AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: gidget Vegetarian traveler - 07/24/01 07:29 PM
One of my friends is a vegetarian, as in doesn't like the taste of meat, so she's not against animal products so much. I'm pretty sure she'll be ok due to rice and beans being a staple, but anyone have any restaurant suggestions?
Posted By: cjd Re: Vegetarian traveler - 07/24/01 07:32 PM
Does she eat seafood? If not, AC is the place to start. There's lots of great seafood rest.
Posted By: Debbie Re: Vegetarian traveler - 07/24/01 07:57 PM
Sweet Basils has the absolute most heavenly salads on this planet. She will LOVE it there. No doubt. Papi's diner serves fresh steamed veggies with his entrees, so try there as well. The veggies were wonderful. Steamed to perfection. Cauliflower, zuccini, baby carrots and brocolli. Many other places all you get is cole slaw. (Not knocking the slaw, but I get tired of it) Also try the Jade Garden. It's chinese, but have some nice vegetarian dishes on the menu. Spicey too, if you like that. Their soup is awesome. And the fruit stands!!!! You won't lack for fresh wonderful fruit. If you have a kitchen in your room, you can pick some veggies up at the store. There's a veggie market on front street. You should be fine. Rice and beans EVERYWHERE!!!
Debbie
Posted By: swayflo Re: Vegetarian traveler - 07/24/01 08:39 PM
I don't eat meat, but I'll occasionly have seafood. I didn't have a problem at all. If you don't eat seafood though it might be kind of hard. Definitly try Sweet Basils, it is delicious!! .

Peace, Susan
Posted By: gidget Re: Vegetarian traveler - 07/24/01 08:42 PM
No- she doesn't eat seafood...
Posted By: denverdan Re: Vegetarian traveler - 07/24/01 09:57 PM
I'm sure your friend will be just fine! I believe "every restaurant" serves some kind of salad, soup, fruit plate, etc.. Wish we made it to Sweet Baisil though... I've heard GREAT things about that one!
Enjoy!!!
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Vegetarian traveler - 07/24/01 10:46 PM
There's plenty of seaweed that washes up on the beach. Bon Appetite!
Posted By: Loie Re: Vegetarian traveler - 07/24/01 11:25 PM
Your friend should be just fine. I don't eat seafood either (which is almost like being vegan in San Pedro).

I found PLENTY of food to eat. Rice & beans (make sure to tell them to leave the meat off otherwise she'll get a huge hunk of chicken) abounds. More & more restaurants are catering to vegetarian needs.

Have a wonderful trip!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: Vegetarian traveler - 07/25/01 01:01 AM
Probably doesn't apply to your friend, but strict vegetarians should keep in mind that many cooks season their rice and beans with some kind of meat, and that, as in Mexico, lard (pork fat) is a staple of many kitchens in Belize. Just because it is bread or vegetables doesn't necessarily mean it has been cooked completely without meat.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: ChilledOut Re: Vegetarian traveler - 07/26/01 12:44 AM
A lot of our friends that live here are true veggies (ie no seafood) and there is plenty of choice. A lot of the restaurants will cook a no meat option if you ask them and certainly if you are staying somewhere with a kitchen there is a wide variety of local and imported veggies to choose from - try the Greenhouse on Front Street for a good selection.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board