AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: teacher Lodging - 04/08/02 08:18 PM
I know this topic has been discussed, but haven't seen the answer(s) I'm looking for...so here...

1) Any news on LATEST situation with mosquitoes up north? (ie Journey's end?) All the old information sounds scary..and I don't want to be miserable--we are arriving the end of May. Thoughts?

2) Here are our final choices...help!
A) Xanadu (like the fact it is closer to town...looks nice, but not a lot about it out there...wish it had a restaurante/bar on location)
B) Journey's End--like the location, facilities, etc...but rooms look outdated and a little rustic...do you agree? I'm kind of spoiled...I admit!
C) Casa Caribe--some old posts really tear this place up...but everything so far seems inviting about it...except its isolation..which isn't neccesarily a problem for us! Does anyone know if we can walk to another resort...or is it REALLY isolated?

I'd love ANYONE'S opinions...I hate making decisions! We want a quiet, relaxing, nice place on a nice beach with nice accomodations..do not necessarily need a "suite" type of place.

Thanks!
Posted By: Flomac Re: Lodging - 04/09/02 03:24 AM
Not to alarm you, I came home with 2 healthy Bot flys in my head from a mosquito,
not a big deal, they were removed (after finding a Doc. that new what they were looking at)however who is to say the next mosie could be carring malaria? We have visited Balize for five years now and LOVE it! We also have taken malaria pills each time 2 Bot flys -No malaria - An ounce of prevention. Have a wonderful time!!
Posted By: teacher Re: Lodging - 04/09/02 01:58 PM
Okay--I'm almost scared to ask...What are "bot flies"--where did you pick them up? Mainland or AC? WHich property did you stay? Can you get those malaria pills from your regular doctor? Thanks so much for your helpful information!
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: Lodging - 04/09/02 02:16 PM
OMG TEACHER, find the thread of bot flies with pix, do a search. it will scare you right back into the uterus, but, don't let it scare you out of a trip to belize.
gay
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Lodging - 04/09/02 02:28 PM
HI Teacher.
I don't think I would be worrying about malaria on the island. My doctor told my husband (who is spending alot of time in Belize) that he would only recommend the malaria pills if he was going to be in the jungle, and for extended periods of time.
The mosquitos are a whole different story. They have usually been worse north of town, and I was there last May-June.
Just relax, and enjoy.... que sera sera.
Posted By: teacher Re: Lodging - 04/09/02 02:36 PM
Since you were there around the same time of year I am planning, do you remember a bad problem up on the north end with mosquitoes?

Thanks!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: Lodging - 04/09/02 06:11 PM
Of the places you mention, I'd pick Xanadu -- nice condo units (though a little strange looking), nice new pool, good location.

Casa Caribe is no more. It became Avalon, which had big timeshare plans, but they've apparently fallen through and who knows what will happen up there.

Mosquitoes are rarely a problem anywhere as long as you're on or near the water and a breeze is blowing. Back away from the water on North Ambergris and also on the far south end of the island they can be pretty bad.

--Lan Sluder www.belizefirst.com
Posted By: SEAduced by Belize Re: Lodging - 04/09/02 07:46 PM
Hi,
I am formally from New Mexico. I have lived here in San Pedro almost nine years. I have never found the bugs to be a problem. Just be sure to bring your bug repellant along. We also take people on Tours to Lamanai. Same goes for the jungle a little bug spray goes a long way.
Posted By: teacher Re: Lodging - 04/09/02 07:58 PM
Thanks everyone for your help!

Think I will bring some bug spray along...good idea.

What tours does everyone recommend? We definitely want to do a "ruins" tour..but don't really know which one to do. Wouldn't mind combining it with a "jungle-type" tour, etc. Of course, the cave stuff looks cool too!

Again, thanks!
Posted By: Flomac Re: Lodging - 04/10/02 05:07 AM
We stayed one week in San Pedro and took a jungle tour, and a week in Placencia and where we also took jungle tours.
So who knows,if it was any big deal I would vacation someplace else. However that has never crossed my mind. You will have a wonderful time, take your spay and get your Doctors advice on malaria pills. RELAX and ENJOY!!
Posted By: KJ Re: Lodging - 04/10/02 04:53 PM
Just came back from Belizean Shores up north, mosquitos were not a problem at all. The no seims (sp?) were out at dusk, for only about an hour, we just went inside or stayed in the breeze, only had a few bites, no bid deal.
KJ
Posted By: teacher Re: Lodging - 04/11/02 03:17 AM
I am actually now really considering Belizean Shores....sounds like you (KJ) enjoyed your time...were you really within walking distance to the restaurantes? We are thinking of renting a golf cart? Thoughts?

Did you like the interiors of the condos? How would you rate/compare them!

Thanks for your help! [Linked Image]
Posted By: KJ Re: Lodging - 04/11/02 03:43 PM
We were within walking distance to Capt Morgans, Capricorns, Journeys End, Rondeviex (sp?), within 5-10 minutes by beach. All these resaurants with menus are one this web site you can look at. Bring a flashlight at night. We also walked to Sundivers Resort, alittle longer walk. Bikes are available from Belizean Shores, and Palapa, Sweet BAsils, were 10 minutes by bike. We biked to town many times, this took 20 minutes to the ferry, which only runs until 8:00PM. We went in town a few nights by water taxi, easy to do, but was $5 US each way per person.
The condo's were very nice. They are new, clean, spacious, and have a large patio with table and chairs to enjoy the scenery. The kitchen is smaller, but has everything you need. We had four people, in the one room condo. The upper level condo's also have a loft that you can request a futon for extra sleeping space. The living room also had a pull out bed. For the money it was very good. Some construction still going on, but we hardly noticed it, was not noisey.
Good luck,
Kathie
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board