AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location?

Posted By: Jackson&Shauna

Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/26/01 08:05 AM

Hi! We are getting married on the island in March, and have never been there. Just wondering if anybody had any neat ideas about where we could have our ceremony, and who we should talk to. We have a party of almost 20 people arriving beginning of March from Alberta, Canada, so it would be nice to have some idea what we're doing. Any past experiences from any readers would really help. Thanks!!!
Posted By: Nicki

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/26/01 03:40 PM

Congratulations! I got married in AC back in May. First thing, call Iraida at Belize weddings. Her website is www.belizeweddings.com. She is absolutely amazing. She will handle everything for you. You need her especially to do the paperwork. Do not even attempt to do this on your own. You can do a search and enter my user name, Nicki, or various other user names such as Turnbun, BillandJeanne, ybon. All of us have recently been married on AC and would love to provide you with any help that you need.

My husband and I got married at Victoria House and absolutely loved it! It is so beautiful there. We had the reception right by the pool and I can honestly say that was the best meal we had while we were there. Here are a few of our wedding pictures if you want to take a look. http://communities.msn.com/NickiandRod/wedding.msnw
I'm sure some of the other girls I mentioned above will be posting replies very soon. All of us got married in different places, so we will be able to provide you with a variety of choices. I watch the board pretty closely, so let me know if you have any other questions.
Posted By: Turnbun

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/26/01 07:24 PM

We got married Sept. 2 at Sundiver Beach Resort. sundiverbeachresort.com The owners are Canadian. I loved the place. We got married there, and had our reception there as well. We started at the bar and moved on to the restaurant. We were the only people staying at the place, so that was wonderful! They do a ton of weddings there. The staff is awesome - Hugo, Mike, etc. Tazmara arranged all of our activities with Hustler, which was great. My family didn't like the fact that we had to take a boat to town all the time, but I liked it. They pretty much took us whenever we wanted.
Definitely use Iraida. She's great and makes things so stress-free!!! I posted a report on my wedding - you may want to look it up. There are some tips for brides in it. You'll have a wonderful time!
Here are some pictures from my wedding and of the SunDiver:
http://community.webshots.com/user/turnbun

I, too, am addicted to this board so feel free to post any questions. One tip - take your own champagne. We just gave a bottle to each guest to carry on.

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/27/01 02:09 AM

Thanks Turnbun & Nicki! I was actually already corresponding with Iraida, but needed the opinion of a few others (you know how nervewracking it is to try to plan a wedding that is taking place so far away!). She seems really friendly and confident in what she does, and you both sound like she did a great job, so I think we will stick with her and trust that things will go well. We really want to do the barefoot in the sand thing (except now I've seen all that frack about the hookworms or whatever they're called...but don't think I'm going to get too worried about it). Iraida said she'd take us to a few locations to see if they'll be what we want when we get there. Just wondering about paperwork too...do we just bring it all with us and then she gets it done? We are arriving March 2, and getting married on the 7th (can't wait...I love this man soooo much!!!) Most of our guests are leaving the 9th, and then I think we're going to go over to the mainland for another week afterwards. Did either of you go over there afterwards? Just wondering where to stay...we were thinking the Green Parrot, but guess we'll decide when we get over there because I don't know how much damage was done or how quickly things will be repaired in Placencia. I'll keep in touch with you two and let you know how things are going, and again, thanks so much for the replies (and the tip about the champagne!). Should get your email addresses, but it sounds like you keep an eye on this message board anyways. Talk to you later! Shauna

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/27/01 02:14 AM

Hey...also, thanks for sending some of your pictures. They're beautiful! Kind of neat to see who I'm talking to as well. I'll have to learn how to send ours afterwards, too.
Posted By: bromista

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/27/01 02:57 PM

Hello,

One idea for you to consider is contacting the hotel your decide to stay at and see what they do for weddings. My fiance and I plan to be married 4/18/02 in San Pedro. At first I was corresponding with Iradia, but it turned out to be much cheaper to work with the hotel we are staying at. They are also handling all the paperwork, flowers, beach BBQ after the ceremony, arranging for the minister, etc. We also got a great deal on the rooms for our guests.

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/27/01 03:19 PM

Don't worry about the little parasites. My brother-in-law and I did not wear shoes the entire time we were there. Well, actually I wore flip-flops to the wedding, but I went barefoot everywhere else without any problems. I think it's pretty rare to get any little buggies on you. Turnburn has a really good point about the champagne. It is very expensive and hard to get on the island. As for the paperwork, you give all of your stuff to Iraida as soon as you get off the plane and she takes care of everything else. I didn't have any problems once I got back to the states changing my name with my Belize license. Let us know if you have any other questions. You can also email me at [email protected]
Posted By: Turnbun

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/27/01 11:10 PM

We went to the mainland after the wedding - the Cayo district. We stayed in San Ignacio for the most part and took day trips from there with various tour groups. DON'T use Mike's, though, if you go. The guide we had was aweful! We spend one night at Three Sisters in the Mountain Pine Ridge, which was absolutely beautiful! Service was good, too. Since it was the low season, we were the only people at the whole resort, so we had our own personal chef and bartender. Not too shabby!
As far as paperwork, no sweat! Just take everything you need, and it will be done for you. I was really stressed about everything for a while, but then just realized all that mattered was that we are married by the end of the trip. Everything went better than I ever dreamed, and I'm sure it will for you, too. I keep having dreams about Belize (seriously - at least once a week), and I can't wait to get back there!!! Hopefully in the summer or for our anniversary.
You can also e-mail me at [email protected]

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/28/01 04:43 AM

Thanks ladies for all of your help, once again. Now I am really getting excited about our trip. Maybe someday we'll all be able to meet up in Belize for our anniversaries if we keep corresponding in the future. Now that I've got some email addresses, we can talk that way instead. I'll write soon, am on shift work (nights) right now, so it will be in a couple of days before I get to the computer.

Bromista, just wondering what place you stayed at? I've checked with a few resorts, and they were pricier than Iraida (Ramon's, Sunbreeze, can't remember the other one), but if you can let me know where you stayed, I'll check it out too. We have parents staying at Ramon's for 2 weeks, and the resort won't let us have the ceremony there because we aren't staying there, but the mom-in-law is going to try to talk them into it. Sunbreeze has our grandparents, and they said we could have it there, but the wedding package was pricier, I thought. We're staying at the Seven Seas with a bunch of the younger ones that like to party (and my Mom and Aunt, I feel sorry for them being stuck with us!...)because the price was right, and Sherrie that works there seems pretty helpful. We plan on staying at a more expensive place for our second week, but have to save $ because we are having a big party and dance back home when we return.

Sounds like there will be lots to do on the mainland, too. Thanks! Talk to you soon.

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/28/01 02:15 PM

Actually have not had the ceremony yet. We are getting married in April of 2002 and are staying at the Blue Tang Inn. Please feel free to e-mail me - [email protected]

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/28/01 05:01 PM

I would not advise having the wedding at Ramon's. I considered this before we went down and Iraida didn't think it was a good idea. It is a very busy area so it wouldn't be very private. We got married at Victoria House and loved it. We were actually staying at Banana Beach, but Iraida arranged for us to be married at Victoria House. We stayed in one of their casitas for our wedding night. A little pricey, but it was so romantic and it was only for one night.
Posted By: BillandJeanne

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/29/01 04:27 AM

Hey, I just saw your post, congratulations!
We stayed at and got married on Cayo Espanto. It was beautiful and perfect. We didn't bring anyone so it was just the two of us, one of the employees gave me away.

Iraida is great. And I don't know how much cheaper you can get, to be honest. Take the fact that it is $500 for licensing & minister, pix for about $200, flowers about $75.

Not many brides get married for under $1,000.

Iraida takes care of it all. I didn't make any decisions, I decided to relax (the main ingredient for a perfect AC wedding) and let Iraida take care of it. It was better than I could have imagined it.
I was led through palm trees to my husband, the breeze was blowing my veil around, we could hear the water lapping at our feet. The flowers were gorgeous! It was great.
Have fun!

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/29/01 02:10 PM

Actually the woman arranging my wedding is cheaper than Iradia. The prices I was quoted are as follows:

Minister: $100.00
License: $100.00
Consultancy & Decoration: $100.00
Beach BBQ: $25.00 per person
Tables, chairs, tablecovers: $50.00
Music: $175.00

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/30/01 01:26 AM

Thanks, BillandJeanne. Congrats to you, too. That sounds like the type of ceremony that we want.

I'm going to email you, Bromista. Those prices look great, and the beach barbeque is a good idea, too. I've emailed the Blue Tang for some info. Are you as excited as we are? What made you choose Belize?

Hi, Nicki. Iraida did send me some info on the Victoria House, but when I asked if there was anywhere that we could spend our wedding night, I'm sure that she told me that the resorts didn't book one night only (maybe that was just Ramon's, I'll talk to her again about it if we decide to go with her). We want to spend it somewhere other than where we have booked for the week, but I got the impression that most places don't do less than 3 night bookings, so we thought we'd try to find a nice cabana or something for our wedding night when we get there if there's something available. Anyhow, thanks for letting me know that it can be done (so there is still hope).
Posted By: seashell

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 11/30/01 05:31 AM

If you are going to book the Blue Tang, you need to get the third floor front room on the south side. Trust me.
Posted By: BelizeWed

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 12/03/01 10:43 PM

We just got married on Nov. 14th in Belize and had an AMAZING time. I'm planning on posting a trip report soon (just got back to my computer today and am still on Island time!). But I would HIGHLY recommend SUNDIVER BEACH RESORT. They were amazing and the wedding was everything I dreamed of.

Their website, http://www.sundiverbeachresort.com, has some packages that look pretty great. These were posted after our plans were made but Tazmara and Kathryn put together a great package for all of us. DEFINITELY check them out. The resort is out of town but they take the boat in 3 times a day for free which makes it easy to go back and forth.

I'm not sure what kind of wedding you are looking for but if you want it away from town (I saw the Blue Tang when I was there and it is right in town and doesn't have much of a beach in front - just a warning) and a nice beach, excellent service and beautiful accomodations - try out Sundiver. (I kinda sound like one of those "TV Infomercials" here!!!)... Trust me - you'll love it!...

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 12/03/01 10:52 PM

I just checked the site... there are a few pictures of our wedding on there... check it out on:
http://www.sundiverbeachresort.com/plan.html

We are beside the WEDDING Package One ...

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 12/04/01 01:46 AM

Thanks, BelizeWedding. Congratulations! SunDiver looks like a really nice place, too, and maybe we'll decide on one of the 5 night packages. Your pics turned out great, too. Looks windy on the island, is it?

My fiance works overseas, so when he gets back in a week or so, we'll have alot to look at now that I have so many more ideas to think about.

Thanks to all!

Re: Wedding in March 2002...any suggestions on location? - 12/04/01 11:23 PM

It wasn't windy at all...There are only 2 pictures of our wedding on there (the 2 of us and then my wedding party). The picture below isn't of our wedding. I can see what you mean - it does look windy for that wedding. We had REALLY great weather the whole time we were there (3 weeks) and the wedding day turned out to be the best weather yet (Lucky - I know!!!). However, the last few days was pretty windy. Someone told me that a few days before the full moon it gets windy there and that's when we noticed it was windy - Don't know if its true but you might want to plan around the moon!!! (I'm no expert though!)...
We had a little bit of wind (barely noticable) but enough to keep the sandflies away!!!

Good Luck!!!
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board