AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: awyatt Long Term Info - 08/27/01 04:55 PM
Hello,
I am planning on relocating to A/C sometime after January of 2002. I have sent e-mails out requesting information on long term rentals. Is there anyone out there that can tell me which of the places on A/C are better than the others. Initially I'll be staying for the 6 months required to get residency. Any info is welcomed.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Long Term Info - 08/27/01 05:30 PM
Please send your edress and I can send you some info.
[email protected]
Posted By: mcjennifer Re: Long Term Info - 08/27/01 05:48 PM
As a person in the same boat..it has been challenging over email etc...b/c you can't really tell what the place is like and they seem expensive. It seems that once you are there it is much easier. The Paper (SP Sun) lists rentals in the classified section
Posted By: KC Re: Long Term Info - 08/27/01 07:13 PM
McJen,
When is it that you are going to be in AC? I forgot your dates... Anyway, I hope you find something reasonable, and I hope you keep in touch. I just can't imagine how exciting this is going to be for you.

I know that beach front is going to be lots more expensive, but if at all possible I'd have to go for it. Can't imagine being on A.C. and not waking up to that view.

Also, I was just wondering if you had even considered staying on the mainland, where it is much cheaper. I have not explored the mainland yet, but reading Lan's reports has really made me want to do that.

Anyway... best to ya, and I hope things work out for you.

Kathy
Posted By: mcjennifer Re: Long Term Info - 08/27/01 07:43 PM
Hey KC,

I leave the big city (Seattle) on Sept 29th! I am very excited. Yes, the mainland would be cheaper..but I fell in love with San Pedro. I am excited to spend more time inland though..who knows, maybe I will find a new love!
Posted By: rickcheri Re: Long Term Info - 08/27/01 11:21 PM
A Sabbatical...that is really cool! But i was understanding that the "law" for residency changed to one full year????
Posted By: Richard Chambers Re: Long Term Info - 08/28/01 12:28 AM
AWYATT, Have you been to Belize? If so, have you spent any time on the mainland? Sounds like you need to do some extensive research on the requirements/desireabilities of living there! Use the search capabilities of this board.They can be an enormous help in you decision! AC is NOT the only place in the country!!.....Good luck and happy hunting for you paradise!!...Richard
Posted By: mcjennifer Re: Long Term Info - 08/28/01 12:32 AM
I think RickCheri are right about the 1 year for residency. Are you on sabbatical as well? That is what I am doing.
Posted By: rickcheri Re: Long Term Info - 08/28/01 02:44 AM
mcjennifer...i TRY to take a short Sabbaticakl everyday!! Thru Yoga/meditation! We will be there around Oct.29th-Nov 6th...we should meet up for dinner...and a Palapa Sunday, and Halloween, and the Saga Society benefit at the Hideaway!!! I'm already counting down..trip #8!!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: Long Term Info - 08/28/01 03:56 AM
Regular residency in Belize has for a long time required a year's residency before you can apply (you can only be out of the country for 14 days during that period.) But for residency under the Qualified Retired Persons Incentive Act, there is no residency requirement. Ditto for those investing in Belize or under the Economic Citizenship program.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: rickcheri Re: Long Term Info - 08/28/01 02:08 PM
Lan, when you say "investing" in BZ...does that count if you buy an existing business? We were told differently. That this would not get you residency?
Posted By: mcjennifer Re: Long Term Info - 08/28/01 05:01 PM
Speaking of yoga..are there any yoga groups or anything on the island? I have been wanting to learn!
Yes, lets meet up. Do you run the SAGA benefit? I have written them and offered my help. My career back home is working at a Zoo and on the weekends I volunteer at an animal shelter. So hopefully..i Can be of assistance to SAGA. My heart went out for all the animals in San Pedro.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: Long Term Info - 08/28/01 08:04 PM
Basically the GOB wants new net investments and new jobs for Belizeans. So just buying an existing business without any specific plans for expansion or new jobs probably wouldn't qualify.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: rickcheri Re: Long Term Info - 08/28/01 10:51 PM
mcjennifer...there is i believe one person who does yoga on AC...not much of a demand for it. It is something i would like to do/share once i get there! I am sure you would be a help to Bron and the Saga Society. You can email her at [email protected]. There will be 2 benefits for Saga, one the beginning of Oct. at Royal Palms, with a "dog Show"...it is all weekend long. Then we will be throwing another one around Nov. 3rd...pool party at the Hideaway Hotel!! We usually do a yearly benefit..last 2 have been for the Lions Club. Do some research on your computer about benefits of yoga...teach yourself the breathing techniques, it is of the utmost importance...then if time/schedules permit, maybe we can get together for some "asanas"!!! Can't wait to meet you! Did you see the Oprah show about Sabbaticals??? C or visit beliefnet.com, scroll to bottom and it has some great info about yoga....going to class in a few!!

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 08-28-2001).]
Posted By: mamadoc Re: Long Term Info - 08/29/01 02:17 AM
I know of beachfront 1BR apartment for rent.
Call Eduardo Brown Jr...he is rental agent
011 501 26 2095 office or 011 501 14 6423 cell.
Posted By: ChilledOut Re: Long Term Info - 08/29/01 04:57 AM
There is a yoga class every Saturday that is run at the Island Academy. It is not something that I go to as yet but know several folk that do and so can put you in contact with them if you let me know your email.
Posted By: rickcheri Re: Long Term Info - 08/30/01 03:06 AM
Chilled out.....would LOVE info on the yoga class!! My yoga teacher has been trying to get me to teach it....it's a thought! [email protected]
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board