AmbergrisCaye.com Home

What is the story with the murdered doctor?

Posted By: ATX

What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/26/19 03:06 PM

Trying to convince wife to move that way over the next year or two and this is not what I needed.
Posted By: Ridgebackmix

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/26/19 05:05 PM

We are planning on building one day on Ambergris Caye. It seems like the government, military, local police, etc. needs to crack down hard on gang violence if they want tourism and retirement there to continue to flourish.

https://abcnews.go.com/Internationa...tor-trouble-local-gang/story?id=63929919
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/26/19 09:09 PM

Yes there needs to be a crackdown on these criminals and crimes.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/26/19 10:53 PM

And now this coverage. Not good.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/26/docto...ed-during-week-long-bloodbath-in-belize/

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/27/19 12:25 AM

206 views and only two people have responded. Makes me think its something to worry about.
Posted By: PHELANSR

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/27/19 02:37 AM

Overall crime in Belize has declined, when compared to 2018. It appears this was a "at the wrong place, at the wrong time" for the doctor. Seems the guide had some issues with a local crime gang, that he had an attempt on him the evening prior - yet still took on this doctor for a guided tour. Doesn't make it right, just unfortunate. You hear of some deaths in Belize and its a travesty- the latest news in GERMANY was a nurse who murdered 85 people - and you don't hear a blurb. My wife's German, and I still visit there several times a year. Like anywhere, you need to be aware - I'm just as aware walking RODEO DRIVE in California, downtown Chicago - or even my recent trip to Washington D.C..

Understand, you don't get rapid responses from locals - its a Caribbean Island - we don't sit on our computers all day, most don't even carry a phone. Its why you move to the Caribbean!

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/27/19 04:01 AM

Originally Posted by PHELANSR
Overall crime in Belize has declined, when compared to 2018. It appears this was a "at the wrong place, at the wrong time" for the doctor. Seems the guide had some issues with a local crime gang, that he had an attempt on him the evening prior - yet still took on this doctor for a guided tour. Doesn't make it right, just unfortunate. You hear of some deaths in Belize and its a travesty- the latest news in GERMANY was a nurse who murdered 85 people - and you don't hear a blurb. My wife's German, and I still visit there several times a year. Like anywhere, you need to be aware - I'm just as aware walking RODEO DRIVE in California, downtown Chicago - or even my recent trip to Washington D.C..

Understand, you don't get rapid responses from locals - its a Caribbean Island - we don't sit on our computers all day, most don't even carry a phone. Its why you move to the Caribbean!

I'm tired of people comparing Belize murders to other countries especially the US. I can tell you this I have never heard of someone shot on a fly fishing trip in the US. I am wanting to get away from crime not move to the same thing. Let's not forget about the guy stabbed on Caulker and the 5 lobster Fisherman killed in the last week. It's been a bloody week for the islands of Belize.

I get that people dont sit around their computers. But over 200 people had viewed the thread and only two responded. I appreciate your response and hope something is figured out soon. From the more I read San Pedro doesn't sound safe over the last few years.
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/27/19 12:34 PM

There was a community meeting last night - very well attended. Many useful suggestions from the public. Commissioner of Police laid out a list of substantial actions that are under way.
Social media is not the place to solve this issue. If you want to know what is going on here, be here - if not physically then by way of support of concrete initiatives. Participate for real. Is your property in an area that has a neighborhood watch? If so - join and give support, which may include time and money.
Maybe you haven't heard of anybody shot while fly-fishing in the US - but an unfortunate number of children are killed just going to school, and visitors to your country have been slaughtered in nightclubs ...... so let's just say that we as a human beings have an issue - everywhere - and it needs to be addressed. San Pedro is taking this seriously - but again, social media is NOT where we work it out.
Posted By: Roberto El Vagabundo

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/27/19 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ATX
Originally Posted by PHELANSR

I'm tired of people comparing Belize murders to other countries especially the US. I can tell you this I have never heard of someone shot on a fly fishing trip in the US. I am wanting to get away from crime not move to the same thing. Let's not forget about the guy stabbed on Caulker and the 5 lobster Fisherman killed in the last week. It's been a bloody week for the islands of Belize.

I get that people dont sit around their computers. But over 200 people had viewed the thread and only two responded. I appreciate your response and hope something is figured out soon. From the more I read San Pedro doesn't sound safe over the last few years.

I not really sure what you are requiring from people on this message board?
This was a terrible thing. But what do you reqiire from ?
The meeting last night hast bring up many concerns and ideas/ opinion. Police have certain suspicions. Changes will be made.

Like Ms Diane has said, computer is not where people here get things done. Many times only where rumors ate spread.
But maybe Belize is not the perfect bubble you live from?

Roberto

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/27/19 06:10 PM

You should not move to Belize to get away from crime. You will find there is crime just about any place in the world where there is two or more people. That is unfortunately part of human nature. You should move to Belize if you want a change of lifestyle. This is not Utopia. And it can be downright savage at times. But the majority of the time and the majority of people on the island and in the country are NOT direct victims of crime. The serious crime that is occurring is horrifying and our community together with the police, other security agencies and the local and central government are all working towards finding solutions but there is not simple quick solution. Belize is definitely not for everyone and those of us who live here often have to face that this is not the perfect paradise that many dream about. Our reality is that we have crime and criminals and corruption and many awful things. Our reality is also that we have a stunning clear blue sea, a beautiful living barrier reef, jungles teeming with life and some of the most wonderful friendly loving people you will ever meet in the world. Ex-pats and tourists can typically expect to have a crime free existence - and there are exceptions to that rule. I know we don't want to see comparisons but I have been a victim of crime in the US - it won't stop me going there. I see crime is rampant in many places where I choose to vacation and visit - but that won't stop me from traveling. There are thousands of places I would not choose to relocate to. Of course, to me, I live in a place that touches my heart and soul and despite the crime and problems this is my home that I cherish.
Posted By: Maya House

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/27/19 06:20 PM

As always, Amanda is the voice of reason, and states the truth of the situation with complete accuracy and eloquence.
Thank you for helping to articulate the way so many of us feel.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/27/19 10:55 PM

I get crime happens everywhere. I was just dumbfounded 7 murders occurred out on the water within days of each other. I was glad to see the meeting occur last night and hope more is done. Yes crime happens in the US I just do my best to avoid area it is prevalent. I always assumed fly fishing wouldn't be an hobby I would have to worry about being gun down. I have been looking a property on Ambergris for a while now and have noticed a big uptick in major crimes over the year. Petty theft is ine thing worry about seeing your own blood is another. I was really shocked to here the island had trouble with gangs. Maybe that's my own ignorance for assuming San Pedro wouldn't have gangs. I was also shocked to see some of the responses on other social media sites regarding the murder of Yolanda Requeña. Many women felt she got what she deserved for being "inside" the man's home. Not really and eye for an eye in book but to each his own. Thank yall for the responses. I'm obviously still trying to learn the country.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/27/19 11:34 PM

Sadly you do need to have a reality check when you seriously consider moving to a place like Belize. The dream is what hooks you but you need to be fully aware of what you are considering. There is a bad side to moving here as there is with moving to many places. It may not be the right move for you and many have tried and failed. Our advice is always to never burn your bridges and come here with eyes wide open.
Posted By: BZ Bound

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/28/19 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by ATX
Yes crime happens in the US I just do my best to avoid area it is prevalent.

Heed your own advice and you'll be fine. Murders while fly fishing aren't prevalent in AC. Know where you should or shouldn't be and when. Worrying about the random one off crimes will trap you in your "safe" home that could be hit by an airplane at any moment. As for this recent plague, crime is up and down. You will see a run of bad news, then nothing for a while. There's no rhyme or reason to it. Overall, if you are smart and safe, you won't be the victim. And I know I'm a little more brash about my opinion, but it's definitely built on logic. Belize is beautiful, but growing pains will exist.
Posted By: dabunk

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/28/19 10:10 PM

I hope the Dr and his family are happy it is not prevalent. One is too many Gangs killing each other is one thing. Murder of expats and visitors is increasing Another British tourist was murdered as well the other night
Posted By: Mike Campbell

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/29/19 05:06 PM

Everyone needs to realize that the reason we have gangs and high crime in San Pedro is because of all the tourists. Before when tourism was small crime was small. There is always an increase in crime when an area becomes a tourist mecca. It is the job of the government to spend the resources necessary to address the problem. It is they that gain the most by way of taxes and a certain amount of that money needs to be applied to remedy the negative impacts of tourism as well as the over-taxing of local infrastructure including health care, water supply and waste disposal and this has never happened. San Pedro does not and has never had it's equal share of police officers not to mention the additional needed to deal with the negative impacts of tourism. Concerning tourism in general, crime follows tourism as surely as night follows day. I doubt there is any place a tourist can go without being a target to a certain degree. Most governments realize that and take measures to protect both the locals and the tourists and do not wait for the inevitable crime wave to act. We are in this situation because of lack of action. For the last almost ten years I have tried to draw attention to the issue and it never gets traction. We even had a plan to install cameras and monitor them with quick response 8 years ago. Instead we have done nothing and are always playing catch-up and we are way behind. Proper planning is essential. It does not take a rocket scientist to know that tourism attracts crime and needs to be planned for from the start.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/29/19 07:29 PM

What he said

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/29/19 09:11 PM

Look what the current deaths of tourists is doing to Dominica. Belize economy is tourism based as Mike said. Killing your golden goose by not addressing the problem but putting their heads in the sand

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/30/19 12:48 AM

The problem is being addressed. We may not have all of the solutions but the community and the government is taking steps and making efforts to help us make our home a safer place.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/30/19 01:08 AM

If you believe that I have a bridge to sell you. GOB says that after every expat or tourist is murdered in Belize but nothing is ever done.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 06/30/19 04:33 PM

If you have some idea that's going to change everything overnight, let's hear it. Fact is that we don't know they aren't working on it so why say that? If you have no faith at all, pick a new paradise.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 07/01/19 11:44 AM

I believe the GOB needs to actually followup and do what they promise. Tourist and expat murders have increased in the last 5 years or so and none solved or convicted. Gang warfare increases every year. I have lived here since 2002, my mom is buried in Belize and I hope to be buried next to her, but like her I hope it is of natural causes. Do you really believe GOB has done all it can do or just the normal knee jerk reaction then back to life as usual with no real changes??
Posted By: elbert

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 07/01/19 02:20 PM

Where is the LIKE button?
Posted By: Silverado1

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 07/06/19 01:16 PM

I completely agree with Diane, get involved, go to the meetings and give your imput, be a part of the solution.
Would a checkpoint at the water taxis for non residents help? Im sure they lack the manpower though.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 07/06/19 01:31 PM

Who said the murderers were non residents???
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 07/07/19 08:14 AM

you really think they use public transportation?
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 07/07/19 11:53 AM

Hariette / Silverado - residents, non residents and "them" do use public transportation, on both land and sea. (A couple of weeks ago police checks on mainland public buses resulted in 3 drug-busts.) People in general move around, and the boats carry most of them/us to and from the island. So yes - a manifest and a police presence can be super helpful. As for the residents or non-residents part - freedom of movement around the country is the right of every citizen. Residents go to Belize City and non-residents come to San Pedro - every day. This is about knowing where certain people are and having a chance to grab those who have warrants out or to track those under surveillance.
I am convinced that using the water-taxi terminal in the back would greatly increase security due to centralized surveillance - and, during an emergency such as a hurricane evacuation it would help immeasurably as people look for transport and officials do their best to organize their arrival/support when they reach the mainland.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 07/07/19 03:01 PM

You have freedom of movement in the US but when you catch a plane to go from one city to the next you show ID. You go through security check points to enter a sports stadium, a music festival, a museum, schools etc - the freedom is there and isn't taken from you, but in the interests of safety for all you are counted and sometimes additional security measures are taken.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 07/07/19 03:02 PM

Recently the alleged killers of a couple of shootings used the water taxi and another used one of the domestic airlines to get to and from the island.

Re: What is the story with the murdered doctor? - 07/17/19 04:11 PM

I read yesterday that three other individuals are now in custody for questioning regarding the murder of the tour guide and Dr Swank
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board