AmbergrisCaye.com Home

here's what i bring- what to pack

Posted By: Marty

here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/20/02 02:28 PM

getting close!!!!! heading down in 2 and a half weeks...

thought i would share some of my preparation....

here's what i'm bringing:
passports
cash/ travellers checks/credit cards
dive cards
sunblock, number 4 and 30, we mix for the ones in between...
some kind of after bite stuff, for skeeters. benadryl, or ambesol, or rhuligel, something like that
anti skeeter stuff, deepwoods off, 1 oz, or this year i'm also going to try the Avon skin-so-soft bug guard 4 oz
bandaids, a couple big ones
neosporin
zinc oxide, just in case one lil spot gets super sunburned
chapstick with sunblock
some kind of tummy medicine, just in case. immodium/tums
sunglasses X2
small sewing kit
film/batteries/lenspaper/extra lens caps, front and back
books to read
tea bags/ coffee
beach towels
handiwipes
scuba masks
microwave popcorn
ziplock bags, small and large
small flashlite
binoculars

will have cokes, grape soda, sprite, orange in room when arrive- call ahead 3 flats for 6 people
12 gallons of water in room ahead of time

[This message has been edited by Marty (edited 06-20-2002).]
Posted By: Chloe

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/20/02 02:49 PM

What no clothes? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Scanner

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/20/02 03:17 PM

Thanks for your support!

- Your friendly U.S. Pharmaceutical Co.
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/20/02 03:36 PM

marty: i went to bed, bath & beyond & got the "space saver bags" by samsonite to pack the clothes in. they are much like huge ziplocks with air-release valves. you pack your stuff, then squeeze out all the air. they use 50% less space, and keep the clothes fresh & dry until you need them. send out the wife: you gotta get them. i was so thrilled (the little joys in life)

thanks for the recommendation, KC! u were right!

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/20/02 04:40 PM

I will note, on the pharmaceutical angle, that most of that crap we bring each time and never touch. we squeeze it into one small bag and bring the same things just in case. never used the bandaids yet. nor the tummy medicine. use a lil bug off each time. needed xinc oxide once, didn't have it, brought it since then, never used it yet.

i have a family, so one has to be a bit more protective and prepared when small children are involved.

actually, a one time investment to the pharmaceutical industry of about $30 got most of the stuff. it has lasted for many trips over many years.

and for clothes, i bring 2 pairs of shorts, plus a tshirt, rarely used, just in case for emergencies like too much sun.
Posted By: denverdan

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/20/02 04:51 PM

Hey Marty you better check for expiration dates, especially on your bug stuff! We have been using a product for thee years now and never had a problem till this trip. When we returned we were COVERED in bites. I e-mailed the manufacturer about shelf life and he replied... A shelf life of five years “unless it has separated”.... yep you guessed it, it had separated! lol
Posted By: Bobber

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/20/02 05:37 PM

long list.
If it wasn't for my wife, mine would be

Bathing suit
dive bag
2 pairs of shorts
2 t-shirts
2 pairs of underwear
cap
visa card
money.
sandals
sunglasses

A big appetite and a big thirst.
Posted By: NJgirl

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/20/02 06:45 PM

On the medicine front, the boyfriend went through lots of Pepcid (but he's prone to that sort of thing). I brought ginger capsules, supposedly good for seasickness (but I used them to calm the post-rum punch trauma).

Do not bring anything resembling a hairdryer or hairspray. With that humidity and that wind, it just won't help. If you're a walker, bring a flashlight for the beach -those crabs don't like to get stepped on!. Speaking of which, I did find myself going barefoot quite a bit, but bring shoes/socks if you're going inland (especially ruins). Clothes should all be comfortable in very hot (90+) very humid (100%, feels like more!) weather. ENJOY!
Posted By: o jackie

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/20/02 08:13 PM

Last year I had read to take garlic atleast two weeks before you leave to keep the skeeters away and I took it for about a month and only got two bug bites, but thye swelled really bad when I got bite and then whinin the hour they were gone with no itching. The asticle said that you may not be able to smell the odor that bad, but when they get close to your skin it detoours them away. So needless to say I am still taking Garlic and have not gotten bitten, unless they just do not like me.
Posted By: Victoria

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/20/02 09:01 PM

I've heard that Bounce dryer sheets tend to help keep the mosquitoes away, if you hang them around on your balcony or tie them on a belt loop ... anyone ever tried that?
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/20/02 10:53 PM

Here's a good story bout Marty and "no clothes". I was having my BIG BBQ/Blessing of my belovied Laguna Punta last year. The "Blessing" was a full scale Church service on my front porch by the local San Pedrito Pentecostals which went on, and on. The Americans were patiently awaiting the conclution of the sermon for the BBQ Lamb to begin. Well, the sermon was in big part about the does and don'ts of their way. Of particular emphasis was dress code. Women: long shirts, and modest, Men: long trousers and long sleeved shirts. Finally after the sermon, the Americans came upstairs and I tried the best I could to introduce the locals to the visitors. My guest of honor, Marty showed up in some very brief swimwear, not floss, thank God. Anyway, it was quite a moment for me to introduce the Pastor to "Jungle Jim" Casada. The Pastor, I believe, had great respect for Marty after hearing about his great works during and after Hurricane Mitch and Keith, if not Marty's attire.
Posted By: RobertE

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/20/02 11:01 PM

Bill,

I take it that you wore your "formal" jaguar speedos that day for such a special occasion
Posted By: Sandshaker

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/21/02 03:24 AM

ROFLMAO....correction...a very bright flourescent yellow/lime with black dots....LOL

Of course that was before Bill was into Pink!
I shudder to think what he would call a bathing suit now...LOL

Bill is so cool....you gotta wear shades! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/22/02 08:17 PM

Actually, I got really lucky that time. I was formally attired with long sleeve white shirt and long legged Dockers. My "metimorphis" came somewhat later at Basil Jones. That Damned place changed alot of lives!
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/22/02 09:19 PM

Bill - thanks for the yucks!
I learned a lot of things on this last trip.
Tips for women:
1. Regular T-shirts are too hot - take tank tops. 100% lightweight cotton is best - evaporates faster.
2. A sundress that is not fitted around the waist is cooler (and on some people - sexier) than shorts. Wearing this with a half-slip defeats the advantage.
3. One long sleeved, very loose, white cotton shirt is a must to cover up in the sun.
4. For evening wrinkly skirts are wonderful with a nice T-top or spaghetti straps.
5. Sarongs are nice to wrap around a swimsuit.
6. Take powdered laundry soap - it is easy to give anything a quick wash while taking a shower.

I am going to make a cotton coverup that I can put on when I come up from a dive and take my swimsuit off underneath. I NEVER WANT TO GET PICA PICA again.
Harriette
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/22/02 09:31 PM

Jane
The zip lock bags work great. I have been doing this for years. I set out complete sets of clothes. Check to make sure items are interchangeable and put back everything that is not. Then I put back half of what's left. LOL I then put each set in a gallon size (I'm a big girl) zip lock bag - roll it up from the bottom and squeeze all the air out. After zipping I then unroll it and have perfectly packed clothes. Believe it or not this keeps them from wrinkling. It is also easy to quickly pick out what I want and I know what is clean. Dirty clothes go back in the bag (keeps the smelly stuff separate), but not so as to look clean.
I always take at least one decent dress - you just never know! Other than that I find I can go for any period of time with 5 sets. I take on pair of Teva's, a pair of sandals and whatever shoes I wear on the plane. One or two hats helps, but you can always buy one as a souvenir.
Live simple is best.
Harriette

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/22/02 10:10 PM

here's a couple older threads on this subject....
//ambergriscaye.com/message/Forum4/HTML/002048.html
//ambergriscaye.com/message/Forum4/HTML/001534.html
Posted By: silkpainter

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/27/02 06:06 AM

Scubaldy,
Here's a story for ya. When I first moved to San Pedro (with my boyfiend) He used to wash his clothes, WHILE WEARING THEM IN THE SHOWER! I guess he felt that it saved time, or ... well.... whatever, there were a lot of unanswered questions about him.
NYGal & Sandshaker, I know you will get a kick out of this.. because you know exactly WHO I'm talking about.

[This message has been edited by silkpainter (edited 06-26-2002).]
Posted By: NYgal

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/27/02 01:26 PM

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Scanner

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/27/02 04:11 PM

You are Living In Paradise, aren't you?
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: here's what i bring- what to pack - 06/27/02 07:32 PM

silk...you typed "boy FIEND". was that on purpose or freudian?
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board