AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Liebran Kennel Dog shows? - 08/22/17 01:22 AM
Are there purebred dog shows there?
Any Afghan hound breeders??
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: Dog shows? - 08/22/17 11:01 AM
Doubtful. I do recall a national dog show once ..... my favorite competitive category was "Fastest Eating Dog". Not kidding.

What we do have is a lot of fantastic mixed breed dogs that are smart, fun and physically durable. My own little mix is 14.5 years old and still very active and healthy.
Posted By: Katie Valk Re: Dog shows? - 08/22/17 12:18 PM
No, not enough pure breeds for a show. We have had dog shows sponsored by the Humane societies around the country. No breeders of afghan hounds Im aware of and never saw one in country. But best bet is to contact the vets and ask them. Animal Medical Centre in Belize City is the oldest and largest.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: Dog shows? - 08/22/17 04:34 PM
Way back when I was first here SAGA put on a dog show at the Lion's Den. It was wonderful. Categories were: Biggest, smallest, cutest, looks like owner and waggiest tail. My Pepe was a puppy (yellow lab mix) and won waggiest tail and best of show. He became more well known than me. It was so much fun. Since then SAGA has held Halloween dog contests. I would love to seem the original theme again.
My lab mix, Tonto, is a chicken herder. When I got my first 4 day old baby chicks I had to check on them several times a day. I would say, "Tonto, you want to go look at the babies?" Then I got two baby Guinea Hens; I didn't know they could fly. When the guys couldn't catch one that got inside the trunk of the strangler fig tree, it was Tonto who went in and brought her out in his mouth - without hurting the hen.
We love our dogs and so do the tourists. Pepe liked to sit on the golf cart in front of Coconet Internet & Mannalley's and get fed ice cream and have his picture taken. He lived to be ten years old. Tonto was born the day Pepe died. Humm?
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board