AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: jake5492 lots of dumb questions - 11/21/01 02:29 PM
Our first trip is scheduled for Feb.We are a fam of 4 (kids 11 and 15)This will be our first big adventure (usually just sit on a beach!)We would like to try cave tubing.Do we need hiking boots? Do things nibble on your ass in the water??? should we bring water shoes? Is it scarey in these caves ( can you see or is it pitch dark??? I know these sound dumb to you sesoned adventurers ! This will be truley living out of the box for us. ANY tips or info is greatly appreciated!!! We are staying at Banana Beach.Is cave tubing a day trip or is it too far to do it in a day???
Thank you all so much!!!
Posted By: tincup Re: lots of dumb questions - 11/21/01 04:18 PM
Just got back from cave tubing at Jaguar Paw where we stayed 2 nights. Staying over will allow you more flexibility in the cave trips. A day trip will limit your time and it is such a cool place we felt we could have easily stayed a few more days.
You will need shoes that can take you through jungle paths for about a one hour hike, then get completely wet while tubing. We got some shoes by Columbia called "river trainers" that were great. They are a kind of a light weight hiking boot that is made to wear wet. Got them at Boat US. Otherwise you could wear aqua shoes (the guides do) but you may find hiking in them difficult.
An old pair of sneakers might work, but the inside of the caves are very slippery in spots, and YES it is dark. Headlamps are provided so you will not be without light, but when you shut them off you will be in total darkness.
I can't think of a more fun thing for you and your kids to do, and it will give you a chance to see some of the mainland which should not be missed if this is your first trip.
Posted By: jkdiver Re: lots of dumb questions - 11/21/01 06:03 PM
I also did the cave tubing while staying on AC. We did the day trip. We flew to Municipal airport and our guide met us there. We are divers, so we wore our booties for the hike and river trip. It was everything Tincup said. I thought it was the mose amazing thing I have done. It is also something I usually would not do. I normally only go diving on my trips, but the weather had gotten bad. So I needed something to do one day. When you come out of the caves, it is truly amazing. To be on the river in the middle of the rainforest. Then is started pouring rain. AWESOME! Something I will never forget.

We also had some time before coming back to the island to stop at the Belize Zoo. I did not have enough time there, but is is very nice. We left the island at 8:00 am and got back around 6:00pm.

JK
Posted By: forick Re: lots of dumb questions - 11/21/01 07:35 PM
Jake,
Don't limit yourself to a tube trip. Remember half the fun of an adventure is not knowing what comes next. When we went there last lesr we enjoyed a snorkling trip to a cove/park that was great for all ages, nearby ruins are fun also. I enjoyed a moonlight sail up to a 4 star rest., the locals are very helpful in finding things to do. Remember a vacation is for the adults to you can't entertain them all day and night.

forick
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board