AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: ScubaLdy BANK RIP OFF who the F did this & when? - 02/05/20 09:46 PM
I WAS OUT OF THE COUNTRY for several months and could not access my HERITAGE BANK account.
Today it took me over an HOUR TO get CLEARANCE to log into my account.
I WAS SHOCKED THAT I AM over $200 OVERDRAWN!
WTF happened
The poor woman on the phone got my rath. She insisted that the CENTRAL BANK put in $3.50 charge every time I wrote a check.
WHAT MORE CAN THIS GOVERNMENT DO TO KILL this country?????????

All the time I was gone I checked on Ambergriscaye.com almost daily. I never saw anything about this. Who can enlightened me? This account will be closed and they can eat their $238.00 charges. Help me out here.
I tried access my bank in the states & after many phone calls the IT guys told me that Belize is on a high risk list & they blocked Belize????? If I knew who dreamed up this list I would get a copy & stuff it where it belongs.
Posted By: dabunk Re: BANK RIP OFF who the F did this & when? - 02/05/20 10:40 PM
Almost every bank in the US anymore requires you to go in and personally show them you are going to Belize and for how long. Otherwise you will not be able to access your funds.
I can access my Atlantic Bank account from the U.S. with no problem. Sorry you are having issues.
I did inform the bank of my travels to Belize apparently my bank does not give a S....t
I thought Harriette's issue was accessing her Belize bank while traveling, not accessing her U.S. bank while in Belize??
I have never had any issues accessing my Belize bank accounts from outside the country. I have only been blocked when I myself forgot my password and created the problem - I went in to the bank to re-set everything and my own bad memory about a special code word I'd picked but never used, caused the reset to be a bit slow. Now I can do it online very easily. Being out of the country should not be an issue.

As for US banks and US credit cards (and debit cards) while in Belize - their terms vary. I have one that is easy no matter what (AmEx - I usually tell them when I'm traveling) and another that is very easy/automatic in a face to face transaction - using it online from out of the US requires a complicated verification process.

Checks deposited from one local bank to another used to take up to 5 days to clear. Central Bank introduced a system for immediate clearance (same day I think) and there is a charge for that. The policy was quite widely publicized at the time - notices from banks, as well as in the local news. This policy has really streamlined doing business locally.

I've also been told that some US banks will not allow use of debit cards (outside the country) for withdrawing $, but will allow cash advances on credit cards - probably because the credit cards are a third-party service with more safeguards.

Oh Dear Harriette.... These new banking fees are extreme... With our business accounts we write checks or pay online bills at over 150 transactions a month... Each transaction is either $3 or $3.50 each..... The Central bank fee is less than a dollar... All the banks are charging well over the fee.....

As I reconciled my accounts this week, I wondered if it use to be this way in the States?..... If so, when did the banks learn more depositors are better? Hopefully our developing Country will improve the banking system over the next few years.....

I remember the days when Bank of America would give you a toaster if you opened an account....?? And now in the US you can open an account with very little effort or ID.....

One of the prices we pay for living a more simple life..... Some things are not so simple wink
I locked myself out of my heritage bank somehow - and need to find time to get back into the account. One of the shockers is when Heritage tries to charge me $150 FATCA fee each year - and I am a Belizean and they have a copy of my passport on file!
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: BANK RIP OFF who the F did this & when? - 02/06/20 05:22 PM
Thanks for all the responses.
CLARIFICATIOIN: I did not have a problem with my US account.
In Belize or not I am always getting locked out of my HERITAGE San Pedro account.
My rant yesterday was about being charged for EVERY CHECK I WRITE.
The Heritage clerk told me they want everyone to pay on-line. I do - but don't take the computer to the grocery store. She said "Just use your credit card."
OH YEA? Then the money leaves Belize!!!!
I'm still (hopefully not for long) on QRP. Their statement that you have to show and income of $2,000.00 US per month is misleading. I have to give them all 12 months of statements showing that I SPENT $2,000.00 USD IN BELIZE.
My question was/is; anyone else being charged for writing checks?
Yes. all the banks have a per cheque fee.
Wow! I didn't know that. We just got an account at Atlantic bank and have been writing checks because it is easier to document. Guess I will go back to cash and keeping receipts. # bucks a check...its a great racket if you can get away with it and apparently they all can.
I just got off chat with Atlantic Bank. I was told ( for them ) if someone deposits the check in another bank there is a $2.75. So, I am supposing that if they deposit it in Atlantic there is no charge.
Originally Posted by Ecotrekker56
I just got off chat with Atlantic Bank. I was told ( for them ) if someone deposits the check in another bank there is a $2.75. So, I am supposing that if they deposit it in Atlantic there is no charge.

This is the system I referenced in my first post to this thread - it's to clear the "different-bank" check same day instead of it taking a week.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board