AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Mojo AC in March - Caribbean Villas - 09/14/02 01:45 PM
My fiance and I are going to AC in March '03 for our Honeymoon. We have booked 8 days at Caribbean Villas. Since booking, I have looked at various messages through this board and have noticed that recently, reccomendations for Caribbean Villas have become very rare. Is there a reason that anyone knows of? Have they gone downhill? Thanks for any info you might have.
Posted By: Diane Campbell Re: AC in March - Caribbean Villas - 09/14/02 02:33 PM
Caribbean Villas is in an absolutely lovely setting. Units are a little old inside, but are very comfy, and the hot-tub under the stars is very special.
No reason to worry.
Posted By: GailM Re: AC in March - Caribbean Villas - 09/14/02 02:42 PM
I stopped by Caribbean Villas this past July to check out the property and rooms. Looked fine to me with a bit of refurbishing going on.
Keep in mind the the regulars on the board have their personal favorites so that is what seems to be discussed or recommended.
Also, since CV does not have a pool or a restaurant on site, it may not appeal to those that require these amenities.
If I were on my honeymoon and wanted serenity and natural beauty, then CV would be one of my choices.
Posted By: Mojo Re: AC in March - Caribbean Villas - 09/14/02 04:45 PM
Thanks for your input. I am reassured. I chose CV because their US staff was so helpful. I can't wait to go. By the way, this message board is extremely helpful and well run. Kudos to whoever manages it.
Posted By: deb1022 Re: AC in March - Caribbean Villas - 09/14/02 06:52 PM
Mojo,

Stayed at CV last year and really enjoyed it. We had fun out back walking around the grounds and the people perch. I enjoyed our room, just enough room, nice balcony to drink coffee and the view was wonderful!! Will and Susan were very nice, and the night security guard was friendly. We are going down this November and staying at Tropica because of the pool for my father, and just to do something different. The hot tub at CV leaves a little to be desired. Have fun and give us a report when you come back. It's a must!!! Read and sign the book in your room at CV, very informative and you leave a part of yourself behind in Ambergris.
Posted By: Marty Re: AC in March - Caribbean Villas - 09/15/02 04:45 AM
Caribbean Villas is awesome. You will love it.... We try to stay there at least awhile each time down..... The grounds, the villas, the folks who make it happen are all most totally excellent....
Posted By: BankerWoman Re: AC in March - Caribbean Villas - 09/16/02 04:37 PM
Mojo: We stayed at CV last April. Wil and Susan and the staff were nice and very accommodating. The bird sanctuary and people perch are both fun and the free bicycles are a nice perk. Have to say, though, that the poured concrete sofa and chair (with realtively thin pads for seats and backs) are quite uncomfortable to sit on and are really the only place to sit (other than the bed) inside the room. Perhaps that's one of the renovations they tackled last year after we left?

Lan - In one of the articles you linked to a few months ago was the statement that Caribbean Villas was for sale. Is that still the situation and, if so, does anyone know why? Wil and Susan seemed perfectly suited to this business and life.
Posted By: Marty Re: AC in March - Caribbean Villas - 09/16/02 05:51 PM
It is for sale, and the reason is that Wil and Susan have been doing this a long time, and they want to build a home on the island, and retire a bit and paint, relax, and not work so hard...
Posted By: sweetjane Re: AC in March - Caribbean Villas - 09/16/02 09:30 PM
(those kudos would go to our very own Marty [Linked Image] )
Posted By: BankerWoman Re: AC in March - Caribbean Villas - 09/17/02 01:40 PM
Thanks, Marty. We noticed how hard Wil and Susan worked while we were there. Glad to hear it's for a "good" reason, rather than a "bad" reason (like illness or other issues). Wil and Susan seemed to be good people and we wish them the best.
There are more resorts for sale on Ambergris now than anytime I can remember. You expect to see a lot of hotels for sale in Placencia, but it's a little unusual for San Pedro. I guess the global slowdown and U.S. travel cutbacks are hurting operators.

--Lan Sluder
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board