AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: KathyA What's a girl to wear? - 10/26/02 12:44 AM
Lan, I read your profile and discovered you are from Ashville, NC. Right? As you know, southern girls tend to "dress". We are staying at Casa Tortuga but intend to explore the nightlife of AC. We are all single teachers from Macon, GA between the ages of 30 and 41. I know it sounds like a frivolous question but I have seen your name all over this board and have really wanted your input on a variety of questions. What's a girl to wear?
Posted By: deb1022 Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/26/02 12:46 AM
This ought to be really interesting eek eek eek
Posted By: RobertE Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/26/02 02:51 AM
So ya'll is fixin to go to Belize. Take advice from this Georgia Boy (Albany now living in Colorado)AC aint "HotLanta" or "Buckhead". Shorts and tank tops from Walmart will be about all you need and then you'll be overdressed. Don't bother and resist all temptation bringing any shoes fancier than a pair of $5 flip flops or hiking boots if you do the mainland. I don't care how cute they are and you had to get them on that last shopping trip to Lenox Square.

The fanciest you would want to bring is maybe a sarong type wrap skirt and complimenting blouse and that is for the fanciest of fancy places on AC.

Don't worry word aint gonna get back to Bibb County or around the next alumni sorority tea you weren't dressed. Think more of dressing like a bunch of girls from Alabama that dig NASCAR racing and hanging out in Panama City Beach and going to Shuckums Oyster Bar and you'll do fine. Also ,leave the hair stuff and makeup at home, it aint worth totin. Jewelry too - leave it. You can buy way cool jewelry on AC. SHAMELESS PLUG - VISIT ELIZABETH AT AMBAR IN FIDOS'S COURTYARD - WICKED COOL STUFF!! Pony tails and ball caps work great. The humidity is like that of an afternoon shower in GA, you get the picture.

Also, take half the stuff out of your suitcase and leave it at home. You won't need it, trust me.

PS - Send some real GA BBQ , Nu-Way Chili Dogs or Krystal Cheesburgers out here to Colorado !!! PS root for the DAWGS tommorow, beat the Wildcats.

-Chucky Bob
Posted By: Over_40_Pirate Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/26/02 04:14 AM
AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!! The less you wear the better!!! (please post pics)
...but listen to me cabin-boy, RobertE...he looks better in a skirt than most ('specially when he shaves his legs!) eek AAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!
Posted By: RobertE Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/26/02 04:28 AM
Don't be givin away my beauty tips pirate!!! Personally I prefer my black Donna Karan tank dress, black sling backs and Prada handbag than just an ordinary skirt.

I better start working on my bikini wax too!!
Posted By: hunter Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/26/02 08:38 AM
Loose cotton shorts and shirt over bathing suit. Teva type sandals. Sunblock. Sunglasses. Hat. Money in pocket and you are set.
Posted By: sweetjane Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/26/02 02:36 PM
a few little sundresses may make you feel nice for dinners, but shorts & tops are usually fine. i like to look nice at night. nothing with heels smile they dont work in the sand.
Posted By: Loie Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/26/02 05:22 PM
First time we went, I brought a little black dress and a few other evening pieces just in case we went out for a fancy dinner. They didn't even make it out of the suitcase. If I want to wear something that makes me feel dressed, but not overdone, I throw on a sarong w/matching top and flip-flops.

Maybe it's just my hippie tendencies, but I'm perfectly content in shorts & a t-shirt in any restaurant down there. (Gee, sounds a lot like Denver...really laid back.) The only make up I bring is lip-gloss & mascara. Anything else makes my skin too oily with the humidity. As far as jewelry goes, I leave my wedding ring and fancy pieces at home and trade them for a simple band & hoop earrings. I would just die if I lost RobertE's grandmother's ring!

I try and go for the casual-cute look rather than the club-cute look. The warm weather and the fabrics used in most club clothes will only make you sweat more. Think light & flowy and you won't go wrong.

If all else fails and you'd rather not trust the input from complete strangers, you can do like the rest of us...bring what you're comfortable with and you'll learn what works best for you for the next visit.

After four visits, I think I've scientifically gotten my wardrobe down to what effectively fits in a duffel bag for a 10 day trip. smile This makes the Mr. quite happy.

Good luck and have a wonderful trip.
Posted By: Over_40_Pirate Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/26/02 05:37 PM
Loie...you got that casual-cute look down pat... wink

Janie...high heels work on EVERY man EVERYWHERE! AAAAARRRRRGGGHHH!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/26/02 06:29 PM
KathyA,

Looks like you already got some good advice on what folks wear in San Pedro.

The usual travel advice is to take half the clothes and twice the money you think you'll need. For San Pedro, I'd say take one-fourth the clothes. T-shirts or other tops, shorts, sandals and fast-dry swim suits will take care of 95% of what you wear. In the winter especially, you might wear long cotton slacks and a light cotton sweater some nights.

Some Caribbean islands (for example St. Barths or St. Maarten) can be fairly dressy at night, but it's not that way in San Pedro.

My wife (who was born in Macon)never brings even a skirt to Belize.

--Lan Sluder
(in Asheville, named by Rolling Stone as freak capital of the U.S.)
Posted By: toad Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/26/02 09:54 PM
t backs and far away eyes
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/26/02 11:45 PM
Ladies,
Hello from Moultrie!!
I always tend to travel heavy... for a month's trip, I usually take 4-5 pair shorts, tops, several bathing suits and coverups, and one or two sundresses. One pair of sandles, not much makeup, scrunchies...
When are you going???? Would love to meet up with you.... I know many teachers in your area, as I have worked with cheerleaders all over GA for years.
You will love Belize!
Vicki
PS: But you can leave your Bulldawg stuff at home smile ....
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/27/02 05:30 AM
I get better at the clothes thing every time I go. I'm a short fat over 40 (no tattle tales please about how much over 40 confused ) woman and have actually found that anything that FITS around the waist is too hot when the wind stops blowing.
I've also found that T-shirt material, even when it's a tank top, is often too hot. cool T-shirts that are called "Uni-sex' (ha ha) that fit around the neck or are made of good quality heavy knit material are definitely too hot. As was said, lightweight cotton is best. I like sleeveless shifts, especially the long ones. They are good as a cover-up over a swimsuit during the day or for going out at night. Soft long skirts or dresses that swirl nicely in the breeze are definitely very sexy.
Take several swimsuits.
Harriette
laugh
Posted By: RobertE Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/27/02 05:59 AM
Ibanole - I root for Fla State too now. It was my first choice but the out of state tuition nixed it!!
Posted By: seashell Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/27/02 09:01 AM
Scubaldy nailed it.

Here's part of a post I made a while ago:

You can wear shorts all the time if you want, but I think you'd enjoy it if you took along a couple of sundresses or kicky skirts. Always wear your shoes in the bars/clubs because of broken glass, etc. Flip flops aren't too effective against broken glass but they're better than nothing I guess.
##

Like Scubaldy, I too like to wear long skirts that blow around my legs in the breeze too. Like her, it makes me feel sexy. I always take along a bunch of casual long skirts but that's my personal style. If I looked better in a short skirt, maybe that would be my style instead. Regardless, skirts and sundresses are still what I like to wear in the evening. Nothing fancy though. And I like to dance, so I've always got sandals that are comfy but have nice firm soles and made such a way that I can still walk in the sand with them on. I've usually got a couple of pairs cuz if it rains, well, I'll need the other pair. smile

Another thing that was mentioned in this thread and I'll go along with also, is taking along a light jacket or light knit sweater. When the northers come down in December, it can get chilly at night. You probably won't need it, but you'd rather have it and not use it, than not have it and need it.
Posted By: SanHam Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/27/02 04:51 PM
All these responses are right on. You won't use half the things you bring down and you'll probably end up wearing a couple of your most comfortable and favorites over and over again. Don't worry, cause Casa T has a washer and dryer. To be honest, I lived in swimsuits with coverup or shorts and a t top with built in bra. And that might be another thing to leave at home (lol) - Teva's are great but again, I found I didn't wear shoes at all or if I did, once I got to my destination, I quickly took them off. Putting my real shoes back on when we left AC felt really strange. When did you say you were going (I thought june/july?) Will she need a jacket/light sweater then?
Posted By: seashell Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/27/02 10:17 PM
Oh, geez, no, won't need the sweater in June/July. As for shoes, I know everyone loves not wearing their shoes, even me. But the beach and the streets have been getting more junk in them especially since the hurricane and you can get a nasty cut. Let's not even talk about the occasional worm. I have twice cut my feet on something in the sand. It's nasty and can't be properly healed until home.

On my walks, I'm always picking up pieces of glass and nails, even on the beach, especially down by Big Daddy's and the play park.
Posted By: ScubaLdy Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/28/02 12:10 AM
UMBRELLA! You must have at least one umbrella. . I hope to find a white umbrella to use as much to keep the sun off cool as to stay dry. I take one that folds down very small so it fits in any bag so I am always prepared. As the song goes it never rains - it pours! BTW – it can rain any day of the year. This is not a bad thing – it keeps the plants lush. (The rum keeps the people lush :p )
Harriette
Posted By: seashell Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/28/02 05:01 AM
An umbrella? I just take along those little disposable raincoats that come folded up the size of a purse pack of kleenex. It'll last the amount of time I'm there and the need that I'll have for it (if any) and it doesn't weigh anything in my suitcase.

Last Xmas season though, it rained so often and so hard (I was there for 3 weeks) that I had to go to the hardware and buy a yellow slicker. That made one person very happy when I left it behind. I wonder if I could get it back if and when I need it again? hee hee
Posted By: calcars Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/28/02 06:30 AM
Get naked will ya !!!
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/28/02 06:08 PM
OMG I thought this was a joke
lan sluder,
belize first,
fashion editor
you go girl
wink and on top of that robert e comes thru with the skinny on how to dress
my advice to you is that undergarments can become hot and confining in the tropics.
gay
Posted By: RobertE Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/28/02 07:56 PM
Or just do as my wife does and wear your bikini under your clothes. Helps when you come across a pool. No need to change! Or no underwear is good too, especially when the breeze is a blowin ! Does anywhere on AC have a wet t-shirt contest? Me and Over40 Pirate will be the judges !!!
Posted By: KathyA Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/28/02 09:14 PM
Thanks for all your enthusiastic posts! I can hardly wait for this trip and am already quite sure I'll be going back. Really love this board...would be great to have the opportunity to meet some of you...if I love it as much as I think I will, I hoping for another visit the week after Christmas.

Marty, so my Lilly Pulitzer ensembles from SFA at Phipps are not the style on AC as it is at The Cloister on Sea Island. I guess I won't be submitting any pix to Macon Junior League newsletter. So a bathingsuit and a sarong wrap are appropriate for clubbing on AC? That's nice to know. What the Junior League doesn't know won't hurt them.

ibanole, will be there from 5/31-6/7. Not a bulldog fan...love TECH!!! Oh yeah, 2 of us work with the cheerleading squad at Jones Cty. High School. Would be great fo you could meet up with us.
Posted By: CMNate Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/28/02 10:18 PM
You've gotten a lot of advice, but I'll go ahead and give my two cents. I've been to very few places where you couldn't wear something nice. I'm not saying an evening gown, but sun dresses are definitely doable. San Pedro is small but its not in the middle of the jungle. There is a club there and when I was there for the first time in Aug., I maybe saw one person NOT wearing shoes inside. The island is very laid back, but you won't look out of place wearing shoes. If you are wanting a little more attention (maybe so that someone will ask you to dance or buy you drinks) it's better to look more like a woman than too laid back. There may be a lot of tourists there that are not from Belize and you will look more normal to them. Nice sandals can compliment your sundresses and/or nice shorts and a blouse (no I'm not gay). It seems like a lot of people on this board are married and seem to give the married perspective on issues like this. As a single male who's from the South, this is what I think.

BTW- I'm originally from Columbus.

Nate
Posted By: KathyA Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/28/02 11:12 PM
Thanks CMNate...all advice is welcome.
Posted By: KathyA Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/28/02 11:23 PM
Re: 1:14pm post, I meant to address RobertE, not Marty. oops
Posted By: RobertE Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/29/02 02:43 AM
No problem Kathy. I agree with CMNate one or two sundresses but shorts and a cute top will get a lot of mileage for your packing space. Cute sandals work too, but all the streets are sand and you have to deal with sand getting in your cute sandals which can be a pain. (My wive's perspective)

Don't forgot those NuWay hotdogs for this valuable advice wink
Posted By: Over_40_Pirate Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/29/02 03:28 AM
eek Yup...me an' RobtE judging wet T-shirt contests....comfortable, practical, and cool. Okay, sign me up....somebody's gotta do it. eek

And if you want attention on AC, all you gotta do is look like a female tourist without male companionship...the landsharks will circle in a hurry!
Posted By: KathyA Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/29/02 03:38 AM
Thanks for the incentive to look "nice" However, I get the feeling that looking nice will fall by the wayside...doesn't matter...girls just wanna have fun! Those sharks better watch out.
Posted By: IslandJunkie Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/29/02 05:29 AM
KathyA,
I'm with Nate. I'm not a southern gal, but from the Northwest, where we tend to be as casual as it gets. That said, my friends and I dressed up to go out at night even in San Pedro. There's something that feels great about a pretty sundress or a long sarong. (I wouldn't wear it to a club with a bathing suit, though, unless you put a blouse over it). Couple of hints - make sure the fabric is breathable. It gets hot in those clubs! Also, not too short & flowy - if it's the slightest bit windy (as it usually seems to be), you'll get the Marilyn Monroe "can't seem to keep my dress down" sort of look, which may attract a little TOO much attention. I went out some nights in a sundress, some in shorts, some in light weight capri pants and sleeveless shirt. And though most say pack less than you need (I agree), remember that as humid as it is you may want to have fresh clothes each day/night. I didn't regret filling my suitcase.

Have a blast! Give the land sharks my regards! laugh laugh laugh
Posted By: seashell Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/29/02 10:46 AM
Good point, that had slipped my mind. Take lots of underwear and bras unless you want your shower area to look like a laundry all the time.

Wearing a bathing suit out (even shopping on the street) is out of keeping with local culture and so in my view, is not appropriate. A sarong with a sleeveless blouse is OK but not your bathing suit.

I always take plenty of clothes with me. I like to dress in the evening. I'm not talking fancy, I just like to wear a dress or a skirt out in the evening. Some items, like favorite shorts or skirts, I may wear more than others, it's true. But usually, having the extra clothes means I don't have to do any laundry while I'm away. I rarely, if ever get more than one wearing out an item before it needs to be washed. It is hot and sticky there, especially in the clubs. (and just between us girls, you won't be sorry if you take along some pantyliners to assist with freshness on those dancing nights).
Posted By: Anonymous Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/29/02 02:45 PM
try a moose liner
Posted By: Bobber Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/29/02 04:38 PM
It's good to be a guy. A few pairs of shorts, a few t-shirts, a few bathing suits, a few pairs of underwear. Nobody flippin cares if you wore the same thing yesterday, least of all yourself.
Posted By: KathyA Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/29/02 07:36 PM
Thanks again! Now for the not so obvious stuff.
Is there any trivial item(s) that I might wish I had brought once I get there. Things that aren't necessarily available on AC.
Posted By: Ernie B Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/29/02 07:39 PM
KathyA,,,Too much planning can lose the battle. Don't you ever do something on the spur of the moment? laugh
Posted By: KathyA Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/29/02 10:36 PM
Yes, I go to Atlanta or the beach on the weekend on the spur of the moment but I do not plan a trip for 10 on the spur of the moment. None of us know anything about AC and since I am the planner I'm trying to get as much info as possible and am having fun doing it! I really enjoy spending time on this board and planning this trip gives me a good excuse. Any useful info is welcome to a person who is very excited about this trip(me)!
Posted By: Grace Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/29/02 10:37 PM
KathyA,
The most important thing to learn from this thread is after you pack, take 1/2 of it out. Bring cotton, so it dries fast, but wearing the same thing over and over doesn't matter, since no one will notice after a day of sun and fun. Enjoy! laugh
Posted By: Grace Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/29/02 10:40 PM
Oh, I more thing. I'm in Atlanta...just remember you won't need any makeup except maybe mascara. The humidity washes it all away. And once you get some sun you won't need any anyways. laugh
Posted By: sweetjane Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/30/02 02:11 AM
ZIPLOCS !!!! (where are all my supporters?)

i am an over-packer, and i really do use most all i bring. nah. :p

waterproof band-aids are good. and benedryl cream in case you get bit. advil of course. dried fruit or little munchies. hat with a brim.

and ziplocs! laugh
Posted By: SanHam Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/30/02 02:39 AM
KathyA,

I've been in your shoes exactly so I have some more practical advise. I also made all the plans for the group of ladies I traveled with and as you know staying at Casa Tortuga. Unfortunately, I had not discovered this board before I went. You are right, you need to plan plan plan. Advise #1 - make sure all in your group read all the materials you have discovered about A.C. If anything goes wrong or not to their liking, somehow they will look at you. #2 - make sure they are aware that once you arrive in Belize City you will need to take the 15 minute jumper flight to A.C. make sure they know that these planes are tiny and seat 8-10 at the most. If your entire party cannot get on one plane, don't panic, they leave every 10-15 minute; just wait for them at the A.C. airstrip. If anyone is scared of these planes you can also take a boat to A.C. however it takes an hour and a half I believe. #3 - I would flip a coin for the rooms if I were you. The two rooms up top are the biggest. One room downstairs does not face the beach, however it does have a TV to make up for it. No problem here, but one room downstairs is next to the laundry room and apparently you can hear the sump pump (?) or something going periodically all night #4 - make sure you discuss men; thats right men. Any objections to men visiting you or picking you up. #5 - If anyone wants to go off alone, will the others get mad. and #6- what are the expectations of you as the official planner of this trip (is anybody expecting Cancun like conditions); I say all of this because (sorry ladies) but women can be petty. Those are things that went wrong on my trip (see my reply to Grace for things that went right) LOL. I had no intention of being the "mommie" on this trip or refery (sp) or outing planner. Just make sure your group is clear on what to expect.
Posted By: Grace Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/30/02 03:08 AM
As an addendum...realize that AC is quite small, so it's kinda hard to get lost, or hide from others. Make plans on what to do when you get drunk....cause you will. Oh and again, wear cotton, it dries easy! cool
Posted By: Bobber Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/30/02 03:21 AM
I was wondering when the Ziplocs would come in. Thanks for not disappointing everyone. laugh
Posted By: KathyA Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/30/02 03:30 AM
Thanks girls..only a woman knows what a woman needs(to know). SanHam, you are very in tune with what I'm trying to do. I appreciate your advice and any additional info.
Posted By: KathyA Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/30/02 03:48 AM
Also, SanHam...regarding your comment about Cancun-like environment. My biggest concern has been about the beach. When I booked this trip, I was unaware that most beaches were not walk-in. It doesn't matter to me and since didscovering this have told my companions as much as I knew. For the record, I am not in favor of disturbing the eco-system but would like an honest assessment of the beach at CT. Is the grass so bad that you can't walk in from the steps? Is the bottom mushy? How close is the nearest pier and can you swim from the end of it? Are boats a danger? It doesn't matter to me if I can't walk in. Personally I'll be happy if I can throw a float out from the pier. But...I do need to know exactly what the beach is like at CT. Do tell>
Posted By: SanHam Re: What's a girl to wear? - 10/30/02 04:33 AM
Sorry KathyA, but the water just did not seem inviting to me from the step down. yes the grass is bad and the bottom is mushy but again its a matter of opinion. There probably are good snorkel opportunities here that I missed. Good news is that the nearest pier is right next door and seemed a little more inviting. Most boats are farther out and since you're not in town, there's not a lot of boat traffic, but keep your eyes peeled anyways. You will be picked up at that pier for any arrangements you make for tours. We were the last pickup for one tour and everybody in the boat was amazed at Casa T and wanted to know all about it and how we got it (my arm got tangled patting myself on the back). But I'm excited about the pool. Although i thought Casa T was next to perfect, I kept saying to myself the only thing missing is a pool and they certainly have the room for it. Make sure you stress that AC is a laid back kind of town with dirt roads and if any street had a name, I didn't see it (LOL) but this was part of the charm for me. Leave the American attitudes and judgements at the airport. I slipped into AC mode quite easily (shouting out the taxi window to Pablo,a vendor, that I would meet him at the pool bar, learning to punta at the beach bars, going without shoes). If you keep an open mind and get to know the people, you will have a ball.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board