AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: amsta06 Any snorkeling from the beach???? - 05/12/02 03:15 AM
Is there any good snorkeling from the beach? I have this unholy fear of just being dumped out in the middle of the ocean without land close by so I guess I'm a little bit of a wuss.......
Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks!
Amber
Posted By: KC Re: Any snorkeling from the beach???? - 05/12/02 04:02 AM
Amber,
Depending on where you are at, you can snorkle near shore in some places. But, it's not like you are "dumped in the middle of the ocean". It is very shallow, and in some places you can even stand up (when its a sandy bottom). Also, they will gladly give you a life jacket to wear if you are afraid (I did the first time). We took some "elderly" <ahem> people (and novice snorkelers) last time, with Ambergris Divers, and the guys were soooooo kind. They actually held their hands and pulled them around. Made them feel comfortable.

As they say... "try it, you'll like it!"

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Any snorkeling from the beach???? - 05/12/02 04:40 AM
yes, i was 30 before i got the nerve up, now i'm hooked. they are so patient with ninnies like me.
Posted By: Debbie Re: Any snorkeling from the beach???? - 05/12/02 06:07 PM
Even in the shallow places mentioned above, you are VERY close to shore. You can see the island from the reef and visa versa. Request that they take you to the area where you can stand up. Actually, I saw more incredible stuff there than I did in the deeper part. I can't remember the name of where they took us, but it was amazing. I saw the biggest parrot fish I've ever seen. Didn't even know they got that big. Saw turtles, eels, and the water is more clear because there is more light. Even got to see some squid doing their very graceful and delicate mating dance. You won't lack for sea life.... Don't be scared. They will assist you.
Debbie
Posted By: sweetjane Re: Any snorkeling from the beach???? - 05/12/02 06:32 PM
my first try was off ramon's pier, just to see what it was like. i could even hold on to the stairs while as i looked. there were SO many fish right there, i was like, "cool! let's go!"

a few hours later we were at hol chan.
Posted By: KC Re: Any snorkeling from the beach???? - 05/12/02 10:10 PM
Deb - You talking about Mexico Rocks?

Kathy
Posted By: Debbie Re: Any snorkeling from the beach???? - 05/13/02 04:37 AM
Kathy,
I'm not sure, but it sounds right..... I preferred it there actually. More to see. I recommend it for those with kids or for those who have never snorkeled before. You'll be hooked in 5 minutes!!!
Debbie
Posted By: KC Re: Any snorkeling from the beach???? - 05/13/02 03:03 PM
Deb,
Yeah... Mexico Rocks is up near our house. We've never been there, but we are going to this trip. Then, when we find out exactly where it is, will see if we can kayak to it. FUN!

Kathy [Linked Image]
Posted By: oldmom Re: Any snorkeling from the beach???? - 05/14/02 03:51 AM
I practiced off Ramon's Pier and was off to Hol Chan and Sharks Alley.....loved it and wouldn't have had to hold guide's hand except I should have had fins (there was a current) and he WAS cute!!! I'm 69 years young.Next year I may dive.....

[This message has been edited by oldmom (edited 05-14-2002).]
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board