AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Hello friends,
We are travelling to Belize in May for the first time, and we are beyond excited! We are running into a snag and would like advice.
I am prescribed two medications that are considered controlled substances here in the US. I see my psychiatrist once monthly, and he writes a new rx each time. We are going to be in Belize during the time I run out of my month's supply and would normally see my doctor again, but, he can't write two scripts for one month (can't refill ahead of time in US), and he said, "I am sure you can get these both OTC in Belize". As he is a doctor, I think he would know, but I don't want to take the chance if I can't get my meds OTC. So I'm asking ahead of time for the rules of the pharmacies in Belize, if they sell Klonopin and/or Tramadol OTC; I need to know before we leave, because if I can't get my medication there, I will have to pare down my current monthly supply and spread it out to last us through our trip until we return to the US and I can refill here; I need it daily and does cause withdrawal without it, so I do not want to take any chances. Also wondering about the safety of buying pharmaceuticals in Belize, as they are not FDA regulated. Thank you kindly in advance for your advice.
Not OTC but my Dr in the states gave me a written script saying "Fill as needed" and pharmacies in Belize will accept it.
Having found myself in a similar situation, I called two pharmacies in San Pedro to get it straight from the Horse's Mouth. Yes, you can get tramadol (generic), but not trade Klonopin (trade). But the prescription must come from a local physician. Seeing a local physician most likely will cost you some money, likely about $40-50 USD. I asked if they would accept an prescription from a USA physician and the answer was no. Knowing these two drugs, many people cannot take the generic, and so I would suggest talking to your physician to see if you need to take Trade. Maybe someone with direct knowledge of the generic usage here in Belize will jump in and may also give you some more insight. Good luck. Hope you enjoy Belize.
I am not sure a local doctor is going to want to give you a prescription for regulated medications prescribed by your psychiatrist without being able to confer with your primary physician. Not you cannot buy a lot of drugs over the counter like you could 5 or 10 years ago. I know you can get tramadol as I had to take that for a while - but it needed a prescription. Can't your doctor give you enough for your additional days that you will be away - definitely doesn't sound prudent to ration your drugs. And of course we are not FDA regulated - but we do have our own regulatory boards.
Thank you for your reply! I just spoke with my doctor and he seemed rather convinced that an international pharmacy, no matter what country will never accept a foreign prescription. I don't know why he would tell me that, as it seems like that would not be true. I am wondering if for any reason we had lost luggage, stolen purse, whatever may happen and I lose my meds-- there must be a way to get them replaced without a new written prescription; I am wondering if the Belize pharmacies would honor a photocopy of my most recent prescription? Or see my name and the medication and dosing on my meds bottle? I am extremely nervous about travelling without having that backup. I know it is unlikely that anything will happen, but it is possible, and if you are on a medication you require daily, and especially one that would cause ill effects if you went a day without, I want to cover ALL my bases before boarding that plane! Any other advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated!!
thanks for your reply, yes I can take generics. My doctor says he can't prescribe extra because it is a controlled substance in the U.S. and the pharmacy won't fill more and/or early. It is SO frustrating!! I guess I will ask the resort if they recommend a doctor and just go if for whatever reason I need to refill while there to get a Belizean written script.
You should contact the clinic at Grand Carib. They are very helpful and have doctors on staff as well as a pharmacy.

https://www.grandcaribebelize.com/san-pedro-belize-medical-clinic/
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board