faye Lin's physical abuse to this station?"

Supt. Henry Jemmoth
"We have no such report on record. We have one report that was made to the Human Development [Department] and our officer at the time in 2014 accompany the human development officer to check on that situation. A medical report has to be ordered and as soon as that is compiled as well and that is completed that will be submitted. Also the children will be interviewed by a specialist to see if they can get any evidence out of them."

"Also because of the nature of what had happened, we are trying not to exhaust the kids, because remember they are young and we don't want to exhaust them with this investigation and they will lock up and we will not get any evidence from them. So we have to be very careful how we do it."

Reporter
"Is this being treated as a murder investigation?"

Supt. Henry Jemmoth
"It is still being treated as a murder investigation."

Reporter
"Sir are you able to say whether any of the investigating officers have observed any physical injuries on the other children?"

Supt. Henry Jemmoth
"Physical injuries, I could say no. They haven't seen any physical injuries on the other children."

Reporter
"In terms of closing the case, it appears that's going to take a while, but do you expect to bring charges to, maybe preliminary and then add to the case after?"

Supt. Henry Jemmoth
"If the DPP gives us the guidance and the instructions then we follow that. But I will tell you that the case is an ongoing case and an ongoing matter."

It's ongoing, but the police now have a 48-hour deadline because their attempt to buy more time didn't exactly work out according to plan.

So, to the arraignment itself, the Americans were arraigned this evening before Magistrate Villanueva. They were read a single charge of possession of a controlled drug. Police found a few grams of valium in their house, and David Doehm did not have a recent prescription for this drug which is otherwise illegal.

He pleaded guilty to the charge explaining that he got the prescription from his doctor back in 2014 and 2015, and when he went to refill that prescription drug, they didn't give him an updated document. He says that he trusted his medical provider, and he didn't know that he was committing an offense.

He was fined $185 dollars, and he and his wife were released. But, police detained them immediately after they were released, and so the 48 hours of detention restarts, while police try to find enough evidence to bring a charge against them for the death of their daughter.

Outrage on the island against the couple and the Department of Human services remains high, and townspeople protested again on Saturday - this time with the proper permit. This video from the San Pedro Sun shows a good turnout on Saturday demanding justice for Faye, and condemning the lack of decisive action by social service workers and police.

Today the Department of Human Services issued a rare statement, defending its actions - or perceived inaction - in this case. It says, quote, "Departmental records show that in 2014, there was a report of improper supervision and inadequate parenting whereby the Cannon children were being exposed to the elements. A joint investigation was conducted along with the Police Department, where the parents, children and school officials were interviewed. The allegation was substantiated, however, there were no disclosures or indicators of any other forms of physical or sexual abuse at that time. As such, the Department created a plan with the parents for the proper supervision of the children. The plan was monitored for adherence and the case was later closed when it was deemed that the parents had been compliant. Since then, the Department's records show no other reports being made of neglect or abuse of these children." End quote.

The statement adds that Faye's three surviving sisters have been taken into protective care. The department is also conducting a child abuse investigation and, quote, "has referred the children for therapeutic counselling to assist them through this traumatic experience."

In 2016, the Ministry received and investigated 1,485 reports of child abuse and neglect - and urges anyone in the public who sees something to call 0-800-PROTECT, the nearest police station, or Crime Stoppers International at 0-800-922-TIPS.

Channel 7

Doehms charged and re-arrested as San Pedro Police continue investigating murder of Faye Lin Cannon

American couple David and Ankhe Doehm remain in police custody as the prime suspects for the murder of their adoptive 13-year-old daughter Faye Lin Cannon. The duo had their first hearing at the San Pedro Magistrate Court on Monday, July 10th, where they were on trial for a separate matter-drug possession. Ankhe denied the accusations and was released, but almost immediately re-arrested. David declared himself guilty for the offence and was offered bail, but after he could not meet this, he was re-arrested as well. The couple will remain in police custody for another 48 hours as police continue investigating.

It was also revealed that there are intentions to interrogate Faye's siblings, as they might be able to contribute vital information towards solving the case, which is still being treated as a homicide. "We don't want to exhaust the children at the moment with the investigation, but at some point they will be interviewed by a specialist in order to try to get more evidence," he said. Jemmott denied multiple reports about the alleged abuses the children were exposed to while with the Doehms. "We have one report that was made to the Human Development Department in 2014, but after that there were no other reports." The San Pedro Police Department are confident that they will soon bring charges upon the suspects. However, they also caution that it is a case that needs to be investigated meticulously. He said that there are still many questions to be answered, and police are working on the situation as fast as they can in order to solve the matter in the next 48 hours.

The Ministry of Human Development Press Release re: Faye Lin Cannon

The Ministry of Human Development, Social Transformation and Poverty Alleviation joins the nation of Belize in grieving the death of 13-year-old, Faye Lin Cannon of San Pedro Town. The Department of Human Services (DHS) is collaborating with the San Pedro Police Department in its criminal investigation. Following the detention of the mother and stepfather by the Police Department, on July 6th, 2017, the three surviving siblings were taken into protective care. DHS is also currently conducting its child abuse investigation and has referred the children for therapeutic counselling to assist them through this traumatic experience.

While DHS is unable to discuss the details of cases due to our mandate of confidentiality, there have been a number of disclosures about the Department's previous involvement with the family in the media. Departmental records show that in 2014, there was a report of improper supervision and inadequate parenting whereby the Cannon children were being exposed to the elements. A joint investigation was conducted along with the Police Department, where the parents, children and school officials were interviewed. The allegation was substantiated, however, there were no disclosures or indicators of any other forms of physical or sexual abuse at that time. As such, the Department created a plan with the parents for the proper supervision of the children. The plan was monitored for adherence and the case was later closed when it was deemed that the parents had been compliant. Since then, the Department's records show no other reports being made of neglect or abuse of these children.

The Ministry takes this opportunity to remind the public that the Families and Children (Child Abuse Reporting) Regulations, Chapter 173 Revised Edition 2003, specifies that it is a moral obligation of the general public to report child abuse and it is mandatory for family members, education personnel, health personnel, and any person whose daily work involves children to report any known or suspected abuse or neglect of children to the Department of Human Services or Police Department. If you know of or suspect that a child is being neglected or abused, we urge you to make a report by calling our toll-free hotline 0-800-PROTECT, nearest police station, or Crime Stoppers International at 0-800-922-TIPS.

It is unfortunate that the abuse of our children continues to be an everyday occurrence. In 2016, the Ministry received and investigated 1,485 reports of child abuse and neglect and is aware that many more cases go unreported. To strengthen this child protection and response system, the Ministry has partnered with the National Committee for Families and Children, Ministry of Education, and NOPCAN to conduct nationwide training on Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse. The program aims to train all those who work with children to detect the signs and symptoms of abuse and apply appropriate protocols for responding to suspected cases. So far, training workshops has been held for primary school teachers and other stakeholders in the Belize Districts.

The Ministry takes ALL reports of child abuse and neglect seriously and will continue to work with the various stakeholders in the Child Protection System and the community to safeguard our children.

US Couple Transferred To Belize City

Today it caused quite a stir in downtown Belize City when the US couple held for the death of their daughter, Anke and David Doehm were transferred to Belize City.

Police brought the couple via boat to Centre Point building on North Front Street at around 11:30 this morning. They wore handcuffs and were escorted into the building, but then put back in the boat when too much of a media hubbub was created.

The couple was then taken to another location where they were put in a police vehicle. As we understand it, David Doehm has been remanded for drug possession since he could not pay the $185.00 dollar fine he got yesterday when he pleaded guilty to having valium without a prescription.

Anke Doehm is being questioned - we are told - in connection with child pornography since this has now emerged as a possible factor in this case.

And while we thought they would remain in custody, this evening in Belmopan, the Police Commissioner told the press that that they are to be released. That's after almost a week in detention. He outlined how the investigators carefully avoided violating their constitutional rights:

Allen Whylie - Commissioner of Police
"My understanding is that the two individuals were detained pending the investigation. They were subsequently charged for possession of drugs and were remanded by a Justice of the Peace. They appeared in court I believe it was Monday evening. One of the individual plead guilty, the other was released by the court. The individual who plead guilty I understand the fine was to be paid forthwith. He was unable to pay his fine and so a warrant of commitment was issued for that individual. He, along with his wife I understand were transported to Belize City today. He would have been taken to the prison to serve his time, but I understand that his fine has since been paid."

"The female was re-detained to look at the issue of pornography. I think that the investigators have gone through some of their equipment and the photo that they have seen, the legal advice given by our legal advice I understand that it would not amount to pornography and so I believe that both individuals may have been released from police custody already."

"It's a heinous crime in my view and a difficult crime to investigate, because of the fact that it occurred within the privacy of their home and it occurred within one family and so the investigators have been interviewing along with social the members of the family, in particular the children and we've submitted what we had to the DPP."

"I don't think we are at the stage that we can charge until we hear from the DPP whether or not what we have is sufficient to do so."

"There is always concern in terms of when these cases occur and foreigners are involved, that they may flee the jurisdiction. That is not to say that we are at the stage where we can charge anyone, but obviously they were the parents and should be able to account for any injuries that happened to their child."

So, as you heard, for all the public outrage on San Pedro, police have no further cause to detain them at this time. We've checked with DPP Cheryl-Lynn Vidal who told us that she is reviewing the investigation file all the statements that have been sent to her so far. Police say that they are awaiting her instructions on how they should proceed with the case.

Police: Compol Wrong, Doehms Still Detained

Before the break, we told you how the Commissioner got it wrong when he said that Americans David and Anke Doehm were released from police custody.

Here's his exact words from this evening, when he spoke on the case:

Allen Whylie - Commissioner of Police
"He, along with his wife I understand were transported to Belize City today. He would have been taken to the prison to serve his time, but I understand that his fine has since been paid."

"The female was re-detained to look at the issue of pornography. I think that the investigators have gone through some of their equipment and the photo that they have seen, the legal advice given by our legal advice I understand that it would not amount to pornography and so I believe that both individuals may have been released from police custody already."

Well, we've since confirmed that he was misinformed by the officers briefing him on the investigation. A few minutes ago the Police Press office said, quote, "

David Doehm is at Kolby Fondation on a committal warrant and Anke Doehm is detained in police custody pending investigation." End quote.

So, then it seems the commissioner - who is the top cop - somehow had it wrong on this very public, highly scrutinized case.

Special Envoy Speaks On San Pedro Couple

As we told you at the top of this segment, just a few hours ago, the Commissioner of police said that David And Anke Doehm had been released - but other senior sources tell us otherwise tonight.

And that very public confusion arises - in part - because this case is under such close public scrutiny.

Indeed, the death of 13 year old Faye Lin Cannon - in circumstances of extreme abuse - has sent waves of outrage across the country. Today Special Envoy for Women and Children Kim Simplis Barrow commented on this case. Barrow says this tragic case gives a reminder that more social workers are needed to better follow up on these cases of child abuse:

Kim Simplis Barrow - Special Envoy for Women and Children
"It's a sad situation and it's a sad day for us in Belize, the children were living here. When we look back and we always say in hind sight maybe something could have been done. We as Belizeans have to really be more aware of our surroundings, we are very friendly Belizean people and we are very welcoming. The dynamics are changing and especially in San Pedro where the population is growing so much. We have to start being conscious that these things do exist and it doesn't matter, abuse doesn't have a face, abuse doesn't have a status whether it's religious, whether it is financial status, anyone can be an abuser so we also have to be aware of that. We have to continue advocating for more social workers and as I said before I encourage more of our students to take up careers such as these, to become social workers because we do need it in Belize. We have to continue to advocate and we have to continue to provide every single means to protect our children. I am aware that there are different processes and there are different situations whereby a child can be removed from a family. I am not sure if whatever report was made fell under that category so, there are so many different situations and scenarios. I had not received the report as yet."

Courtney Weatherburne
"Do you work along with the human services? Is there a collaboration there when it comes to this case or not necessarily?"

Kim Simplis Barrow - Special Envoy for Women and Children
"Not necessarily, they do their own investigation and their own thing because of my role I will always ask for a report."

As we told you last night, the Human Services Department that they did follow up on reports improper supervision and inadequate parenting in 2014 but after investigating, the parents showed improvement and the case was closed. The department says they don't' have any record of any other reports - while the islanders say they made several complaints and nothing was done.

Channel 7

American Couple Charged For Child Cruelty After Death Of Their Daughter

Tonight, there are charges for Anke and David Doehm that link them to the death of their adopted daughter, 13 year old Faye Lin Cannon.

Police report that the DPP has directed them to jointly charge the Doehm's with the crime of "Cruelty to a child."

Anke Doehm - who is in police custody - has already been arrested and charged while David Doehm - who is at the Hattieville Prison - will be formally arrested and charged tomorrow when he is brought down from prison.

Of course, it's not a murder charge - which some might have expected - but the Police note that this crime carries a sentence of 10 years in jail.

So, tonight, the American couple faces the first charge that have them as some way responsible for the death of their child.

And so, what was up with the confusion caused by the Commissioner of Police last night? He said that they had been released, but when we checked, Anke Doehm was at the Queen Street Police Station and David Doehm was on remand at the Hattieville Prison.

The couple were brought in from San Pedro yesterday morning - causing quite a stir in the downtown area.

Today we asked the new officer commanding for the Northside, Senior Superintendent Ralph Moody to discuss the mix-up:..

Alex Courtenay
"We spoke to the commissioner yesterday and we had some information that we are not sure about in terms of the detention of the Doehms from San Pedro. Can you confirm to us that they are indeed detained at the Queen Street police station?"

Sr. Supt. Ralph Moody - Commander, Northside Police
"The young lady is at the Queen Street police station and the young man is at prison, I don't want to create any problems, if me and my boss have any problems I just want to be truthful. I believe at some point in time the boss was misled and that's why he made that statement. I really apologize for misleading our boss and it is not something intentional that we want to mislead the public right so we are getting it right and definitely it won't happen again."

The couple has been detained since last week Thursday - three days after their 13 year old adopted daughter, Faye Lin Cannon was found dead in their condominium. A post mortem found that she had been physically and sexually abused. She died of chest compression, or force to her chest so great that it snapped three ribs, one of which punctured her heart. Their other three adopted daughters have been in protective care of the Department of Human Services since July 6th.

Channel 7

Doehms To Court For Child Cruelty, DPP Fights To Get Them Remanded

Tonight, after 8 days of being investigated for the death of their daughter, the Americans David and Anke Doehm are at the Belize Central Prison.

They were arraigned this evening before Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith on the charge of "cruelty to a child". DPP Cheryl-Lynn Vidal has reviewed all the evidence that the police have gathered in the questionable death of 13 year-old Faye Lin Cannon, and she is convinced that her office can prove that the child's parents were criminally negligent in their care of her.

It's the first offense that they're facing, which holds them somehow responsible for Faye Lin's death.

And to ensure that they would be remanded, DPP Vidal appeared for the arraignment of the couple. Both she and defense attorneys Ellis Arnold and Dickey Bradley fought to see whether they would be remanded or released on bail. Our news team was at court for the arraignment, and Daniel Ortiz has that story:

Daniel Ortiz reporting
This afternoon, after 7 days in detention, David and Anke Doehm were brought to the Belize City Magistrate's Court to face the first criminal charge for the death of their daughter, 13 year-old Faye Lin Cannon.

They were arraigned and remanded on the offense of cruelty to a child. The prosecuting authorities freely acknowledge that at this time, there is not enough evidence to substantiate a charge of murder against the husband and wife.

Cheryl-Lynn Vidal - Director of Public Prosecutions
"We do not unfortunately at this time have sufficient evidence to charge anyone with actually causing the death of Faye Lin, but we didn't think that it was appropriate for us to ignore other charges that could have possibly been laid and one of them certainly "cruelty of a child" and so we decided that while the investigation into the death is ongoing, we would nonetheless proceed with this one since we have sufficient evidence to prove this charge."

And that leads the defence attorneys to believe that "cruelty to a child" is an attempt to keep the Doehms locked up while the police try to gather sufficient evidence to bring the murder charge against their clients.

Dickie Bradley - Attorney for David Doehm
"You did hear Ellis Arnold kind of joke it off, but also made an issue of it that the police are usually nowadays getting involve in putting a holding charge. We were saying that perhaps maybe they are trying to see if they can find information for a more serious charge and has brought this charge and the reason they are asking the court to hold on to them is in the hopes that perhaps they will be able to get some further information in their investigation."

But, the DPP says not so. There is sufficient evidence that the couple neglected the health of Faye Lin, and that's why they are now accused of that.

Cheryl-Lynn Vidal
"Because there is a primary investigation in relation to the killing of a child, does not mean of there is nether evidence in relation to the offence that police are going to act. We don't very often see this degree of criminality. The observations section of the post mortem report reads like a horror story and the doctor says, of course with a caveat that we don't want to try the case here, but that he observed fresh injuries, old injuries and all of them significant injuries. When interviewed under caution, both persons admitted to knowing of injuries being sustained by the victim. We cannot at this stage say that they caused those injuries, but they were aware of injuries. They were of the view that she was suffering from a certain illness and in all that time they never took her for any kind of medical treatment. In all that time they never took her to a doctor to be diagnosed. Instead they decided to administer valium to her and to perform some Japanese healing technique on her and the extend nature of the injuries I think definitely in light of the fact that they were the persons who were responsible for taking care of this child, amount to tremendous neglect of their part."

Both sides argued strenuously to try to convince Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith why she should grant or refuse bail. In the end, she considered the submissions from both sides and determined that the couple is a flight risk, and should be remanded.

The defense attorneys say that this is a set back, but they will redouble efforts at the Supreme Court with an application for bail there.

Dickie Bradley
"You know the Supreme Court has granted bail to other persons who have had far more serious allegations than neglecting a child, so that we have said from the outset and we advised the two accused persons that it is a matter that should best be dealt with at the Supreme Court level. So the matter of their freedom goes to the proper place which is the Supreme Court that upholds the freedom of everybody who is charged on allegation and can satisfy the court that we have no reason to get up and run."

And the DPP's Office, anticipating this tactic, will maintain a strong objection to both accused being admitted to bail.

Cheryl-Lynn Vidal
"Without a doubt. We honestly believe that they are flight risk. Given all of the circumstances that I would have outlined in court today and the situation will not change if the matter is before the Supreme Court instead of the magistrate court and we intend to continue our objection to them being admitted to bail."

"The investigation in relation to the death of Faye Lin in ongoing. You know that most often you hear from me when I am ranting and raving about the police, but I cannot say anything unfavorable in this case. They consulted with us as earlier as it was possible for them to do so and I really feel as though they are investing a lot of time and energy into this investigation and doing everything that they can possibly do. So the fact that we have not been able to lay a charge for the death of Faye Lin, is not for want a proper investigation by the police."

Notably that was the first on camera interview that DPP Cheryl-Lynn Vidal has granted us since 2008. She told us that even though the community of San Pedro has been protesting the death of Faye Lin, they have also been very helpful by providing witness statements that have assisted the police.

Ultimately, Chief Magistrate Ann Marie Smith decided that David and Anke Doehm are a flight risk, and so, she couldn't granted bail. They have been remanded until August 24, where they will be taken back before the San Pedro Magistrate Court. Partial Disclosure is expected to be done in October.

Original Adoptive Father Wants Custody Of Faye's Sisters

So, while Faye and David Doehm are at the Prison, the 3 other adopted daughters are in the care of the Ministry of Human Development, which is being assisted by the US Embassy.

We have learned that their adoptive father, David Cannon, is in Belize, and he is trying to gain custody of the girls, insisting that he can provide better care for them. He shares parental rights with Anke Doehm, and at this point, he is only allowed visitation. David Doehm is the adopted stepdad to the children, and with the death of Faye Lin, the original adoptive father believes that he should have full custody of the children.

Today, his attorney spoke with the press about his attempts to get full parental over the children:

Roberta Magnus-Usher
"Well I think first and foremost is that he wants to find out what is happening with his girls and he wants to ensure their welfare and the burial of his child, the child how has died. He is very disturbed by all that has happened and he is willing and cooperating with everyone for the best interest of his children and wants of course to get the custody of the girls."

Reporter
"Ma'am has he indicated to you when was the last time he saw them or at least Faye Lin?"

Robertha Usher
"Well he lives in the United States so he is only able to come on weekends that he has visitation and he travels as often as he can to Belize to get to see the children."

Reporter
"Did he speak to you about ever getting complaints from Faye Lin of maybe abuse - verbal, physical or sexual abuse, at any point?"

Robertha Usher
"No, no. This is very…one of the things that we have to be aware of is that there is an ongoing investigation. So this is very sensitive at this time and he wants to cooperate with the authorities, so there is not much that we are willing to say at the point. All that he is willing to do and say is that he is here for his girls; he is here to protect them and he is here to play the role of the father in their lives. He is the father with legal rights."

Reporter
"So has he seen the other three girls that are under the order of care?"

Robertha Usher
"I'm not at liberty to say anything much about that right now. Unfortunately….I will say this, Human Services has played a very active role so far and we are cooperating with them for the time being."

The Ministry of Human Development is allowed to keep temporary custody of the children for the next 3 months.

Channel 7

Her parents were seen feeding the children bread and water! They were getting 5K every month for support of these girls!! From channel 5 news

"In court today it was revealed that David Cannon, Anke's ex-husband, adopted the children while they were together. Cannon traveled to Belize on various occasions to visit his daughters. Cannon also provided his ex-wife with monthly maintenance of five thousand four hundred U.S. dollars for the proper care of the children. Shocked by Faye Lin's demise, Cannon has been in Belize since July seventh, working along with the respective local authorities. "
The San Pedro Sun (online version) has a comment from one of their neighbors when they lived in Hawaii, stating that the girls were being neglected and abused (at least verbally) by both the mother & stepfather. It's heart-breaking to imagine what life has been like for these kids.
These kids deserve thinking and aware parents. Better check out Canon too. If he didn't notice anything wrong, he's a other bad deal for these kids.

Sorry Diane but you know NOTHING about this man and you are casting aspersions about him in public forums? And who do you propose to "check" him out the same people
youth protective services, that allowed her to die by their inaction?

Anke Doehm No Bail, In Jail

Last night, we told you how the American couple, Anke and David Doehm were arraigned an remanded on the first charge that somehow links them to the death of their adopted daughter Faye Lin Cannon.

They are at prison awaiting their next adjournment date on the offense of "cruelty to a child", but it caused a great stir on Facebook today, when this picture was posted. We can't say for sure that this is Anke Doehm, but the rumors where that she was at a bank, when she should have been in jail. That led to all kind of speculation that she was being treated preferentially, or that she had been granted bail.

We've confirmed with multiple different authorities that she hasn't gotten a bail hearing as yet, but, the couple's attorneys are working hard to make that next step. Yesterday, Richard "Dickey" Bradley made the point that from his perspective they are entitled to bail since this only an allegation against them:

Dickie Bradley - Attorney for David Doehm
"There is a serious matter, a child has lost her life`. They are not charged for that matter. They are charged for somehow neglecting - that is what is on the charge sheet - due to their neglect of the child. Which is an allegation against them. It's a serious matter, but it is an allegation and from your experience you know the Supreme Court has granted bail to other persons who have had far more serious allegations that neglecting a child. So that we have said from the outset and we advised the two accused persons that it is a matter that should best be dealt with at the Supreme Court level. Speaking of the supreme court the learned DPP has also indicated that these allegations will not be tried in a magistrate court in Belie - that she is going to take it to a supreme court where there will be a jury and a judge and there is a more chance of a better ventilation of the pros and the cons of the matter."

It is expected that the attorneys will try to expedite a bail hearing before a Supreme Court judge.

Channel 7

Doehm couple went to bank before they went to jail

A photograph of Anke Doehm has been making the rounds on social media. The photo is taken from afar, but it shows Anke lining up inside the Belize Bank. When we contacted Attorney Dickie Bradley about this photo, he offered that if the Doehms were in the bank, there would be nothing improper and illegal about it because they are entitled under proper escort and security to access their funds providing there was a removal order from the court. In this case, they would have been allowed to withdraw funds in order to pay a court fine imposed when they were originally arrested in the ongoing investigation in the death of their daughter thirteen-year old Faye Linn Cannon. That charge was for a small quantity of a controlled drug - about point one seven ounces - found in their condo in the island. When they appeared at the San Pedro court, Anke pleaded not guilty, while David, who holds permanent residency, pleaded guilty to the charge of possession of a controlled drug, Diazapam, which is essentially valium used for anxiety disorders, alcohol withdrawal and muscle spasms.David was charged one hundred and eighty five dollars and this is money he needed to pay the fine. Following that charge they were transferred to Belize City.

Bradley told News Five that the Doehms were taken to the bank under police escort earlier in the week before they were charged with “Cruelty to a Child." Bradley confirmed that tonight they are behind bars at the Central prison pending a bail application before the Supreme Court next week. Police, in the meantime, continue to collect information on the death of Faye Linn who died of compression to the chest. A post mortem also confirmed that she had been sexually and physically abused and there were other significant injuries.� The Director of Public Prosecutions told the court on Thursday in Belize City that "We don't very often see this degree of criminality. The observation section of the post mortem report reads like a horror story and the doctor says, of course with the caveat that we don't want to try the case here, but that he observed fresh injuries, old injuries and all of them significant injuries."

Channel 5

David and Anke Doehm to seek bail on child cruelty charge this Friday

The bail application for David and Anke Doehm, the American couple charged with cruelty to late thirteen-year-old daughter Faye Lin Cannon, will be heard at the Supreme Court on Friday. Attorney for David Doehm, Richard 'Dickie' Bradley, confirmed this afternoon to News Five that he and Anke's attorney, Senior Counsel Ellis Arnold, have filed their papers and secured a hearing date. The couple was arrested following the discovery of Faye Lin's battered body two weeks ago at their apartment in the north of the island. Last Thursday, David and Anke were charged with cruelty to a child and denied bail by Chief Magistrate Ann-Marie Smith. Faye Lin's siblings are in contact with their adoptive father and under the care of the Department of Human Services. When we last checked, there is not enough evidence to press murder charges against the couple, but police continue to gather information on the couple.

Channel 5

From channel 7 news:
Jorge Aldana - San Pedro Resident
"The people of San Pedro, few residents some of the residents of San Pedro and some of Belize had approached me to come in and apply for permission to protest tomorrow in front of the supreme court right across from Battlefield Park. We walked in with Mr. Elrington this evening and the officer command Eastern Division has used the law to deny us the application to protest. She cited that we needed 36 hours for us to apply for the permission to protest. So she used that portion of the law to deny us that application. They are still coming out, my understanding is about the group that has been mobilized is still coming out tomorrow. I managed to sit down with Mrs. Desiree Phillips and we went over what is expected. I told her that the group decided that if the application is the denied then we will use our second constitutional right which is to picket. The purpose of this protest is to show the public and to indicate to the legislative and the other responsible bodies in the country that we will keep a watchful eye when it comes to the Faye Lin case. I think the Faye Lin, the system failed and the community failed Faye Lin. We cannot allow the system to fail her once again. I believe and the crowd believe as a matter of fact the residents and the people outside of San Pedro believed that if bail is granted to Faye Lin's adopted parents who are in custody they are a high risk than they may abscond. We have seen this over and over in other cases in Belize."

We'll be there tomorrow, and we'll tell you how the bail hearing goes for the Doehms.

David and Anke Doehm apply for bail; David Cannon seeks custody of his daughters

David and Anke Doehm are to appear for a bail hearing on Friday, July 21st at Belize City's Supreme Court for the charges of cruelty to a child. The Doehms are the main suspects in the tragic death of Anke's adoptive daughter, 13-year-old Faye Lin Cannon. At such, Faye's siblings have been under the care of Belize's Department of Human Services since July 6th, and while their fate is uncertain, their adoptive father, David Cannon has travelled to Belize from the United States of America (USA) to try obtaining custody of the three girls.

According to Usher, Cannon lives in the USA, and travelled frequently to Belize to visit his adoptive daughters. It was also revealed that he was providing his ex-wife Anke with $5,400US monthly as child support. Usher did not offer any further information regarding the case and only mentioned that Cannon is in the country to protect his daughters, and to assume the role of father for his girls.

Residents on Ambergris Caye have made plans to travel to Belize City for the bail hearing on Friday morning. The purpose is to hold a peaceful protest outside the Supreme Court and raise awareness, asking the court to deny the Doehms' bail.

The Doehms were granted Supreme Court Bail of $10,000 each. Protesters are angered and state that the justice system has failed Faye Lin Cannon.
Actually RobertJ, it seems that they followed the law. There was not enough evidence for a murder charge. The couple was entitled to bail legally for what they were charged for.

As sad as that is that they may walk, this reinforces a couple of things.

Belize needs a forensics lab and much better police training to collect evidence and...

If you are an American and get arrested on some trumped up charges with zero evidence (and I am not insinuating that the Doehms were arrested this way), you will get to post bail, instead of being held unlawfully forever such as a place like Iran or North Korea.

And it shows a need for a much better cooperation between social workers, the police and in this case, the US embassy.

Whatever happens with this case, I hope lessons were learned and it never happens again.

Are the authorities just supposed to hang them at high noon from the San Pedro clock tower because people on the island and the internet said they were guilty?????

Bail For US Couple Accused of Cruelty To Deceased Child, Court Unconvinced They are Flight Risks

Last night, we told you how a group of San Pedro residents intended to stage a protest in front of the Supreme Court. They were there to demand that Americans David and Anke Doehm to remain in jail while the await a criminal trial related to the death of their 13 year-old adopted daughter Faye Lin Cannon.

A small group of protesters showed up to the Battlefield Park, and chanted loudly, making a peaceful but disruptive stance at the courthouse. But, though they disturbed the business of court, they still couldn't prevent the judge from ruling that the couple should be released, while they await trial for the offense of cruelty to a child.

Our news team was at court before hearings started, until the moment when the couple were freed. Daniel Ortiz reports:

Daniel Ortiz reporting
After successfully convincing Justice Hanomansingh to grant them bail, David and Anke Doehm were escorted out of the Supreme Court to be processed for their release. They had been incarcerated for 15 days, and as soon as they could leave, they jumped into a vehicle which moved off with haste.

The couple was definitely trying to avoid small but boisterous crowd of protesters in Battlefield Park. For the entire 2 and a half hours of the court hearing, this small but spirited crowd shouted at the top of their lungs.

"We are here for one thing: Justice for Faye and I pray to the Lord to lay his hands on this nation, because this has been too many murders."

Karen Banner - Orange Walk Resident
"I am tired of seeing my youths murdered on the streets of Belize City. I am tired of seeing mothers cry. I am tired of seeing single parents with no assistance. We are asking for justice. We will not be quite. I will not be quite. We are tired. All we are asking for is Justice for Faye, justice for Pastor Lucas and there are many more, there are many more murders that has not been solve and we want justice."

Jose UC Espat - Belize City Activist
"It hurts to see people murdered. It hurts that no one comes and stands for the right thing. But when there are concerts there are people by the thousands. We need to focus on this entire nation and put a stop to this. Enough is enough. When will enough be enough Belize?"

Golda Swift - San Pedro Resident
"There is dead child on our hands, there is blood on our hands. As a Belizean citizen and as an educator for over 20 years I have to say we need to stand up. We cannot let these things happen in our country, especially to children and let it go by."

Kera Garbutt - Ladyville
"I don't live in San Pedro, I am from Ladyville, but when I heard the news about what happened to baby Faye, it touches me deep, because I have a little girl that is 15 years old. If it was me and if I had a man and they (the police) came to my house to find my 13 year old daughter dead, we definitely would have gotten charge for murder the same day. We would have been spending our time in jail until our case comes up to prove that it's not us who kill the person. At the end of the day we don't want them to get bail."

The DPP's Office made a strong effort to object to the couple being released on bail, because from the prosecution's perspective, they are a flight risk. Crown Counsel Jacqueline Willoughby tried to convince the Justice Hanomansingh of this, but after considering the lengthy arguments from both sides, the judge did not agree.

Jacqueline Willoughby - Crown Counsel
"It is the position our office that they have become a flight risks. One of the issues is you have to be able to take care of yourself in Belize. Their business is down. One of the petitioners have been release of his employment. They really have no other means here. They have no property. The issue of the children are in human services. There is matters before other courts that custody is being sought by the adopted father. It is our view in our office that there is really no reason for them to stay here. This charge will yield them prison time of up to 10 years. But at the end of the day, it is in the discretion of the judge to determine whether or not he would give bail."

Daniel Ortiz
"Are you satisfied with the positions you made trying to counter the arguments from the defense attorneys?"

Jacqueline Willoughby - Crown Counsel
"That is their right, they are defending their client and it is our right to defend what we defend for the state."

So, what considerations did the judge weigh, which led him to rule in the couple's favor?

Richard "Dickie" Bradley - Attorney for David Doehm
"It has been the law in this country before I went to law school, which is a long, long time ago, that bail is a right, it is not a privilege. Nobody is doing you any favor to give you your freedom which is guaranteed in the constitution of Belize section 5, subsection 5. The second thing is the law is and I really want to emphasize this, that bail is not to be use to punish a person before a trial is held. Those are two very fundamental legal principles."

"It is all too easy to be denying persons their liberty which as many judges have observed creates major problems."

"At the magistrate court, I was the first to concede that a charge of cruelty to a child is a very serious charge, because all of us as adults and I am a parent, we must look after our children and even hold ourselves responsible for our neighbor's children. That is not a ground to lock up somebody in prison until 2019 when the trial may take place. That can't be fair. I understand the persons who are protesting. We feel for whatever the child may have suffered at the hands of these persons and if one of the Doehms or both of the Doehms are guilty of the allegation against them, I am the first to say let me rot in prison, but we cannot go the route of that Clint Eastwood movie "Hang Em High" by punishing people when there is only an allegation."

"In the meantime we, all of us need to hold to the sacred principle that when you are accused and you are not a flight risk and you are not going to interfere with witnesses, then you have a right to your freedom, because your freedom is guaranteed in the constitution of Belize."

But, there have been defendants who have been granted bail, and even with very restrictive conditions to their release, those defendants still managed to flee the country and criminal prosecution. The concern is that the Doehms will add to that list of fugitives who skipped bail and ran.

Richard "Dickie" Bradley
"You can't punish if somebody didn't live up to their conditions. You can't look at all persons and bring up 'you remember that time they give a boy bail and he went and didn't come back' and then you will use that to punish me. That is not how the justice system work. Each case is on its own merits. If you do not turn up your fugitive from justice you have to hide the rest of your life until you are caught. In this particular case you will see that in fact the judge went extra steps to protect the system, in the sense that now the American Embassy, the mighty United States of America through their embassy is to make sure they don't go to America or Canada or anywhere through any facilitation from them. Where are they going to go? If they go to the States, they will bring them back. How will you reach the States if you don't have a passport? What sometimes happens I should say to you, because I do know, what does happens sometime an American citizen says nothing to his embassy, claims to have misplace or lost the passport and they give him a temporary travel document. The judge has covered up that loophole. No system is full proof, but remember the principle that the judge is there to uphold the liberty of a person."

While exiting from the hearings, media workers tried to put questions to the two accused.

Reporter
"And do you missed her (Faye)?"

Anke Doehm
"Yes."

So, as we told you, the Justice Hanomansingh granted them bail of $10,000 each. He gave them a long list of conditions by which they must abide, or else bail will be revoked.

Most importantly, they are not allowed to leave the country until the criminal case against them is concluded.

There is also the specific conditions that they must hand over their travel documents to the US Embassy to be retained until the charge of cruelty to a child is concluded.

Also, they must report to the Queen Street Police Station every Monday, and they must attend every adjournment of the case against them.

While the judge was trying to find out which police station they must report to, the attorneys told the court that it is best that they report to the Queen Street Police Station, because the couple has moved out of San Pedro Town.

We are told that only Anke Doehm managed to meet bail through a bail bondsman this evening, and it is expected that her husband, David, will do so on Monday.

Channel 7

David & Anke Doehm Bail Court Hearing

David and Anke Doehm were granted Supreme Court Bail of $10,000 each for the charges of Cruelty to a Child in the death case of Faye Lin Cannon. Angry protesters from San Pedro chanted "Justice for Faye" while the court was in session in Belize City. Needless to say, everyone was disappointed at the outcome of the court hearings as the Doehms walk free for the time being.

Here is some real truth from a Belizean mother: Kera Garbutt - Ladyville
"I don't live in San Pedro, I am from Ladyville, but when I heard the news about what happened to baby Faye, it touches me deep, because I have a little girl that is 15 years old. If it was me and if I had a man and they (the police) came to my house to find my 13 year old daughter dead, we definitely would have gotten charge for murder the same day. We would have been spending our time in jail until our case comes up to prove that it's not us who kill the person. At the end of the day we don't want them to get bail."
Anyone think we are going to see another John McAfee disappearing act here? Do they really think a bond and no passport is going to keep them here while they "investigate" the murder?
My bet is that they don't have the balls, connections or street smarts to go on the run. McAfee was never charged and out on bail, that was a different story. Nanes had a sh*tload of money to use, these two seem to be nothing better than leaches, child abusers/molesters/murderers.
I think you mean "more" and not "better" (your last line). Well I hope so.
We will see! Is their store still operating or did thy close it up?
She was just walking down the street towards her store with an angry group following.
Just passed the store half an hour ago - it was shuttered up - nothing other than a small black ribbon on the top of the hurricane door.
https://www.facebook.com/SanPedroSun/videos/1605730986128172/

Anke Doehm Packs Up And Leaves Ambergris Caye In Four Hours

On Sunday, July 23, eye witnesses reported seeing Anke Doehm boarding the 10:30a.m. Ocean Ferry Water Taxi leaving Belize City with destination to San Pedro. Word quickly spread around San Pedro Town and residents lined up to confirm her arrival on Ambergris Caye.

Chanting "You Murdered Faye", those who gathered followed her as she walked on the beach, to Central Park, where she crossed over to Front Street (Barrier Reef Drive) to meet the nearest taxi past her store Rubi Moon.

Shortly after, Anke and her companion returned to the water taxi and left the island on the 4p.m. boat. Ambergris Today met up with Anke at the Ocean Ferry Belize City terminal where she was seen assisted by three more people, reportedly all Belizeans, who helped her with her luggage and drove her away.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the Ambergris Today

Anke and David Doehm move to Reggae Street in Belize City

Doehm's Domicile Under Scrutiny In Port Loyola

American couple David and Anke Doehm may have moved out of San Pedro - but they continue to face harassment. Today's Amandala reports that they are staying at this non-descript home in the Port Loyola area and residents of the area want them out. We spoke to one resident who says the community wants to organize a protest - but police have asked him to hold it down for the time being. Police have instituted hourly patrols in the area. The resident told us that there are "about 50" children living in the area and their parents are concerned for their safety.

They are renting form a prominent businessman and landlord in the area.

The Doehm's have been charged for "cruelty to a child" - for the death of their adopted daughter Faye Lin Cannon. Her adopted sisters have all been taken into foster care.

Channel 7

Scram!!!

Arguably the most hated persons in San Pedro, Anke and David Doehm, have relocated to Belize City because San Pedranos have told them in no uncertain terms that they are not welcome to remain on the island after the brutal death of a 13-year-old girl who was in their care.

Tonight, however, residents of Reggae Street on Belize City's southside contacted Amandala to express their discomfort and displeasure with their new neighbors.

The Doehms moved in at around 10 o'clock this morning, but neighbors want them to move out immediately, because they fear that their presence might disrupt the peace in their community.

"Right here at this blue apartment building, the lady and the man who is accused of the little girl's death in San Pedro, is living in this area, and we, the residents of this area, are not pleased to have these people residing here," said one man, who further commented, "We would like them to go to the Kolbe Foundation, because our life is at stake. So we would like them to get out of this neighborhood as quickly as possible. They moved in here today, and we would like them to move out tonight."

Another woman who has lived on Reggae Street since 1989 told Amandala, "Me nuh want dey kinda people back yah, because they attract attention, and they attract things weh nuh fi happen to people."

She claimed that the Doehms were already considered "criminals," and so she did not want anyone seeking justice for Faye Lin Cannon, to come and "stone and shoot up in the area."

According to her, the lives of innocent residents are now in danger in an already poorly lit community.

"If yuh da wa hated person u nuh fi live inna wa community weh people love people. We nuh fight back yah, we nuh quarrel back yah, we watch one another wid love," she added.

Another woman echoed her sentiments, telling Amandala, "This neighborhood is getting peaceful. We just need them to move out of the apartment. My mother lives across from them, and they are putting our children at risk."

"Di same thing dem people da San Pedro want, da di same thing we want, get dem people inna Kolbe," said another man who wished to remain anonymous.

If the Doehms do not leave the area, residents say they, too, will lead protests to get them out by tomorrow, Friday.

The Doehms declined to comment to Amandala tonight.

They were recently released on Supreme Court bail after they were charged with cruelty to a child in connection with the death of their 13-year-old adopted child, Faye Lin Cannon, who, police reports say, had been physically and sexually abused before she died.

Amandala

And they get a police escort to the island? Have you ever seen a Belizean treated this way? Why the special treatment of a police escort? https://www.facebook.com/ambergristoday/videos/1730487506996652/
https://www.facebook.com/SanPedroSun/videos/1612052862162651/
Originally Posted by dabunk
And they get a police escort to the island? Have you ever seen a Belizean treated this way? Why the special treatment of a police escort? https://www.facebook.com/ambergristoday/videos/1730487506996652/

First of all, this is in no way a defense on the Doehms. But rather a defense of Belize and like countries, as opposed to totalitarian countries. Belize has a constitution the gives the presumption of innocense to individuals until proven guilty in a court of law. It also gives those same individuals the protection from violence against them.
And to your point of how Belizeans are treated, I have seen numerous articles in the press of child molestation. I have not seen any similar videos on Facebook, or in the press,showing any outrage or demonstrations against those committing these offeanses. Now granted, I am not aware of any of those resulting in the death of the children molested, but the crimes are still horrendous. And one could ask the question: "where are the demonstrations against those molesters"?
Just thoughts for contemplation.
Bywarren From my own personal experience having volunteered as a teacher in Hattieville Spending time in both max and med tangos,I can attest to many Belizeans accused of the same crime as these folks and never granted bail. They sat in Hattieville for years at time before their cases ever came to trial. And yes they do not make the news like these folks as they were locked up as soon as it was found out. These people are getting special treatment they do not deserve Sadly, as in the US, if you have the money you can get away with murder Sexual abuse of young girls is rampant in Belize.
So is your position that some peoples constitutional rights should not be protected because others are not?
Is that not an indictment on the Belize legal system by not providing legal representation by
court appointed attorneys for those who cannot afford to hire their own?
There is also the issue of even if bail is granted, they still have to have the funds to post bail.

Anke Doehm Shunned in San Pedro

Suspected child-killer Anke Doehm was in San Pedro for a couple hours this weekend, but there was no warm welcome for the once popular fashion boutique owner believed to have murdered her adopted child, Faye Lin Cannon, 13. After learning that she had left for the island via ferry from Belize City at 10:30am on Sunday, a delegation of islanders waited for her.

According to our colleagues from Ambergris Today, persons followed Anke Doehm and an unknown woman as they walked up the beach and made their way to the apartment at Grand Caribe which investigators say was the murder scene. There Doehm packed up several bags and left the island on the 4:00pm ferry. As she walked and even as she waited for the boat, several persons followed, taking pictures and videos, hurling verbal taunts and invectives at her, accusing her of murdering her own daughter.

On Friday, both Anke and David Doehm were released on bail of $10,000 each after a hearing before Justice Denis Hanomansingh. They had been denied bail at the Magistrate Court level the previous week after being arraigned for Cruelty to a Child. The DPP's Office objected to bail primarily on the grounds that the couple had no real ties to Belize and were real flight risks. Operating a business on the island at any point in the future seems unlikely, and the adoptive father of Faye Lin Cannon's three siblings (not David Doehm) has applied for custody. Still, Justice Hanomansingh granted bail and ordered that they must hand over their travel documents to the US Embassy.

While there is outrage at the couple being granted bail, there are also queries of why they were not charged for murder. When Police reported to the apartment and found the lifeless body of Faye Lin, both David and Anke were there. Investigators have claimed that the child was murdered in that apartment, by persons there. So why no murder charge?

In an interview granted after the arraignment of the couple last week, DPP Cheryl Lyn Vidal explained that before taking anybody to Court, "we have to have evidence to show that an offence has been committed and that is the person who committed the offence. Of course here it is obvious that an offence has been committed. She did not die of natural causes. According to the Forensic Examiner she died from compression to her chest that was significant enough to produce her death. So providing that the offence has been committed is not the difficult part. The difficult part is saying beyond a reasonable doubt who caused the death, who committed the offence. And that is where we are now with this investigation, trying to gather the information that would enable us to say that a particular person or more than one particular person working together brought about the death of Faye Lin. But we need to have specific evidence in relation to any person that we take before the Court. We can't say for instance that they were the adults there, they were in the home, it must be them so let us take them before the Court. That, as I'm sure you appreciate, is not how this works."

David and Anke Doehm are said to have left the island for good and we are told they will be living in Belize City until their trial.

The Belize Times

Not getting preferential treatment, but the courts are following the law and police rendered post-hearing protective services, which this couple will need staying where they are now. The couple have lawyers to make sure of that and stay out of jail. Nothing untoward happening in this case I am aware of, other than the couple seem to have access to more $ than the average person living here and can afford lawyers, relocation, etc
No preferential treatment? How many people have you seen in Belize get a police escort to remove their belongings from the Island? To remove items from a scene of a crime no less?
There is a reason the lady holding the scales of justice is blindfolded.
Perhaps you should put your prejudice aside and be thankful Belize is a country that adheres to the principle of" innocent until proven guilty" and provides for the safety of ALL until they have their time in court.
Now if you can show incidents where the safety of Belizeans who were charged with similar crimes were not given the same protections, then that would be an indictment on Belize and its legal system, not case where others were give preferential treatment.
Belize should be complemented on how they are handling this situation, not criticized.
That is a real load of carp there! Justice is blind because it is not supposed to differentiate because of race, creed, or color or nationality. They are getting preferential treatment because of their race and nationality.
You are showing your prejudice and reluctance to accept the constitutional rights of all and the legal principal of "innocent until proven guilty". Fortunately Belize is not.
Consider the fact of rights for "all" or "white Americans" living in Belize?
they should be happy they do not live in this country http://nypost.com/2017/07/31/man-wh...-publicly-executed-at-point-blank-range/
I just read about the same execution in Yemen in the NYT this morning and thought the same, although it appears the man was tried and convicted by the Houthis. I agree, I love due process even for those I don't like at all.
For being accused of MURDER, I sure would have thought that the bail should have been 10X's the amount, Being that their court date is not until 2018, bail should have been given, but it was not nearly enough! If they could not have met it, oh well, at least it was offered......just my opinion. Turning this into a racist issue is irrelevant !!
They have not been charged with murder sadly, only cruelty to a child. Police are still screwing around and not charging them, no one knows what they are waiting for.
Maybe for a solid enough to case to stick so it won't get thrown out as usual?
Question ...... what is the goal here? I think when the emotions die down the goal of the courts and law enforcement should be to take bad guys out of circulation. Ten years in Hattieville is a good start and meanwhile they are on ice while other investigations continue.
Yes, charged with cruelty to a child officially, but "accused" of murder as we all know- but for the time being I guess that's all the courts could come up with, and again, the bail should have been so much,higher, I just wish that's what the judge would have done- I agree with you Diane, at least with a possible non-attainable bail - they would have had to wait for their trial in prison, instead, they're in a community where they are understandably not wanted
Not siding with them but according to the law they are innocent until proven guilty. They should be put away for a long time just on cruelty to a child.
That's not prediges he is showing it's flat out bigotry. I was wondering when it would come through.
Agreed on the bail these folks make 60K US free and clear of Belize taxes just from child support let alone the income from the store. That bail was a drop in the bucket to them. Judge should have considered that first and foremost.
Sure, it's important to presume innocent until proven guilty, especially in this day & age of fake news & social media. But this is an exceptional case given the following, documented facts:

� Anke & David have a documented history of inexplicable rage & violence toward others, per the 3-year Court Order issued against them on November 9, 2011 in Hawaii to protect a neighboring family from their persistent & obscene threats of violence & inexplicable rage. ( https://www.dropbox.com/s/to6oaoa9ipipzbu/Official%20TRO%20against%20Doehms.pdf?dl=0)
� Since at least 2011, numerous witnesses in the US & Belize have been disturbed enough by the routine neglect and/or child endangerment they witnessed relative to the Doehm's 4 adopted daughters to report Anke & David to child protective services.
� As witnessed in Hawaii & Belize, the Doehms were not that social & did not socialize their daughters with other children or otherwise.
� As witnessed in Hawaii & Belize, the Doehms neglected their daughters' safety, welfare & education, often not sending their daughters to school for years at a time.
� Per Faye's short stint in public school, school officials report she was a very bright student with no mental disabilities or self-abuse.
� Faye was found sexually abused & beaten to death in Anke & David's home.
� Autopsy reports reveal Faye also had older injuries indicative of horrendous sexual & physical abuse.
� When Anke realized Faye died from the physical injuries inflicted in their home, Anke's first reaction & attempt to defer blame was to blame Faye, claiming she was mentally disturbed & abused herself. If that were true, there would be sufficient evidence & a documented history (medical records, doctors' visits, teacher reports, adoptive father's testimony, etc.), but no such evidence or witnesses have surfaced. To quite the contrary, all known witnesses, including school officials & teachers, contradict Anke's obscene allegation.

Given all the documented facts & evidence suggesting Anke & David are responsible for their daughter's tragic & untimely death in their home, the conclusions of guilt many have drawn are not unjustified. In fact, their conclusions are supported by a great deal of evidence.

Granted, we still have yet to see if Anke or David will produce any circumstantial evidence that may suggest someone else in their household beat & murdered Faye. If so, who? After stooping so low as to falsely allege Faye was responsible for her own death, might they also attempt to blame one or more of their other daughters for this inhumane & malicious abuse? I pray they don't! Or, might they finally admit the truth & simply tell the Court what really happened? Only time will tell. Whatever the case, it seems quite clear that any circumstantial evidence they may produce will be met with overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

And for those who don't know or never encountered this family, please know Anke is the primary instigator of evil in their home. While living next to them in very close quarters with many open windows, we learned that no one in that home did anything without Anke's expressed approval, not even David. She ruled the roost & they served in that home at her pleasure.

Even so, she walked into a Hawaii court room acting as if she was a pathetic & feeble little mom from Germany who just didn't know or understand what she was being accused of. Yet, she was rightfully accused of persistently & obscenely harassing & threatening her neighbors, my family. By the grace of God, the Court saw through her pathetic fa�ade and issued a 3-year Court Order protecting my family from their obscene harassment, threats & violence. I mention this because I suspect she's attempting to pull the wool over the court's eyes in Belize too.

Based upon our experience living in the same duplex with that family, we recognized Anke as evil incarnate & David a close second. Yet, Anke is the master manipulator & control freak who dictated everything that went on in that home. Keep in mind, that is the same home in which a defenseless 13 year old girl was physically & sexually abused to her death.

I'm not excusing David in the least, far from it, as he's a close second. Yet, he led a pretty ordinary life before he married Anke & has older children from a previous marriage who weren't reported to have been subjected to this kind of neglect & horrendous abuse.

Anke is the gasoline to this fire & based upon all we witnessed & all we've learned since, it seems clear to us that Anke is primarily responsible for Faye's death, as she's the only one who could have suggested, encouraged and/or allowed it to happen. We suspect others in the home, including David, very likely inflicted abuse at Anke's direction or encouragement, but make no mistake . . . Anke ruled the roost & dictated all that happened. Even so, we must let the evidence play out.

But if they flee, I hope everyone familiar with Faye's tragic & untimely murder, not to mention the neglect & abuse (physical, sexual & emotional) she suffered will acknowledge the surmounting evidence & do everything we can to bring these two back to justice. That's the very least Faye & her sisters deserve!

STATEMENT FROM FAYE LIN CANNON'S FATHER

My name is Dave Cannon, I am the adoptive father of Zoe Lin Cannon, Mia Lin Cannon, Faye Lin Cannon and Siri Lin Cannon. I would like to thank the citizens of San Pedro Town for your heartfelt condolences and your support for my daughters and me during these difficult times. I know that San Pedranos are dedicated to knowing the TRUTH about what happened to my daughters, and dedicated to justice for Faye Lin Cannon. I know that many people witnessed how my daughters were treated over the last five years that they lived here in San Pedro Town. I am asking everyone who witnessed, first hand, how my daughters were treated to please go to the San Pedro Police Department and make a sworn statement to one of the Criminal Investigations Bureau Officer, so that the TRUTH WILL COME OUT!

This is the very best way for San Pedranos to help achieve Justice for Faye Lin Cannon!

Please keep my daughters and me in your prayers!
Thank you,
Dave Cannon

Well, HIwhyEMom, your statement is jarring, and you speak from experience with these two and their daughters.
I truly hope you contact the San Pedro police (or the Belize Judiciary) and offer to make yourself available for your testimony.

Faye needs this.
My name is Dave Cannon, I am the adoptive father of Zoe Lin Cannon, Mia Lin Cannon, Faye Lin Cannon and Siri Lin Cannon. I would like to thank the Citizens of San Pedro Town for your heart felt condolences and your support for my daughters and I during these difficult times. I know that San Pedranos are dedicated to knowing the TRUTH about what happened to my daughters and dedicated to Justice For Faye Lin Cannon. I know that many people witnessed how my daughters were treated over the last 5 years that they lived here in San Pedro Town. I am asking everyone who witnessed, first hand , how my daughters were treated to please go to the San Pedro Police Dept and make a Sworn Statement to one of the Criminal Investigations Bureau Officers, so that the TRUTH WILL COME OUT!! This is the Very Best opportunity for San Pedranos to help achieve Justice For Faye Lin Cannon!! In fact this is the Very Best opportunity to achieve Justice For All Of My Daughters!! Please understand, that the next step in the Trial for the Charges of Cruelty to a Child, is on August 24 2017. As has been reported in the Media, that will be the Discovery Phase of the Trial, when the Director of Public Prosecution will bring evidence before the Judge to support the charges of Cruelty to a Child. So it is very important that anyone who has information regarding how my daughters were treated, please come forward and make a Sworn Statement to the Police as soon as possible. That way your Statement can be processed by the Police and the Director of Public Prosecution in time to be presented to the Judge on August 24 2017.

Please, Please come forward and make your Statement to the Police!!!

Your Statement will have a positive effect as Evidence in the Director of Public Prosecutions Case!!

Your Statement will make a difference!!

Each and every one of your Statements will be greatly appreciated by my Daughters and I!!

Thank You!
Dave Cannon
August 10th 2017

Doehm Couple Back To Court

A month ago, we told you about the high profile case out of San Pedro involving the American couple, David and Anke Doehm. They were charged with cruelty to a child for the death of their 13 year-old adopted daughter, Faye Lin Cannon, after a week of being investigated but not charged with murder. Well, they've been out on bail, living in Belize City, staying under the radar while they await today's adjournment of their case in the Magistrate's Court.

The DPP's Office committed to provide partial disclosure to them so that they can see the evidence that the police has amassed against them for the questionable death of their daughter. Crown Counsel Jacqueline Willoughby showed up, and did just that. She handed over a sheaf of police witnesses statements that she intends to use to convict them of the negligence which directly led to Faye's death.

That means that the couple is one step closer to facing a full trial for the offense, and after the hearing, we asked Crown Counsel Willoughby for an interview. She explained briefly that there are 24 witness statements against them so far, and she is hoping that at the next adjournment, she's provide them with the rest of the prosecution's evidence:

Daniel Ortiz, reporter
"What exactly was provided to the 2 defendants today?"

Jacqueline Willoughby, Crown Council
"Mostly statements. We are still waiting for the other scientific matters."

Daniel Ortiz, reporter
"Are you able to give us a broad overview of the number of statements that have been provided to the defendants and maybe a broad summary of the contents of those statements if you would?"

"I will tell you that there are about 25 or so statements. In terms of the contents, that will be left for the trial."

Daniel Ortiz, reporter
"So what exactly is left for the rest of the disclosure to be delivered by September 20th?"

"Scientific matters, like perhaps you test like the other test that may have been done on tissue and that kind of thing. The fact is the DPP office doesn't do testing. And so it is going to be heavily reliant on whatever circumstances out there. But I don't think that it would be wise for me to comment on whether or not I am certain or not. I am just going to say is we are relying on the people who conduct this kind of work to be completed and if it done, then we go. If not, as you may have heard in court, we have agreed that if there has to be any changes we will communicate and change in necessary."

The case has been adjourned for September 20, when the results of those forensic tests are expected to be to be in. If the DPP's Office is able to provide the rest of the disclosure, the preliminary inquiry will take place on October 5. If the results are not ready, the PI will be rescheduled for a later date.

As we reported, on Monday July 3, the Doehms called San Pedro police to their condominium unit on Northern Ambergris Caye where they lived for 3 years before Faye's death.

Anke Doehm told police that Faye woke up at around 7 a.m. that day, asked for some water and went back to bed. 15 minutes later, David Doehm found her unresponsive. A doctor confirmed that she died, but it was not a natural death. She had multiple bruises on the arms and legs, and a swelling on the right side of her head, which had a cut. The results of a postmortem examination revealed that she had been physically and sexually abused. The examination found that she died from chest compression. Someone pressed down on her chest hard enough that the pressure broke 3 of her ribs and punctured her heart.

Channel 7

American Couple Accused of Child Cruelty David and Anke Doehm Back to Court

After a month's adjournment, Americans David and Anke Doehm went back to Magistrate's Court today for the continuation of the case against them for the charge of cruelty of to a child.

They're waiting for the prosecution to provide them with the rest of the evidence which will be used to prove that they are criminally responsible for the death of their 13 year-old adopted daughter, Faye Lin Cannon.

At the last hearing, Crown Counsel Jacqueline Willoughby informed the court that the prosecution was waiting for the results of forensic tests which will make up part of the evidence the Doehm's will have to face. There was an undertaking that if those results were ready, they would be disclosed to the defendants on today's date, if not, the case would be adjourned to a further date to allow for more time.

So, when the Doehm couple showed up before Chief Magistrate Sharon Frazer today, they were informed that the prosecution is being allowed another adjournment until October 17.

Those forensic tests are still not ready, so after being given their new date that they must return, they left the courtroom - still on bail.

The DPP's Office intends to prosecute them for the high-profile and very questionable death of their daughter, Faye Lin Cannon, on San Pedro on July 3. Police found out about her death when the couple called them to their condominium on Northern Ambergris Caye.

Their explanation to police was that she woke up about 7 o'clock that morning, asked for water, and went back to bed. David Doehm reportedly went to check on her and found her unresponsive. Anke Doehm told police that she suffered from mental illness, and that she had episodes where she would hit her head against a wall. Anke Doehm also claimed that she was refusing to eat for 3 weeks.

Contrary to the mother's statement to police, a post-mortem conducted on Faye's body indicated that she was physically and sexually abused.

At this time, the prosecution has already submitted 24 witness statements to the court, which will be used against them.

Channel 7

Doehms' court case once again adjourned
The 'Cruelty to a Child' case against American couple David and Anke Doehm continued on Wednesday, September 20th when they returned to the Magistrate Court in Belize City. The prosecution was expected to provide the rest of the evidence, which seeks to prove that the duo is criminally liable for the death of Anke's adoptive daughter Faye Lin Cannon. That evidence, which includes results from forensic tests, was not ready to be disclosed, and as such, the case was adjourned until October 17th. After being in police custody for a few weeks, they were each granted bail of $10,000BZ, which they met, and were then set free. Under the terms of the bail, the couple is to report to the Queen Street Police Station every Monday, in Belize City, while the murder investigation continues. A preliminary inquiry is set for October 5th in San Pedro Town. However, since the forensic evidence is not available as yet, it is not certain if that date will change.

David Doehm found dead in Belize City Hotel Room

On Thursday, October 5th, the Belize Police Department confirmed the discovery of the body of David Doehm inside a hotel room at the Ramada Princess Hotel and Casino. According to reports, police were called to the scene sometime after noon. Upon inspection, they discovered the body in room 523, allegedly with a plastic bag over his head. So far, besides the confirmation of the deceased identity, police have yet to give out an official statement on the incident.

David Doehm's Carefully Calculated Suicide In Room 523 The names David And Anke Doehm burst into the national spotlight in July when their daughter Faye Lin Cannon was found dead in their San Pedro condo - the victim of neglect and abuse. Well tonight, that story has taken a shocking twist: David Doehm was found dead in a Belize City hotel room - room 523 at the Princess Hotel and Casino. By all indications, he had taken his own life, and done so in a most unusual way. 7News has confirmed that Doehm was found with a suicide note beside him, and a plastic bag over his head which is consistent with asphyxiation.

But, it seems he went to lengths to make sure his end was quick: 7News has confirmed that police found a tank of nitrogen gas beside him. A receipt found in the room showed that he bought the tank of nitrogen, took it into the room - and used that to asphyxiate himself. The way nitrogen works is that breathing in the gas, reduces oxygen to dangerously low levels - knocking the person unconscious after one or two breaths, and kills them shortly after. The plastic bag is used to keep the gas in.

Police say that he checked in alone yesterday and we know that his body was found at around 12:30 by a cleaner. When our team got there at around 1:30 we saw a lot of police activity an ambulance arrive. The ambulance left - since that service does not transport the dead - and then police got in position to process the scene and remove the body.

That finished around 3:30 when the body was removed on a stretcher which had to be taken down 5 flights of stairs, wrapped in a yellow covering. From there it was put into the police truck and they left for the morgue.

His wife Anke Doehm was not there; she spent the day at a family court with her attorney Rachel Montejo in the case having to do with the custody of her other two daughters who are in foster care.

This evening, 7News was there when she came back to her Belize City apartment on Reggae Street in the Port Loyola area. She was in tears - having gotten the news of her husband's apparent suicide just a few hours earlier. Her attorney told us she's in a state of shock:...

Rachel Montejo - Attorney for Doehm
"We came out of court this afternoon, sometime after 3:00, I believe. Police were there to inform us of something and so we went by the police station, the CIB office. At this time, we have not been told much but for the fact that her husband passed away. So, we await further information from police tomorrow but my client was shocked about the news. Police informed us that it may be a suicide; it looks that way. But we've not been told. Yes, we are still waiting for information."

David Doehm emerges as one of the most confounding figures in recent memory. He was Faye Lin Cannon's stepfather; Anke Doehm had already adopted the child and her two sisters from China when they became a couple in Hawaii some years ago. Anke and David Doehm came to Belize in 2012. In July of this year, 13 year old, Faye Lin Cannon was found dead din the family's condo as a result of extreme physical and sexual abuse. There wasn't enough evidence to charge David and Anke Doehm for murder, so they were charged for cruelty to a child. The couple was forced to relocate to the Port Loyola area of Belize City where - as we show you earlier - they were renting an apartment from their bail bondsman. Reports are that he left the apartment yesterday at around 9:30 with a bag in his hand. Doehm reportedly went to another major city hotel, and then went to the Princess. Anke Doehm did know that her husband left to go to a hotel, in fact, this afternoon she reportedly went to different hotels including Princess to check where he was because she had not heard from him. She did see the early police activity at princess but did not know it was her husband they were there for. She returned back to court and was later informed of his suicide after it was confirmed.

His life ends with more questions than answers as his role in the death of Faye Lin Cannon is not known - but ending his life as he has in this manner, certainly suggests a man with a very heavy load. His wife Anke continues to face the charge of child cruelty, and is also in a custody dispute for her children…. Police are not calling it a suicide at this time and say a post mortem examination will be conducted.

Channel 7

David Doehm, 'Tired of Life,' Found Dead in Princess Hotel Room

There have been nine deaths reported across the country in the span of one week. But the last twenty-four hours have been especially bloody, with four deaths reported - two in Belize City, one in Corozal and another in Roaring Creek, Cayo. Our top story tonight is the suicide of David Doehm inside a room at the Ramada Princess Hotel and Casino. He was found this afternoon in a room on one of the upper floors facing the pool side next to B.T.L. Park. Police say the fifty-nine-year-old American retiree had a plastic bag over his head with a tube that led from a small Nitrogen tank to the inside of the bag; beside him a hand-written note. Information to News Five is that Doehm checked into the hotel room on Wednesday morning. This morning, he was visited by his wife, Anke and security at the hotel would last see him alive around eleven a.m. until a cleaner found him dead. In the note, we are told; he wrote that he was tired of this life. Anke reportedly went back to the hotel after a custody hearing at the family court, but would then learn that he had taken his life. David and Anke were charged with cruelty to a child - specifically, thirteen-year-old Faye Lin Cannon, discovered dead in a rented condo room in north Ambergris Caye on July third, as well as possession of Valium, a controlled substance. They were out on bail and awaiting preliminary inquiry at the Magistrate's Court. But something went tragically wrong today. Aaron Humes traces the last movements of the Doehms and why their story may have had something to do with David's sudden end.

David and Anke Doehm were scheduled to appear at the Family Court this morning for a hearing on custody of their three remaining adopted children. They were being challenged by the girls' natural father, David Cannon, for custody. A few hours after the hearing, a world away from their previous residence on Reggae Street in the Southside, David was found apparently dead in his hotel room just before one this afternoon. Police have not confirmed any signs of violence to the body, and the report of a plastic bag found covering his head is not confirmed. Anke Doehm has not been located at this time. It is an unexpected turn in a case that has gripped the country since the discovery of thirteen-year-old Faye Lin Cannon's battered body in the Grand Caribe rented condo in July. From the start, police on the island suspected murder.

Channel 5

David Doehm's Chilling Suicide Note

Yesterday we told you about David Doehm's apparent suicide at the Princess Ramada. As we told you, the 59 year old appears to have left behind a suicide note. And today a picture emerged of what could be that note. Police will not make any further comment on the case, and would not comment on the note, but in it, the writer states, "I am here to end my own life, by my own hand and without the assistance or knowledge of anyone else."

The note goes unto speak about death by Nitrogen inhalation, and concludes that the writer is the victim of, quote, "a witch hunt conducted by the government of Belize."

The note seems to continue on the other side of the paper - and presumably that would detail the so called "witch hunt", but we don't know what it says, because the picture is only of the front side of the note.

Based on police sources, we can say with a fair degree of confidence that this is David Doehm's authentic suicide note found by police in his hotel room.

Doehm stood accused of child cruelty leading to the death of his 13 year old step-daughter Faye Lin Cannon in July of this year. The news of his suicide came yesterday, just as his wife Anke was just finishing a long day of family court in a custody case for her other daughters. Doehm's lawyer says she was in a state of shock upon hearing the news. 7News was there when she got home:

Sahar Vasquez reporting
When David Doehm was found dead in room 523 at the Princess/Ramada - the news of his suicide came as a shock to the Belizean public but none more than his wife Anke Doehm.

A few hours after hearing the unexpected news, a distraught Doehm walked briskly to her little apartment on Reggae Street after a long day at family court with tears rolling down her eyes.

Doehm checked into the Ramada Hotel alone yesterday and his body was found around 12:30 pm by a cleaner. He had a plastic bag over his face. He had used a tank of nitrogen to asphyxiate himself. The inhalation of nitrogen can knock a person unconscious after a few breaths, and in his case that is exactly what he wanted. A suicide note was also found in the room as well. Around 3:30 Police brought out his lifeless body wrapped in a yellow covering and put it in the pan of their pickup truck.

Anke Doehm reportedly knew her husband had gone to a hotel but she didn't know which hotel. Earlier in the day she had gone to different hotels to check if her husband was present, including the Ramada. She was not able to get any confirmation regarding her husband's stay when she went there but on her way out she did see some police activity. Little did she know her husband was the reason for the police?

Anke Doehm's future is uncertain. Her 13-year-old daughter is gone, her two other girls are in foster care, and now her husband who was always seen by her side is gone.

Police say that no date has been set for his postmortem examination - which is unusual since post mortem examinations are usually conducted the day after death.

Anke Doehm still faces the charge of cruelty to a child.

Channel 7

Yesterday, 59 year old American National David Doehm killed himself in room 523 at the Ramada Belize City Princess Hotel and Casino. He carefully plotted his death as he tied a plastic bag over his head and had funnelled Nitrogen gas into the bag through a rubber tube. Police say that they a found a hand written note next to his body. A page of Doehm's note has surface and out sources say that it is authentic. We are told that the note is several pages long. In one of the pages, Doehm writes quote, "I am here to end my own life, by my own hand and without the assistance or knowledge of anyone else. The method I chose, oxygen replacement by nitrogen gas, appeals to me in large part due to its being innocuous. Nitrogen is the major component gas in our atmosphere, but in the absence of oxygen it asphyxiates the inhaler without the trauma of CO2 build-up. And the lack of mess appeals to me hence I shy away from imposing the consequences of my action on the people who have to deal with a suicide and the clean-up." End of quote. The note continues quote, "I find my situation odd. How am I in a casino? Having zero interest in going and gambling. But it reminds me of the Arthur Koestler Suicide Not which remarked that "Suicide is to gamble the system of which is known to the gambler only in the event of failure�.. In my case, the Damocles' sword above my head is not a mind destroying disease, but a witch hunt conducted by the government of Belize." End of quote. David and his wife Anke had been charged for causing the death of Anke's 13 year old adoptive daughter, Faye Lin Cannon. While Anke was at court yesterday battling for the custody of her three remaining step daughters, David was in the room committing suicide. Faye Lin Cannon, who was discovered dead at the family condo in San Pedro Town on Monday July 3, had been sexually and physically abused. San Pedro residents blamed the Doehms for her death.

LoveFM

David Doehm claims state 'witch-hunt' in leaked suicide note

This station as a matter of policy normally does not report on suicides or suicide attempts. That is to avoid unwarranted publicity. But the subject of this story is well-known due to the criminal allegations against him, and the manner of his death is rare and intriguing. That is why fifty-six year old retiree David Doehm remains in the headlines tonight, more than twenty-four hours after he apparently took his own life by asphyxiating himself with a tank of nitrogen gas. He was found dead in room number five-twenty-three at the Ramada Princess Hotel and Casino after midday on Thursday, having checked in on Wednesday afternoon. He was seated in a corner of the room facing the window looking out at the sea, face covered by a plastic bag. A hose was taped to his left cheek and led to an empty nitrogen gas tank with two valves open. Identification lay nearby. Part of the content of a three-page note handwritten by him has been leaked. It shows that at the moment of his death he was trying to fathom how he and his wife became, as he alleges, subjects of a so-called witch hunt by the powers that be after being arrested and charged with cruelty to adopted step-daughter Faye Lin Cannon, and suspected of involvement in her murder in July. News Five's Aaron Humes continues our coverage of this story tying the pieces of this puzzle together.

Aaron Humes, Reporting

"As suicides go, the way that David Doehm chose to end his life was most ingenious. With a fifty-five cubic foot tank of liquid nitrogen purchased from Fabrigas Belize Limited, he hooked himself up and put a plastic bag over his head, asphyxiating himself within minutes. But nitrogen, known as an inert gas, is used legitimately and safely in many industries, from juice bottling to hospitals, even to inflating your car tires. Why he chose to end his life this way, however, is a question that only he can answer."

Part of that answer lies in a three-page note found lying beside him by police when they entered room 523 at the Ramada Princess Hotel and Casino around twelve-forty Thursday afternoon. The first page, released anonymously today, speaks of what he alleges is a "witch-hunt conducted by the Government of Belize." That is an obvious reference to the charges of child cruelty he faced in the death of Faye Lin Cannon, who was found dead with severe bruises and signs of sexual assault at their condo in San Pedro in July. The Doehm couple admitted to being aware of injuries, but had tried non-medical methods rather than attend Faye Lin at the hospital. They have strenuously denied any involvement in Faye Lin's death. As for the method of David's death, we have confirmed that the purchase was made on September twenty-eighth, and that he told staff at Fabrigas that he intended to use it for a tire business, but offered no details. In his note, he affirms that he chose nitrogen asphyxiation to avoid having to seek assistance or inform anyone else of what he was doing. That includes his wife Anke, whom he last saw, according to reliable information we have received, earlier on Wednesday, when he left their home on Reggae Street for a business meeting to sell off their clothes business. He was said to have a small suitcase with him. He checked into the Princess around four in the evening and, sometime during the night and following morning, wrote the note and set up the moment of his death. Anke, distraught after learning of her husband's death on Thursday, made the formal identification of his body. Police confirmed that they have not questioned her since. But we understand that he had complained of nothing nor did she see any signs of what was to come. Anke and an attorney attended Family Court on Thursday morning in the ongoing custody battle over the siblings of the late Faye Lin Cannon, which was adjourned for later this month. At the midday break, in the strangest of coincidences, Anke Doehm and her attorney went for coffee at the Princess and saw the commotion outside.� She had no way of knowing that it was her husband being brought out, as police and hotel authorities said they could not give her any information. When we contacted the Princess this morning we were told that managers were in a meeting and would not issue a statement. After returning to court for the afternoon portion of the hearing and after it was completed, she was informed at the Police Station of David's death. There is no word on her state of mind at the moment. How history judges David is even murkier.

Aaron Humes reporting for News Five.

Deaths from nitrogen asphyxiation are rare. In Mexico in 2013, eight party-goers were rendered unconscious and one twenty-one-year-old male was put into a coma after liquid nitrogen was poured into the pool, while one man was killed in Scotland in 1999 after nitrogen spilled at his workplace.

Channel 5

Anke Doehm's case adjourned once again

Today, Anke Doehm appeared before Chief Magistrate Sharon Frazer. Her last court appearance was on September 20, when she made an appearance with her husband David Doehm. As we reported, David Doehm committed suicide on October 5, leaving his wife to face the charge of child cruelty. Today in court, the prosecution, represented by Jacqueline Willoughby, asked for another adjournment since they are still awaiting a forensic report, however, Anke Doehm was provided with another partial disclosure. The American couple was charged with child cruelty after an autopsy on Anke's adoptive daughter, 13-year-old Faye Lin Cannon revealed that the little girl was sexually and physically abused. The case was adjourned to December 7. In the event that Anke Doehm is found guilty, she can face up to 10 years in prison.

LOVEFM

What About Anke's Kids?

For months now we've been reporting on the sage of Anke Doehm, her adopted daughters, and their stepfather, David Doehm. Well, he committed suicide, and she still faces charges of child cruelty. But what about her children? Faye Lin Cannon died from malnutrition and abuse, but there are two other girls who remain in foster care here in Belize. Today the CEO in the Ministry of Human Development gave us an update:...

Judith Alpuche, CEO - Ministry of Human Development
"The children remain in the care of the Department of Human Services and they are receiving counseling. As you can imagine there are lots of issues that they are dealing with coming out of this tragedy."

"So that's where we are with the case. The children continue to be our care and we continue to possible placement with the adopted father, but nothing is settled yet."

Anke Doehm continues her custody battle in Family Court and still faces criminal charges in Magistrate's Court.

Channel 7

Anke Doehm Preliminary Inquiry Put Off to February

In the courts, there is further delay for Anke Doehm, charged with cruelty to a child - her late adopted daughter, thirteen-year-old Faye Lin Cannon. She was scheduled to face preliminary inquiry but after a short appearance the case was adjourned to a date in February of 2018. There is no word on whether the key scientific reports have been completed to be part of the final disclosure for the case. Faye Lin's battered body was found at the couple's San Pedro condo in July, and since then they have faced a firestorm of criticism. Anke's husband David took his own life at the Princess Hotel on October fifth, the same day as a custody hearing scheduled between the Doehms and the father of the remaining three Cannon children, also named David, who remain in the custody of the Human Services Department. Doehm is represented by Senior Counsel Ellis Arnold and remains out on bail.

Channel 5

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board