AmbergrisCaye.com Home

First time to AC in July

Posted By: BrianH

First time to AC in July - 06/27/02 01:58 AM

I will be traveling alone to AC for the first time July 18-25, staying at Coconuts. This will also be my first trip to Belize. I've wanted to go to Belize for some time, and got airfare from Chicago I just couldn't pass up!

Can anyone recommend good, yet inexpensive restaurants in town or within walking distance of Coconuts? Nothing fancy, just simple, somewhat healthy meals -- not alot of fried stuff. I know many businesses charge a 5% service fee for using a credit card. Does this apply to the restaurants also?

During my stay, I plan to snorkel and will take at least one mainland trip. There seem to be alot of tour operators offering pretty much the same trips at the same cost, but are there any (trips and operators) that stand out? Coconuts will also arrange trips, but I'd like to consider others.

Thanks for the advice!
Posted By: KC

Re: First time to AC in July - 06/27/02 03:14 AM

My one piece of advice:

Do your mainland tour (Altun Ha or Lamanai) with Daniel at Tanisha tours. No one is better. Period.

kathy
Posted By: klcman

Re: First time to AC in July - 06/27/02 04:08 AM

agree with KC - Daniel be da man - say Hi to Margie & Ada at Coconuts- watch out for Margie & her dominoes -

ask her about the $400BZ shave that happened there late February !
Posted By: klcman

Re: First time to AC in July - 06/27/02 04:09 AM

oh - and El Patio just around the corner - great food
Posted By: Gela

Re: First time to AC in July - 06/27/02 06:57 PM

BrianH - I think you will like Coconuts. Small place but has a great open air bar. Margie and Ada will take good care of you. I've been there twice now. My first night - I'm so tired, that walking just around the corner to El Patio is all I have energy to do. It's a great place. They have a special that includes multi-courses but tends to be pricey. Just pick off the ala cart menu and you'll eat well for less. If you head north, you can stop in at George's who has decent inexpensive food. Then there's BCs BBQ on Sunday (a 10 minute walk on the beach), JamBel Jerk Pit (adjacent to Big Daddy's),Caliente's, etc. You will find that you don't have enough days to try all of the restaurants. Just gives you reason to return!
You'll have a great time - safe journey to you.

[This message has been edited by Gela (edited 06-27-2002).]
Posted By: missgompers

Re: First time to AC in July - 06/27/02 07:56 PM

I'm sure you will like Coconuts. We stayed there last year and will be staying there again in a little over a week. You can't beat the price ofr what you get.
There is no pool. But we walked on up the beach to swim in the ocean at Ramon's - nice spot for that.
I agree that El Patio is good but a little pricey.
I don't think we ate fried food once while we were there - just lots of grilled fish, chicken and rice and oh yes the lobster!
Our favorite tour operation was Searious Tours across from Rubies's on the beach.
I think the most fun we had last year was on the Searious Manatee Tour with Willy (the owner and guide). You get to snorkel, see Manatees, and so much more!
You should also go snorkel at Hol Chan. It will blow you away!
Have fun!
Posted By: trina

Re: First time to AC in July - 06/27/02 09:23 PM

BrianH, for a good discussion on local restaurants, check out the "Restaurants Galore" thread on this forum. It has some useful information for ya!! Have fun!
Posted By: BrianH

Re: First time to AC in July - 06/28/02 01:00 AM

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Keep them coming! This is a great site -- I've been finding alot of good information here.
Posted By: Wild Bill

Re: First time to AC in July - 06/29/02 05:28 AM

What's a typical price for lobster on A.C.?
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: First time to AC in July - 06/29/02 01:26 PM

about $15 US. i think.

Re: First time to AC in July - 06/29/02 09:37 PM

Yes, at The Reef, it was US $17, but included a full meal, with rice, veggies, etc.
Posted By: D brandt

Re: First time to AC in July - 07/05/02 09:05 PM

When anyone asks about something to do.
I just have to share what my husband and I
do when we go down for three weeks in Feb.
We go on the El Gato Catamaran. Geraldo and
Justo will go North or South snorkeling.
My favorite trip is to go to Caye Caulker
for the day w/a snorkel stop on the way
and another the way back. This is something
a single person can do. Just call Geraldo at
206-2264 he will tell you when he is going
out and you can go with a group.
This is worth checking out...
bb
Posted By: Marty

Re: First time to AC in July - 07/07/02 01:09 AM

for more on El Gato, see: //AmbergrisCaye.com/elgato/

Re: First time to AC in July - 07/07/02 01:13 AM

the fresh fruit plate anywhere is usually awesome. cool & refreshing. i got fruit (usually melons & pineapple, sometimes mangoes or papaya) whenever i could.
Posted By: denverdan

Re: First time to AC in July - 07/10/02 05:55 PM

Re: First time to AC in July - 07/10/02 06:59 PM

Posted By: ptk628

Re: First time to AC in July - 07/11/02 01:13 AM

since no one will reply on my message, let me piggy back on another.

can anyone give me their thoughts on Lily's hotel for a single traveler?

any info would be good. going to AC on the 22nd

Re: First time to AC in July - 07/11/02 11:36 AM

nothing personal, i juat haven't stayed there.

i understand it is very reasonable & clean. no frills.

Re: First time to AC in July - 07/11/02 05:11 PM

I have not stayed there, but eaten at the restaurant. It's right on the beach, seems clean, and the folks running it seem nice. O
Posted By: snowbird

Re: First time to AC in July - 07/11/02 06:43 PM

ptk628 - see you previous Lily's? post - there are some answers there now. Hope they help!

Re: First time to AC in July - 07/11/02 07:54 PM

[Linked Image]
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board