AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: vthokie Beaches suitable for wading and swimming - 06/07/21 03:55 AM
I am trying to figure out where the best place to stay is on Ambergris Caye during my vacation over Christmas. I want to be within walking distance of a beach that is suitable for wading and swimming (not just jumping off a dock, but actually wading/walking around in the water). I keep reading about the seagrass and about how some beaches are not suitable for wading/swimming. How can I figure out which beaches are/are not suitable? Is the seagrass as bad as people are saying? And is it a seasonal issue and if so, how bad is it at Christmas time?
Ramons has a nice walk-in beach. Also Caye Villas.
There is seagrass that grows in the shallows - if it's there, it's a year-round thing. There is seagrass that washes up on the shore - most resorts clean this off the beaches daily during tourist season. Then there is the sargassum arrival - it tends to be seasonal and usually is manageable when it washes up - except in heavy bloom years. We're having a big load of it arriving right now and it's stinky and icky and in some areas there is no way to keep up with cleaning it out. I don't recall ever seeing sargasum be an issue at Christmas.
Posted By: vthokie Re: Beaches suitable for wading and swimming - 06/08/21 03:17 AM
Thank you!!!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board