AmbergrisCaye.com Home

san pedro

Posted By: spanky

san pedro - 03/23/02 07:16 PM

How far is the airport on ambergris from the main town of san pedro? How much for a taxi to town from the airport? Where can you rent golf carts and how much are they ? Thanks folks!
Posted By: Debbie

Re: san pedro - 03/23/02 07:22 PM

the airport is pretty much in town. As far as taxis, most hotels will send a car for you included in your hotel stay.... email the place where you are staying and ask. They will arrange it. Will have cold beer and soda in your room waiting as well. A taxi is only about $5. Golf carts are wonderful and I recommend them. A LOT of fun. We paid $200 for a week. Not bad.
Debbie
Posted By: CHOOCHOO

Re: san pedro - 03/23/02 10:06 PM

DEb,

Yer crackin' me up here. The "airport is pretty much in town". Good grief, ya damn near fall out of the plane into "city hall". It's still not as much fun since they took that little dogleg out of the runway. Dead on about the golf carts. 10 days, about $250 US. Cripes, if SWMBO didn't let me get one I'd actually have to WALK someplace. Perish the thought. Savin' the energy for more cerebral pursuits. Hic.
Posted By: Bittner

Re: san pedro - 03/24/02 02:52 AM

The price on all reports previously are dead on with the golf cart rentals. The real kicker is that one of the main streets is closed and from where we were staying at Banyan Bay they have guards and a rope that goes up when a plane comes in. After the plane lands, then all carts, bikes and vehicles cross over the landing strip to the other side where all the shops, restaurants, etc. is. What a hoot!!! WATCH FOR PLANES!!! It just adds to the ambience of the place.
Posted By: KJ

Re: san pedro - 03/24/02 03:10 AM

ChooChoo
Were did you rent golf carts for $250 ten days.
Or anyone else where are they reasonable.
Thanks

Re: san pedro - 03/24/02 07:11 PM

KJ,

If my short term memory serves me right, y'all are staying up at Belizian Shores? If so, a cart is a bit of a tricky thing up north. The "road" north, past the Palapa, can be a bit of a challenge from time to time. If in fact you are staying there perhaps a daily rental to explore the south end would be your best bet.

10 days is usually around $300 US, but in the spirit of competitive commerce we've been able to leverage "frequent carter points" combined with the volume that having a mob provides(3+ at a time). If in fact you are at BZS, rumor has it that the bar and pool may get a workout on Friday next. I'll apologize in advance, they don't get out of town much, and just don't behave properly in public.
Posted By: spanky

Re: san pedro - 03/24/02 09:10 PM

Can you rent golf carts and take them on he ferry across the river ? Is there a charge for the ferry? How much can you really see of san pedro/ambergris caye from a golf cart? Thanks folks.
Posted By: rickcheri

Re: san pedro - 03/24/02 09:39 PM

A golf cart is a must...really FUN...yes, you can go north on the pull ferry, charge of 5.00 BZ round trip.....i think??
Posted By: Debbie

Re: san pedro - 03/25/02 02:03 AM

Okay Chooch..... I didn't want him to think he would be landing on a downtown street or something.... [Linked Image]
I think the golf cart place we rented from was Cholos or something like that. It was off season, so it was $200 for a week, and $250 for 10 days. We got it for the whole 10 days. I loved it. You take it back every other day or so and they give you another one with a fresh battery charge. they will come get you if you break down as well.
Yes, you can take the cart on the ferry. Although I did so with a great deal of reservation. Hubby had spent a good part of the day on a bar stool at BC's and when we pulled onto the ferry, he failed to set the brake.... We almost ended up in the cut!! Thank goodness there were a couple of strapping young men behind us to hold on!!! I saw my life flash before my eyes (in an inibriated fog of course)but scarey none the less... [Linked Image]
Debbie
Posted By: rickcheri

Re: san pedro - 03/25/02 02:12 AM

Too Funny!!!!

On our trip before, they had some new guys working the ropes and one of them let the rope go and we ended down in the mangroves.. It was funny to see all these guys jump off the barge and try to push it back.. They final got it back.. 30 min. later.. It was great!!!!! Rick

[This message has been edited by rickcheri (edited 03-24-2002).]
Posted By: Chloe

Re: san pedro - 03/25/02 02:37 AM

Just wondering, how much the golf cart rental shop would charge a tourist if they did run the cart into the water at the ferry? Wonder what would happen.
Posted By: Bittner

Re: san pedro - 03/25/02 02:53 AM

Just having returned-renting a golf cart is the best way! It's fun to explore and yes it is a great way to see the island. My husband and son explored all the way up to Belizian Shores, but had some parts where they were not sure they would get through. The ferry with golf cart last week was $10Belize for round trip. Even going to Sweet Basil can be a driving adventure - make sure you stay on the boards they have laid down or you are in the water. Actually, after the fact reading the rental agreement for the cart, it says you should not go past Sweet Basil and a $100 fine if you have to be towed out of the mud/water. However, my husband and 14 year old son had a wonderful time exploring north of Sweet Basil.
Posted By: KJ

Re: san pedro - 03/25/02 04:27 PM

ChooChoo
We arrive at BZS the 28th, the 29th in the AM we are diving,the afternoon we plan on relaxing poolside, sounds like we'll know which group is yours, no need to apologize to us, sounds like a great group you'll have.
Have a great time,
KJ

Re: san pedro - 03/25/02 05:43 PM

KJ,

We've got 6 diving in the morning, and the rest of us will head up to BZS early, or maybe we'll wait until the divers can join us. Waiting, of course, would be considerate, and somewhat out of character. Probably won't be hard to spot us.

CC
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board