AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Fry69 I can't see the fishies! - 05/19/02 11:54 PM
I'm blind as a bat without my glasses. Coming in March of '03. Love,love,love to snorkel. In the past I have worn my glasses under a mask. Not the most comfortable, but it works. I've read about perscription masks and also some sort of sticker type lenses. Am I going to need to take care of this before I go, or will dive shops on AC have an answer to my problem?
Posted By: Johnboy Re: I can't see the fishies! - 05/20/02 12:33 AM
Fry69,
My son is an optician and made me a pair of prepscription lens that fit in my mask...Comfortable as can be!!!I don't think you will find that available in AC...
You'll have to use the spray just more often... Good Luck........John
Posted By: BEACH BOUND Re: I can't see the fishies! - 05/20/02 02:34 AM
I just ordered my husband a new snorkel mask that has RX lenses for his prescription in them. Go to SNORKELBOBS.COM THEY DO A GREAT JOB!!!! If you have a custom order it may take 3 weeks. Otherwise you will have your mask in a week. I would highly recommend this site.
Posted By: RobertE Re: I can't see the fishies! - 05/20/02 03:16 AM
Fry 69,

I work at a dive shop part time and had the same problem. I had an astigmatism and had to get custom lenses from a great dive mask company that a lot of scuba shops represent called Seavision www.seavisionusa.com.

My mask ran about $170.

A lot of scuba shops sell masks that have interchangeable lense in preground diopters if you don't have the stigmatism thing going on.

Some fairly common brands of masks that have this option is Tusa or Sherwood. www.tusa.com or sherwoodscuba.com. The lenses are about $60-$80 a set plus the cost of the mask $50-90 on average. If you are buying more gear such as fins, snorkel, shops will often give you a discount off the whole deal.

I would highly recommend finding something at home that way you can have the correct rx and a mask that has been properly fitted. Nothing worse than a leaky mask. Also, pick up a slap strap for your mask. Makes all the difference. Post back if you need more details.

If cost is a factor and you won't be using the mask much. I know that Blue Hole Dive Center on Front street in San Pedro rents masks with prescription lenses for $5 bucks a day. Laurie and Ken the owners will take good care of you. Their website is www.bluedive.com

Hope this helps.

Robert
Posted By: sweetjane Re: I can't see the fishies! - 05/20/02 03:17 PM
i saw too saw that blue hole rents Rx masks. even if your Rx is different in each eye, if you can't afford a custom, a rental would be better than plano (no Rx).

my husband always wore contacts to dive. his optometrist (my boss) would give him a few pairs of disposables to take with.

now he has had LASIK, and will dive naked-eyed for the first time ever!
Posted By: Fry69 Re: I can't see the fishies! - 05/20/02 03:57 PM
The info was varied, just what I needed thanks. Has anyone rented the masks from The Blue Hole Dive shop? They sound good but I'm wondering how they work.
Posted By: Kent@BlueHole Re: I can't see the fishies! - 05/20/02 04:30 PM
Blue Hole Dive Center does have prescription masks for rent, and we can switch diopters in both eyes from -2 to -8. Cost is $5US/day for the rental.

Please drop by when you arrive and we'd be happy to get you sorted out. We're located right in San Pedro, in the Spindrift Hotel on Barrier Reef Drive. We're open daily from 8 AM to 7 PM, except Sundays until 5 PM.

Please visit www.bluedive.com for complete details about all the services we offer.

[This message has been edited by Kent@BlueHole (edited 05-20-2002).]
Posted By: Temi Re: I can't see the fishies! - 05/20/02 08:54 PM
Just go to BLUE HOLE DIVE CENTER.
It is located on Barrier Reef Drive, infront of the Belize Bank. Everyone is friendly and are always happy to help. The price is cheap also. If you want to do some Diving check them out also.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board