AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: luther billiards - 07/30/02 08:16 PM
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE PROMPT REPLIES. THIS SHOULD BE REALLY HELPFUL! AM SO LOOKING FORWARD TO VISITING BELIZE FOR THE FIRST TIME

[This message has been edited by luther (edited 08-01-2002).]
Posted By: yat Re: billiards - 07/30/02 09:14 PM
Right across the street from Fido's is a sports bar. It's in a huge 3 story building and the sports bar is on the top floor. Find the stairs and walk up. The place has 2 pool tables along with a dart board (I think). The bar area is nice with a big screen TV and a few tables and chairs.

I was there in Sept. and I'm going back this Sept. It's a good place to catch football is you have to have your sports fix away from home.
Posted By: diveron Re: billiards - 07/30/02 10:03 PM
Mr. C's
Posted By: JmHanna Re: billiards - 07/31/02 02:00 AM
Mr. C's is long gone I understand.
Cholo's and Avalon Reef have tables.
Jim
Posted By: ChilledOut Re: billiards - 07/31/02 04:00 AM
Mr C's has moved to the lagoon side behind the Popular bakery.
Posted By: M-A Gaffney Re: billiards - 07/31/02 01:54 PM
How bout Compadres or Barrel Bar - they both had tables . . . if they are still around. Also the place under Martha's (forget the name). How come people rarely talk about places OFF of Front St?
Posted By: klcman Re: billiards - 07/31/02 07:11 PM
that would be "Sandals" I think - used to be at upper end of BR Drive at entrance to Paradise Resort Hotel
Posted By: klcman Re: billiards - 07/31/02 07:12 PM
and perhaps no one talks "off front Street" because many don't go.
Posted By: M-A Gaffney Re: billiards - 07/31/02 07:40 PM
Because . . . ???
Posted By: JmHanna Re: billiards - 07/31/02 09:13 PM
M-A Gaffney is correct.
Sandals,Marino's,One barrell bar, Los Compadres,and maybe the new Mr. C's all have tables. I think there may be 1 or 2 more. The equipment varies from OK to poor.
I guess i need to get out more.
Posted By: klcman Re: billiards - 08/01/02 01:00 AM
good ?? M-A - no idea. afraid? uncomfortable? who knows...;ets; see how this develops.

Maybe Mr. Pier Lounge will put a table in.
Posted By: Enigma Re: billiards - 08/01/02 01:26 AM
Sometimes some of the out of the way local places don't get mentioned because they are just that....local hangouts.

I know I'm gonna get frickin flamed for saying this but I'm going to say it anyway.
LOL

Nine times out of ten, you can go to the local hangouts and have an uneventful good time. Once in a while, maybe things will get out of hand and they get rowdy as hell. As in bar fights, breaking bottles over each other's heads and the occaisional lovers quarrel that will end up in somebody needing medical attention, etc,etc,etc.

I guess I could recommend the local hangouts but if a tourist got injured on my recommendation, then I'd feel bad.

It's probably just a little safer to recommend places ON the beaten path.

It would be like a New Yorker recommending that you go to this great little hole-in-the-wall bar (the best kind) in the middle of Harlem on a Saturday night and you end up in the middle of a drive by shooting over a drug deal gone bad.

Just my 2 cents worth
Posted By: seashell Re: billiards - 08/01/02 01:43 AM
I hear what you are saying Enigma, but that sort of thing is not limited to the "off of Front Street" places. One of the nastiest fights I've ever seen anywhere, took place in Fido's on Christmas Eve last.

Also, there was a death by stabbing at the Dockside last year.

Now all that said, and everyone has their eyes open, I've also seen a couple of old tourist guys get into it at Fidos. Funniest thing I've ever seen, two old fat guys socking each other, belly bumping and name calling. The locals had to break it up. No wait, now upon reflection, maybe *that* was the ugliest bar fight I've ever seen. hee hee

So don't be afraid to venture off of the beaten path. If you see something starting, get the heck out of there, just like you'd do or should do at home. Or at any bar on "Front Street".
Posted By: toad Re: billiards - 08/01/02 02:23 AM
pier lounge is for chillin
Posted By: M-A Gaffney Re: billiards - 08/01/02 01:52 PM
Jim won't put a table in. Poker machines too popular. (Couldn't resist that shot!) I guess I always felt more comfortable in the little hole in the walls (anybody been to Black & White recently? Learn to Punta the RIGHT way) Not to mention the drinks are generally cheaper.
Posted By: rickcheri Re: billiards - 08/02/02 02:01 PM
Ahhh..we LOVE to play at Sandals!!! It is a bit challenging because the tables are on sand!!! Too fun!!! Especially if you think your good!! C...Yes, people..get off of Front St....there's a whole world out there!!!
Posted By: klcman Re: billiards - 08/02/02 07:45 PM
perhaps we need to have an "off front street" progressive pool tourney????
Posted By: JmHanna Re: billiards - 08/04/02 03:09 AM
Juvenies, by the embarcadero/old football field has a table too.
Posted By: rickcheri Re: billiards - 08/04/02 03:41 AM
We're all for the billiards tournament!!! Begin on tables that have a floor, preferably even....end up at Sandals playing pool in the sand, AFTER a few Belikins!! This may be the beginning of a GREAT idea!! Especially for the folks who live there!! Billiards teams!! YES!!! C
Posted By: Chloe Re: billiards - 08/04/02 04:35 AM
How about the billard table at the bar north of Basil Jones, on a balcony with no roof. Billards under the stars.
Posted By: rickcheri Re: billiards - 08/04/02 01:56 PM
Chloe...what bar north of Basil Jones???? I want to play under the stars!!! C
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: billiards - 08/05/02 05:55 PM
for some of the coldest belikin in town and pool tables go to cholos on the beach by lilys. i will warn you tho, if you get drunk and shoot pool with a guy named smurf he will kick your butt. now folks you have been properly warned!
gay

[This message has been edited by GAY AND DAVID (edited 08-05-2002).]
Posted By: Rubba Re: billiards - 08/05/02 07:10 PM
omg.. the Black and White! Fist time Ive seen its name posted on this board. (another story for another day!!!)
Posted By: M-A Gaffney Re: billiards - 08/05/02 08:29 PM
Not much discussed here "off Front Street" but I'm always ready to start some rass ...
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board