AmbergrisCaye.com Home
[Linked Image]Five Mexican nationals are currently being held at a quarantine facility in Corozal Town after they were detained under suspicious circumstances on Sunday by elements of the Belize Coast Guard. The men were spotted just after 7:30 a.m. drifting west of San Pedro Ambergris Caye, inside an area known as Nueland Area. Upon seeing the Coast Guard patrol the captain of the skiff attempted to outrun the patrol but was unsuccessful. When questioned the men claimed that they were coming from Mahahual, Quintana Roo, and were heading to Chetumal but had gotten disoriented along the way due to bad weather. The men could not present any identification card for themselves and no official documentation for the vessel, they were additionally found with several empty fuel gallons. They were detained for illegal entry into Belize and taken to the mainland where they were handed over to the police pending further investigation. A media outlet from Chetumal claimed that the five men are fishermen and were reported missing on Saturday near the coast of southern Quintana Roo.

The Reporter

Five Mexicans Caught

Five Mexican fishermen are detained at a quarantine Centre in Corozal after the Coast Guard caught them doing illegal fishing in Belize's waters yesterday. The men who are from the southern coast of Quintana Roo had been reported missing since Saturday - but they weren't missing at all, they had entered Belize illegally and were in good health detained by the Coast Guard. Mexican media reports say they were caught with an unregistered boat and with several empty gasoline drums. The Belize Coast Guard would only confirmed their capture, and added that they will be quarantined for 14 days. Now, the case bears watching because you may recall that last month, 3 fishermen from Xcalak were detained for illegal fishing in the Bacalar Chico reserve, but they easily escaped from the same ITVET quarantine area in Corozal.

Channel 7

Five Mexican Detained for Illegally Entering Belize

An additional forty-five samples were processed today for the corona virus and the Ministry of Health is reporting that all were negative. Belize has now entered its eight week since the last confirmed case but the safety of Belizeans is at risk by persons who enter Belize illegally. Over the weekend, five Mexican fishermen were arrested by Belizean authorities for being in Belize illegally. The vessel the men were in was not registered and they were found with empty fuel drums. These men, according to Director of Health Services Doctor Marvin Manzanero, will be placed on mandatory quarantine for fourteen days before being handed to police.

Dr. Marvin Manzanero, Director of Health Services

"In the review we did yesterday of quarantine facilities we are noting that we are not having persons being cuaqght illegal in Belize, not only Mexicans and Guatemalans. I think there is are Nicaraguans and Hondurans now on that list. What routinely happens depending on why or who found them, they will brought to the quarantine facility. The Ministry of Health is not going to routinely be involved in the legal status of these individuals. We would just screen then for health purposes, keep them under quarantine for the fourteen days and swab them at day fourteen and they will be released to go back and face whatever legal situation they may have. For example in down west, we had people who have completed the fourteen days and so they were released and I believe that the police takes the necessary action that is needed."

Hipolito Novelo

"But I am saying that they might consider taking the risk to cross the border illegally to get away from the increasing number of COVID-19 cases in Guatemala and Mexico."

Dr. Marvin Manzanero

"I would hope not. I don't think that is the case. I don't think that should be a reason. I don't see it happening."

Channel 5

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board