AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: jaminout Snorkeling on AC - 03/20/02 02:10 AM
I read somewhere that it's not recommended to snorkel from the beach, you need to pay for the snorkeling trips or hire a guide. Also, it's recommended to bring your own gear. Any recommendations?????
Posted By: trina Re: Snorkeling on AC - 03/20/02 03:16 AM
I think it's too dangerous to snorkel off the beach; at least in town. There are MANY speed and excursion boats zipping around constantly. North of town, at the more isolated resort areas, it's probably a different story. Less boat traffic. I'm not sure about that. We brought our own snorkel gear, just because...hmmm. I guess we're just "control freaks". No only kidding...ha!! We just liked the idea of having our own snorkel gear, that we know would definetly fit us properly. We could use it wherever and whenever we wanted to, and wouldn't have to pay extra on any tours or excursions to "rent" their gear. Also, we kayaked out near the reef and snorkeled, we took a 1/2 day tour to Mexico Rocks, and we did an all day tour to the Blue Hole. All were fun in their own way...!! You'll have a blast!!

[This message has been edited by trina (edited 03-19-2002).]
Posted By: scott meyer Re: Snorkeling on AC - 03/20/02 03:54 AM
i bought a speedo snorkle and mask from target for 12.00 and used it about 7 times and it worked fine....when you consider the cost 25-40 US the snorkel tours are really a good deal considering they take you out in the boat far enough so you can see he good stuff hey it's only money and they know what they're doing...we wanted to try a night snorkeling trip but ran out of time any body out there ever do that?
Posted By: KJ Re: Snorkeling on AC - 03/20/02 05:46 AM
Trina
Where were you when you kayaked out to the reef to snorkel, and were there buoys to tie your kayak to or did you just hold a line from the kayak while you snorkeled.
KJ
Posted By: trina Re: Snorkeling on AC - 03/20/02 06:35 AM
There are kayaks outfitted with anchors (I think), but you have to be really careful, obviously, not to touch or damage any coral. We had one without an anchor though. What we did we was kayak out, one of us would stay in the kayak, the other would snorkel around the area and then we'd switch. I dont' recommend this unless you are a confident swimmer, snorkeler and kayaker. Hint: the hardest part of the whole thing is getting in and out of the kayak with all your snorkel gear. There's NO graceful way to do it! Obviously, you can't go where there's a lot of surf or waves breaking. We stayed well back from the reef, on the land side of the reef that is. We were probably a about 1 mile from shore, max. That day was really cool....while I was sitting in the kayak, I saw a eagle ray leap out of the water not 50 feet from me! I thought I was seeing things. I asked the guy at the kayak shop later if that could be true? I didnt' think they could "leap" out of the water. Although we did see a lot swimming around the kayak, and even followed one for a while. The kayak guy said, yes, they definetly leap, if being pursued by a predator. Coooooooool!

[This message has been edited by trina (edited 03-19-2002).]
Posted By: seashell Re: Snorkeling on AC - 03/20/02 10:23 AM
Say, Trina, didn't you wonder how big the predator was that would make an eagle ray jump out of the water? I mean, after all, wasn't that your loved one out there in the water with . . . (insert theme from Jaws here) [Linked Image]
Posted By: jaminout Re: Snorkeling on AC - 03/20/02 06:19 PM
Thanks for all the info, hope to be there in late May early June. How's the weather at that time, although it really doesn't matter as long as theres big water, sand, palm trees and adult beverages. Speaking of adult beveages, what's the local fav?
Posted By: trina Re: Snorkeling on AC - 03/20/02 07:11 PM
Good question regarding predator!! Mostly there were nurse sharks in that area, harmless; the big ones-tiger sharks and hammerheads, prefer deeper,more isolated waters, I think! (insert Jaws theme here). The most lethal situation we were in was actually in Bali. We were kayaking under similar circumstances as described above, right close to a beach actually. All of a sudden my husband jumped out of the water, into the kayak. There was coral snake swimming around our kayak. Extremely poisonous!!! NO anti-venin available! Wow, that put a quick end to our kayaking that day.
Posted By: snowbird Re: Snorkeling on AC - 03/20/02 08:10 PM
to scottm - yes did a night snorkle @ Hol Chan in Feb, it was awesome!! (Info is somewhere in one of my trip reports) If you ever have the chance, I recomend you try. Lots different at nite; different colors for most everything and you see some things you don't in day and everything is BIGGER, must be the time when the creatures come out to explore. It was a blast and a definite for our next time!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board