AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: andrea location/Hotel choice - 01/04/02 05:56 PM
This is our first visit to Ambergris. We are a 36/40 year old couple of subdued party animal/divers with a 3 week old baby and also 21 and 17 year old kids. Used to funky places but this time we would like something comfortable. We are trying to figure out where to stay. What is the beach like at blue tang? Hotel rio? or would we be better off south of town-Looking at Mata rocks, coral bay villas, banana beach? Can you swim right by blue tang or is that right in town with boat traffic? advice please? thank you
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: location/Hotel choice - 01/04/02 07:09 PM
With four people and a baby, I'd look at one of the places with two bedrooms. Villas at Banyan Bay is terrific for families -- large (1,000 square feet or so) two-bedroom, two-bath condos with full kitchen and a whirlpool in the master bedroom. Really nicely furnished. Huge pool and a good beach.

Sunset Beach and The Palms are among the other condotels with two-bedroom units.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: jkdiver Re: location/Hotel choice - 01/04/02 07:18 PM
I stayed at The Palms. The room we had was 2 bedroom: Master bedroom & a smaller one with 2 twin beds. It was GREAT!!

The Palms are condos so they also include a fully furnished Kitchen.

JoAnn

[This message has been edited by jkdiver (edited 01-04-2002).]
Posted By: ohiolazo Re: location/Hotel choice - 01/04/02 07:48 PM
I would also suggest you get a place with a kitchen for that crowd! We just returned from S.P. (Paradise Villas) and found that the restaurant food prices have really gone up. For the five of us it averaged $150 US for each meal in restaurants - and that wasn't for steak or lobster! Have a great time!
Posted By: twospotdog Re: location/Hotel choice - 01/05/02 01:11 AM
Hi,

We stayed at The Blue Tang Inn in November and loved it. It's a bit more than we are accustomed to spending, but the room was large, very clean and comfortable, with an extremely well appointed, and modern, kitchen (once we figured out how to light the stove - dumb Canadians). There's a great grocery half a block away... you'll find everything handy.

I don't know if your kids are planning on staying with you or not. If so you'd probably need two rooms. But they'd find it a nice compromise - close enough to downtown to a part of the 'night life', yet you guys wouldn't find it loud or busy. Some places out of town are just a bit too far... forgetting your sunglasses requires a cab or a 30 minute walk = tedious. And too (shhh....) quiet. Almost spooky!

As for the beach - well, pretty good. It ain't Bali, but clean and you don't have to worry about getting mown down if you remain relatively close to shore. We swam there and it gets a bit silty, but this is Belize.

Can't say too many good things about the staff. They think of everything to make your stay completely enjoyable. It's refreshing to find not just good service, but sincere good service. You'll love 'em.

Hope you have a good trip.

Rick and Mary
Posted By: IN Farmer Re: location/Hotel choice - 01/06/02 11:38 PM
We stayed at Palms week of Thanksgiving with our 2 teenage kids & loved it. Location is close enough to town to walk. Also grocery/distillery convenient
Posted By: KC Re: location/Hotel choice - 01/07/02 03:07 AM
Spooky??? I guess it depends on what you want in a vacation, but I have never found the serenity and peace of staying out of town to be spooky. It was... well... serene and peaceful! My kind of place, and what I fell in love with in Belize. To each his own!

Kathy
Posted By: twospotdog Re: location/Hotel choice - 01/08/02 02:24 AM
Sorry Kathy,

Maybe "spooky" was unfair. We only walked through one afternon in November. Not indicative of the whole experience I'm sure. And it was beautiful.

Peace and serenity are things we also treasure... maybe we should be less quick to judge.

Thanks,

Rick and Mary

[This message has been edited by twospotdog (edited 01-07-2002).]
Posted By: seashell Re: location/Hotel choice - 01/14/02 12:53 AM
The Blue Tang has one or two rooms that have two queen or double beds and a full-size pullout. They are quite large rooms with large kitchen eating areas and a sitting area. So that would probably be just fine for you, if you are willing to stay all in the same room.

The Mayan Princess has a couple of end unit rooms that have an extra separate bedroom. I've only seen unit 15. It was laid out pretty much like all of the other units but also had a tiny bedroom with a dresser and bunkbeds. Then there is a queen in the main sleeping area and on the other side of the galley kitchen, there is a full-size pull out in the sitting area.

I would definitely not recommend the Hotel del Rio to anyone under any circumstances!
Posted By: doctor feel good Re: location/Hotel choice - 01/17/02 12:06 AM
we just got back from a week at banyan bay. the location, rooms, beach were all fantastic. two couples stayed in one unit, and we had tons of private and communal room. the beach seems to be one of the best in that area. great pool and staff, too. i would suggest a golf cart, even though some say you can walk to town, we found it much easier, although costlier, to drive.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board