Are you in favor of moving the water taxi terminal to where Ruby’s on the beach is?
The plan to KNOCK DOWN Ruby's and build an enormous WATER TAXI terminal in the place has been given the GO AHEAD. Think of the traffic, the 1000 kids RC School just across the street AND the fact that there was a $6 million water taxi terminal built at the back of the town that is hardly being used.
This is not about white people or locals...PUP or UDP...it's about self-serving decisions made by politicians that hurt everyone else.
This is absurd and I can't think of ONE reason that this even makes sense.
There is PEACEFUL ASSEMBLY being planned (not by me but I'm DEFINITELY going to be there) to show concern for the kids of the RC School and our entire town...stay tuned.
I vow to stop using San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxi - it's silly but I hadn't thought of this (thanks Willard) - it IS the best way to express our dislike of this.San Pedro Scoop
Here are the thoughts of the owner of the FIRST tourist hotel in Belize.by Lisa McCorkle Guerrero
Listening to the talk show about the proposed water taxi terminal at Ruby’s.
Is there anyone in this town who wants the water taxi there?
My mom, Celi McCorkle, and I met w the owners of the water taxi, including minister Heredia, a few months ago. And this is how it went down.
1. THEIR reason for not moving in the back is that the entrance/exit is way to shallow for them to go in and out. It would be way to expensive for them to make it deeper.
Our answer: that’s not really our problem. You knew the back was the new area for water taxis and everyone was suppose to move back there.
2. They showed us their blueprints. Quite impressive actually. Huge docking spaces, restaurants, bathrooms and waiting area. So huge actually, over 50 feet of the building extended north right in front of the holiday hotel. I’ve been a developer for 18 yrs. I can read a blueprint. When I pointed out the them that Ruby’s only has 50’ of beachfront and their plan is about 100’ wide, they seemed quite surprised and shocked. Stating that was not possible. I proceeded to explain that quite a few things in life are subject to interpretation but not mathematics. 100’ is 100’ no matter how many ways u want to measure it and Ruby’s is only 50’ wide. I pointed out to them that even if they built entirely in front of the easement, they would still be in front of Holiday. To add injury to insult, the docking spaces are horizontal to the beach on Holidays side. Sooooo...... the boats have to turn in front of our beach to dock into their slips. To put this into perspective. My moms 200’ beachfront property, with her colonial charm hotel and one of the nicest beaches in town will now become a fuel smelling, engine noise, docking area for the water taxi. Bet u her guests will just love️ that! U guys following so far?
3. For those that don’t know, the Holiday Hotel is THE FIRST hotel in this island. My mom Celi, is known as the “Mother of Tourism” is this island. Her response to the entire group, including our cousin, Mr Manuel Heredia Jr. was:
“I am 1000% against this project. U all knew the traffic situation, the school situation, and the space situation (apparently not in the latter) and u still went ahead and purchased this property thinking u will have the political pull to make it go through. This will be the death of me. I am 81 yrs old and this will kill me. And Junior, if u want to be known as the area rep that killed Celi McCorkle, go right ahead. I have always remained politically quiet, but I will put all my efforts and my family’s into supporting whichever party will be against this with me and I will do whatever it takes to block it.” Slight paraphrasing but that was the jest.
The minister did tell my mom he would support what the ppl of this community want. Let’s see!
3. The mayor and the town council are all AGAINST this plan as well.
4. There u have it folks! This is what we know and quite frankly, this is the initial rounding cry to whoever will back our movement when we need you! Half of the locals in this town worked for my mom at one point or the other in their lives. The Holiday Hotel should be made a national monument in this country not be destroyed by greedy people who have no ties to this community!Facebook discussion here
Found this article from just a little over a year ago. The town council "definitely against" the proposed new terminal at Ruby's. Hmmm, wonder what changed ? New Water Taxi Terminal On San Pedro Underused; Town Council Will Not Sanction Proposed Project By San Pedro Belize Express Water Taxihttps://lovefm.com/new-water-taxi-t...ect-san-pedro-belize-express-water-taxi/