AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: skigreenmn The PlayaBlanca - 01/19/02 04:02 AM
Has anyone stayed at the Playa Blanca, and if so please review. Service, location, value, etc. It would be much appreciated!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: The PlayaBlanca - 01/19/02 04:15 AM
I have stayed there, but I have visited it and seen all the units. My take is that Gaz Cooper is doing a nice job with this little place. I don't quite understand the "penthouse" which is huge and very expensive but the regular units seem comfy.

It is way north and while you can hike to a couple of restaurants you really are off by yourself here. Guess Gaz provides some shuttle service but it's not like being within a walk or golf cart trip of town. The setting is beautiful.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: skigreenmn Re: The PlayaBlanca - 01/19/02 04:40 AM
Well thank you for the review/
Gaz, I'm sure we'll be chattting soon.
Has anyone from this board invested in the new Playa Blanca venture?
Posted By: Bad Dog Re: The PlayaBlanca - 01/19/02 06:38 PM
Pete,

Please email me at [email protected]
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: The PlayaBlanca - 01/19/02 08:08 PM
I meant to write, >>I have not stayed there, but I have seen ...<<

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Gaz Cooper Re: The PlayaBlanca - 01/21/02 07:02 PM
Hi

I have to reply to Lans reply and Lan and i will have to agree to disagree on a few points, Lan favors town and you could not pay me to move back into town after being up North and experiencing the best of both worlds.

Lan says
It is way north

We are approx 5.4 miles north of town and approx 10 minutes boatride into town.

I make it VERY EASY for my guests to get into town when they want to and I know Lan is not HOT on Resorts north of town due to the accessability problem that guests staying at other resorts encounter, my guests do not encounter these same problems and I do my best to ensure that transport is available should my guests want to get into town.

I do not consider a 10 minute boatride into town to be a negative I consider it to have the best of both worlds.

1.) A beautiful area full of wildlife including a family of Ospreys that nests at the resr of the resort and that fish in front of the Resort daily, a Kingfisher who visits regulalry who fishes from the shower head on our dock to name a few.

2.) a short 10 minute boatride into town when you wish to go.

Lan says,

and while you can hike to a couple of restaurants you really are off by yourself here. Guess Gaz provides some shuttle service but it's not like being within a walk or golf cart trip of town.

I think that depends on what a person is looking for in a vacation Lan, you seem to think everyone wants to be in town, I can tell you I have not had one complaint from my guests with regards to not being in town, in fact I was so paranoid when I first opened that guests would want to go into town every single day i laid on a my own personal shuttle and still do, but you know what ?, after they have visited town for shopping the attraction of town seems to fade fast for my guests and on average my guests visit town about 2-3 times for the week EVEN THOUGH they have access to a shuttle anytime they wish, they prefer the peace and beauty of up North.

Of course up North is not for everyone but then again town is not for everyone either, Lan you need to understand this when answering peoples questions.

Be impartial and point out the positives and negatives of both instead of pushing people with your comments to stay in town because thats your preference, it may not be theirs.

There are many positives and negatives on staying in town and there are positives and negatives for staying North but if people are given accurate information then they be able to make the correct decision in there choice of destination.

When I moved up north 8 years ago when i purchased a home in this same area I would of agreed with Lan that it was remote but with progress and expansion, we are far from being remote but i guess that the perspective of someone who lives here fulltime.

Lan says

The setting is beautiful

Well I agree with Lan on this one :-)

On a closing note

If your looking for wild parties lots of Bars, restaurants lots of people,Golf carts, cars, etc then choose to stay in town

If you want to replace all the above with peace quiet and wildlife then choose up north, because you can still visit the Bars restaurants, Golf carts and cars whenever you wish in just 10 minutes.

As i said the best of both worlds :-)

All the best

Gaz Cooper
Playa Blanca Dive & Beach Club www.playablancabelize.com
Posted By: makedesigns Re: The PlayaBlanca - 01/21/02 07:50 PM
Gaz,

Just an outsiders opinion, and one who reads the message board diligently to pick up any tips that may apply to me... I know what I want in a vacation, and it's certainly not IN TOWN. Not that I don't want to go check it out a few times and all that there is to offer.... which is why I chose AC over any other spot in Belize for our week vacation.

I guess what I'm saying is that most people look for responses from others that want the same out of a vacation, so while I read all, the ones that count are the opinions like mine. The people that go on vacation for a little R&R mixed with fun outtings & a few trips to town are looking for those places OUT OF TOWN, with a little peace and quiet.

Like I said before, that's just my opinion on it all -- to each his own piece of paradise!

Can't wait to travel to Belize, and I will be staying on the North end of the island.

Cheers!!!!
Posted By: munichchick Re: The PlayaBlanca - 01/22/02 02:50 AM
We also prefer to stay out of town!!! The first time we went to AC we stayed at Captain Morgan's and loved being north but still went into town a couple times. On our last trip in June we didn't have a choice since the Basil Jones Resort put us up at Royal Palms condo south of town. Okay south of town was better than being right in town but we still missed the beauty and peace from up North. We where wishing we could stay up north. We had the pleasure of meeting Gaz and got to see his very nice condos before the resort was open and we would take that location over the dusty, noisy town any time especially with his frequent boat service. We actually loved having to ride a boat to town and back because you get to see the coastline. Not that town is bad but we live in a crowded area and when we go on vacation we prefer nature over town. It is great to have both and just hop on a boat and go to town when you feel like it. But maybe some of the people that prefer town over up north live in more secluded areas and prefer a little more action and having more people around. We sure don't!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board