AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Fidos Parasailing Wanted! Fun Visitors!! - 10/18/01 07:13 PM
Hello all! Tony from Fido's Fun Sports here. Yes, the benifit at Fido's Courtyard for Placencia was a great time for all. The locals and visitors all rose to the occasion. I can't wait to jam with all the players again at the Christmas benifit for toys.

I've noticed a few water taxi questions lately. Maybe I can help on perspective. Yvonne and I live 6 miles north of town. It's cheaper for me to ride the Island Ferry to and from, than to run my 17ft boat at $6.17bz a gallon plus oil. The ferry cost me 20bz/10us each way. Ive never had a stateside cab cost less than 10 bucks for 6 miles. There are also group rates available from the Island Ferry Service. Travel is very easy and what a view of the reef.

As it gets colder and you are looking for relief, remember; we still speak english, your money is still 2 to 1, the sun is warm, the drinks are cold, the reef and diving are still incredible, and we all welcome you to Belize it and have FUN with us!!!!

Tony and Yvonne

PS We still have one apt available downstairs!
Posted By: KC Re: Wanted! Fun Visitors!! - 10/18/01 07:50 PM
Thanks for that perspective, Tony (or Yvonne). I would jump at the chance to pay $10.00 for a boat ride to town. But when there are 3-4 of you in the family, that means $60.00 - $80.00 to get to town and back, and that is if you can get the Island Ferry to stop at your pier. When I call a private water taxi, it is more. I routinely paid $30.00US for just myself, one way. When there were three of us to pick up, they charged the same per person, even though it is one trip. Also, the price seemed to be "fluid" -- one time this, one time that.

But, like I said, if I could get a $10.00 boat ride to town, that'd be great! I do think that they should give some consideration when 2 or more people are being picked up and delivered to the same spots.

I think that it does take some time to figure the ins and outs of the water taxis, and next time I'm definitely checking into the Island Ferry, as I thought they were more than $10.00 a trip.

Again, thanks for the discussion.

kathy
Posted By: Mike and Daphne Ryan Re: Wanted! Fun Visitors!! - 10/19/01 06:49 PM
In our four and a half weeks on AC, Daphne and I found the ferry very usable, and with only two of us, in vacation mentality, the price was fine. But I can understand the issue for a family of four or five looking to find a cheaper alternative, or a large group wanting a one-time trip. It would seem that a water taxi ought to be able to cut a deal that gave a lower per person rate for larger groups.

Is there a code of practice among the water taxi people, or is it purely open competition? Are there regulations (in pricing, in demonstrable competence)? When we come to be there for longer periods, I might consider part time work doing water taxi for special groups, provided that (a) I obtained sufficient local knowledge to do it competently and (b) I wasn't going to get my boat holed for breaking ranks with other water taxi people for using a different pricing model.

Exactly what is the business arrangement there? Anybody know?

Mike Ryan
Posted By: 4ShotsFromSober Re: Wanted! Fun Visitors!! - 10/19/01 08:32 PM
Tony and Yvonne

Re: PS We still have one apt available downstairs! and Wanted! Fun Visitors!

Im looking to come back to AC have a couple of cokes and diner at FIDO's again, and get an apt.Can you give me an email with the info
and what you want.

Thanks
Robert
[email protected]
Posted By: Barefoot Skinny Re: Wanted! Fun Visitors!! - 10/24/01 09:13 AM
Hey Mike, The water taxi's are already not to happy about the Island Ferry being in business. I'm sure the competition wouldn't care to hear about you adding more competition. No offense. Not to mention you would have to have certain papers in order. ie. Trade license and possibly a tour guide license.
Posted By: Bad Dog Re: Wanted! Fun Visitors!! - 10/24/01 03:02 PM
Tony,

We will be down over Christmas and would like to bring a box of toys for the children. Please email information about the benefit to [email protected]
Thanks!
Shawn
Posted By: Fidos Parasailing Re: Wanted! Fun Visitors!! - 10/27/01 12:11 AM
Donations can be mailed to:

Fido's Courtyard
Benefit Fund
18 Barrier Reef Drive
San Pedro, AC
Belize, CA

Thanks to all who donate!!

Tony
Posted By: rickcheri Re: Wanted! Fun Visitors!! - 10/27/01 09:29 AM
Hey Tony-

Do you think you can donate a trip for 2 for our Benefit at the Hideaway?? If you have any question go buy and see Joyce or we'll be there on the 30th staying at the Holiday... Thanks, Rick
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board