AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: frozen north Calientes - 02/28/02 06:53 PM
I promised the guys at Calients ( who follow this message board) I would mention the dinners we had there...They are among the best in San Pedro.
The shrimp was the "best" and the Lime soup...wow
I will have to come back just for the great meals....Thanks
Posted By: Josh Re: Calientes - 02/28/02 09:22 PM
I second that...When i lived there this was my regular lunch place. Yes the soup is great! Josh
Posted By: makedesigns Re: Calientes - 02/28/02 10:14 PM
Where exactly is Caliente's, and what are their hours? We definitely want to catch them a couple of times while we're there.
Posted By: frozen north Re: Calientes - 02/28/02 10:33 PM
Calientes is in the Spindrift Hotel...
Right beside Pier Lounge.
It is a great place...open for a year...they celebrated their anniversary on Valentine's Day.
Try the Coconut curry shrimp...or any shrimp dish for that matter....wow!!!!!
They are open for lunch and then at 6:00 until 10:00 I think...someone can correct me if I am wrong.
Posted By: Chloe Re: Calientes - 03/01/02 01:12 AM
If you want their great soups, make sure you get there by 1:00PM or it will be sold out. Forget about trying to get the great soups with dinner, it is all sold out.
Make sure to get there for lunch to have the soups.......well worth your effort.
Posted By: thompson Re: Calientes - 03/01/02 02:01 AM
We Will be in SP for the first time in mid May and will give them a try. Sounds goooood !!!!
Posted By: beachluvr Re: Calientes - 03/02/02 02:58 AM
then let me add my praise as well...the best meal I had both times I went last year were at Caliente's...had the shrimp in ginger sauce, wrapped in bacon and melt in your mouth good...the next time I was really too late for lunch & too early for dinner, so their shrimp wasn't ready yet...I was so sad, but the guy said he'd fix something special for me...the cook fixed up something like tostadas w/lobster, conch & fish that was one of the best meals I've ever had anywhere!
Posted By: Laguna Punta Re: Calientes - 03/02/02 09:18 PM
Hi Friends: The highest accomodation I can give bout Caliente's is that I basically eat their at least once a day and.... I'm still alive!! Seriously, Caliente's is GREAT!!! I love the food, the people, everything. Its a home away from home. Just mention my name, and they will treat you badly like they have known ya for years (this is a joke for those in Arkansas). Take care: Bill
Posted By: brandilee3 Re: Calientes - 03/03/02 08:29 PM
ummm,ummm coconut shrimp. didn't try the soup but will next trip!
Posted By: SunChaser Re: Calientes - 03/13/02 04:01 PM
Caliente cooked the fish and lobster we caught while fishing....it was absolutely the best fish I have ever eaten....it was like a tempura with sesame seeds....I am drooling as I think about it... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lorikeet Re: Calientes - 03/17/02 07:09 AM
I was just there the first couple of days in March and tried Calientes and it was AWESOME! I had the margarita shrimp with a pina colada and dessert was good too just forgot what I had though. Our waiter was great, sorry forgot your name. I definitely have to say they are the best. I went to Fido's to here what all the rave was about and walked away disappointed with their food. I guess people go there for the music and entertainment. Another place I've heard great things about is Elvi's Kitchen didn't get a chance to try them wish I did.
Posted By: Mike and Daphne Ryan Re: Calientes - 03/17/02 10:47 PM
We, too, ate there a couple of times and found it very good. What an improvement over what was there before!

Haven't tried dinner there yet (what with Capricorn right next door to us and Rendezvous House leisurely walk up the beach), but next year we will definitiely go in town at night and try it out.

Wednesdays, if you lunch on the balcony, you can watch them lay out the "Chicken Drop" boards for the evening's fun.

Perhaps they shold lay on an Egg Drop Soup just for Wednesday lunch.

Sorry 'bout that

Mike Ryan (Daphne had nothing to do with this posting)

[This message has been edited by Mike and Daphne Ryan (edited 03-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Mike and Daphne Ryan (edited 03-17-2002).]
Posted By: Jackson&Shauna Re: Calientes - 03/18/02 06:53 PM
The chicken drop was really neat (unique?). We won a couple of times, the one time after waiting on one chicken...then another was put in...they just ended up throwing a cherry into the air and whatever square it landed on was the winner.

The food is very, very good too (shrimp.. yummmmm), and we ate there a couple of times. Nice atmosphere, too.

Elvi's was also one of our favourites, Jerk Pit, and Mangoes (great burgers, wings, and smoothies). Estelles for breakfast for sure, and Cannibal's had some good, quick meals. Could mention more, don't think I had any bad meals in 2 weeks. Just make sure that when you go to eat, that you don't wait until you are "grumpy hungry" because I don't recall hearing "hurry up" once on the island, so give yourself some time...its worth the wait in most restaurants.
Posted By: IslandJunkie Re: Calientes - 03/18/02 11:29 PM
My mouth is watering just thinking about the Margarita Shrimp at Caliente. By far my fav. eats on la isla bonita! Ate there several times. Great food, good prices. I´ll be dining there in no time at all :-)

(and I say this while my tummy is full of tacos and flan terranova (flan with icecream & kahluah), down here in Mexico. mmmm.....
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Calientes - 03/18/02 11:48 PM
oh, rub it in, IJ!!! it snowed here yesterday!

well, i guess i'd be a heel if i didn't try caliente's next trip! margarita shrimp, huh? mmmmmm.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board