AmbergrisCaye.com Home

smoking or non-smoking

Posted By: Luis

smoking or non-smoking - 11/13/02 09:30 PM

Hi everyone one this board, Luis here from the Banana "Bunch"

On a previous topic, Tropical Girl and Sandy Crab had some good posts on the no-smoking issue at the new Banana Beach Restaurant.

We haven't really decided on this issue as yet, we are looking into making it a non-smoking dining room, because it's central AC.
The patio outside will actually be a very nice area, where the Pizza brick oven and Brazilian Rodizio will be prepared.

Would like to hear from you all on how much of a problem would be to step outside and "light up".

Luis
Posted By: Ernie B

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 12:10 AM

You can put me down for smoking, drinking,singing, dancing and............ laugh
Posted By: diveron

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 12:24 AM

Luis,

I wouldn't mind steppin out for a smoke.At least I have that option. If a smoking and non smoking section isn't feasible,I think those who choose to smoke should respect that those who don't smoke probably want to dine without smelling and breathing your smoke. Hope the resturaunt turns out great! By the way, am I going to get to eat there this week? cool

Ron

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 12:29 AM

It may be just as easy and comfortable for non smokers to enjoy the fresh air and breezes on the patio.
Posted By: crawfish

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 04:43 AM

Years ago when I was a smoker I did not see (smell) the big deal. I will admit I saw many PO'd looks from nonsmoking people even in
open air restaurants (Anthony's key, Roatan), now as a nonsmoker I suggest if you can keep the smoke from nonsmokers the better they will like your place. I find smelling cig smoke during dinner nasty mad . Hope that gives a clear breath for the nonsmokers...
Posted By: seashell

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 09:35 AM

I like a smoke now and then myself. That said, having a dining experience where I *don't* have to suffer through a smoker at the next table would be a *delight*. It's not like you are banishing the smokers out into the snow and having them huddle around the office building doors to get their fix. You've made a nice area outside and that should be just fine.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 11:47 AM

PUT THEM NON-SMOKING FOOLS OUTSIDE

SHIP IN SOME SNOW FOR THEM
Posted By: Bobber

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 03:48 PM

As a recent convert to a smokeless lifestyle, but who is married to a smoker (I wanted to get my wind back, and God help anyone around my wife if she can't have a cigarette), I would say put them in an outdoor area where the natural breezes will dissipate the smoke, for the pleasure of the non-smoker nazis. This would be a logical solution for the problem. Myself, I will accompany my wife wherever she has to go. Force the smokers to deal with the balmy breezes and a view to the stars. I find people who complain about others lifestyle choices to often be much more offensive than smokers. If the smoke gets heavy inside, I realize it is a problem to be dealt with as it is an inconvenience to more than just the non-smokers.

Once we get rid of the smokers, we can start on the drinkers and the eaters of rich foods. Where will it end? I don't know, don't care, as I sure as hell won't be there to watch it. Does this seem to be an American thing?

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 04:58 PM

As a non-smoking, (in fact allergic to smoke) person, that's one of my biggest complaints about Belize. Sometimes, the breeze can help, but I also know of at least a couple of nights in Fidos, when I have left because of smoke. (One night there, a table of cigar-smokers were right next to me.... my rice and beans with stewed chicken was wasted).
I like the idea of a non-smoking area, but you won't see me there with the husband, he is a 3 pack a day person. frown So much for being a member of the Non-smoking Nazi's.....

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 05:07 PM

In the case of allergies or reactions, I wouldn't consider you to be a nazi, you just have a good self interest. Nothing wrong with that. A smoking area would be a logical conclusion to come to. I do object to relegating the smokers to a "less than desirable" area, which apparently is not the case here. Let's just all get along.
Posted By: Richard Chambers

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 05:13 PM

I think the nonsmoking eating area is a good idea.Don't think it should be asking too much to respect the comfort of those that don't smoke for probably less than an hour or so.I'm an ex smoker, of 30 years or more.Now that food tastes better i'd personally like to enjoy the smells too.
Richard :p
Posted By: CAPTAIN bigzeke

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 05:23 PM

My restaurant is in Florida and we just passed a NO SMOKING amendment so that solves all my problems and I am as happy as a pig in poop because of it! You wanna kill yourself go outside, but don't take me down with you.
Posted By: Mosquitorose

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 05:56 PM

Yeh, second hand smoke is worst than smoking yourself.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 05:56 PM

Just from a marketing point of view, I think making the inside area non-smoking would be a plus. Three-fourths of Americans (who constitute over three-fourths of visitors to Belize) don't smoke and many of these prefer a non-smoking environment for meals. Since nearly all restaurants in San Pedro are smoke-if-you-want-places, having a non-smoking A/C area, and promoting it, would probably bring in customers. And, if you offer smokers a nice option on the patio, that makes nearly everybody happy.

As time goes on, I expect to see more non-smoking options in Belize -- for example, more hotels with no-smoking rooms.

--Lan Sluder <former smoker who still misses it>
Posted By: Diane Campbell

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 06:47 PM

It's great that you are thinking of a non-smoking dining room ...... it's a good idea.
What bothers me more than cigarettes are those great big cigars ......... I'd suggest that you ban them completely indoors or out - they are more difficult on the appetite than cigarettes by far.
Posted By: NYgal

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 07:07 PM

Oh, good subject, but from 'ME' being a permanent quitter of cigarettes I can only add one thing.

Ever smell the bottom of a dirty ashtray??? Well, think how it is for the non smoker, since I can now smell that too.
Kiss someone that smokes, ugh !

Sorry for all you friends that smoke, I did to ! Way too long ! ( and can admit I would like one still ) laugh

Thank Goodness for choices. wink

Good Dining input everyone.
Posted By: Chloe

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 08:12 PM

Com'on FESS UP. You quitters, love the smell of a fresh lite cigarette. I have seen you turn your head toward it, and go AHHHHHHHH.

That being said, all you quitters have done a good thing, so be proud and honor your convictions daily.

Smokers tyically buy more drinks. Before and after dinner drinks.

Smokers linger longer ordering dessert and coffee, and tip accordingly.

Spouses of smokers have a difficult time, due to always having to sit with the smoker in those less desirable section, and yeah outside. We do not like it one little bit. If the smoker has to leave the table to walk outside to smoke, it gets boring each sitting and standing alone, during a good meal.

Outside is ok, if a wind bearer is put up when called for, no one likes eating in gale.

No one likes a long laundry list of DO's and Don't's.
Posted By: yat

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 09:54 PM

Well mQQse, you've finally made my mind up. I think you're an asshole. Just my opinion.
Posted By: lmarquis

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 10:44 PM

IMHO: depends on what is being smoked!!
Posted By: CAPTAINZekeMEMBER1

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 11:28 PM

I'm with you Yat...he is too f--king annoying!
Posted By: CAPTAINZekeMEMBER1

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/14/02 11:53 PM

Secondhand Smoke May Cost $70 Per Person in US
By Alison McCook

PHILADELPHIA (Reuters Health) - Wanna light up? Better ask your neighbors if they can afford it first. An estimate of the expenses associated with death and illness reveals that secondhand smoke may cost people in some US regions, if not the entire country, $70 a year.
The findings are based on an analysis of the costs associated with environmental exposure to tobacco for residents from Marion County, Indiana, according to Dr. Terrell W. Zollinger of Indiana University in Bloomington.
Among Marion County's population of around 800,000, Zollinger and his colleagues estimated that the cost of diseases and deaths that resulted from secondhand smoke reached $56.2 million in the year 2000 alone.
Of that total, $30.8 million stemmed from expenses linked to the premature deaths and illnesses in children exposed to secondhand smoke.
These findings demonstrate in very real terms how a person's choice to smoke is one that can impact an entire community, Zollinger said.
"There's a lot of people who say, 'well, if somebody else wants to smoke, that's fine. It doesn't affect me.' Well guess what? It does affect you," Zollinger said.
In Marion County, Zollinger said that smoking is banned from government buildings and sports arenas, but bars and restaurants are free to permit smoking, and people always can become exposed to secondhand smoke in their home or with friends.
In an interview with Reuters Health, Zollinger explained that he and his colleagues based their estimates on calculations of the costs associated with illnesses that are linked to secondhand smoke. In children, research suggests that breathing in cigarette smoke can increase their risk of asthma and having a relatively low weight at birth. Secondhand smoke in adults has been linked to many ills ranging from asthma, lung and cervical cancers, and stroke.
However, those illnesses can also have other causes, the researcher noted. To determine what proportion of the price tag on each illness stems from secondhand smoke, Zollinger and his team applied so-called risk estimates. For example, around 33% of asthma deaths in adults are believed to stem from secondhand smoke, and 14% of office visits in children due to ear infections have been linked to exposure to tobacco. Consequently, 33% of the total cost associated with death from asthma in adults could be attributed to secondhand smoke, Zollinger said.
Estimating the costs associated with loss of life was difficult, Zollinger admitted. He said he and his colleagues relied on a figure established earlier by the federal government, which placed the value of a human life to be at less than $1 million. He explained that he weighed that value according to how many years a person had lost as a result of an early death, with the death of a child--who lost perhaps 70 years of life--costing more than the death of an older adult, who had already realized most of his or her life expectancy.
Zollinger noted that he expected the total cost of secondhand smoke would be much higher in larger counties, and suggested that other counties estimate the expenses associated with secondhand smoke, as well.
Posted By: Miss Anthropy

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 12:07 AM

I don't smoke, used to, but i'm no wanker. I'll go anywhere in Belize and enjoy myself regardless of the personal choices other are making in their effort to also enjoy themselves, and look forward to dining at the new Banana Beach restaurant. Lighten up Zeke and Yat, your non-smoking holier than thou schtick and ad hominem attacks are way more annoying than smoke.

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 12:53 AM

AMEN! laugh

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 01:47 AM

Better let people smoke in comfort, if they smoke. Taking it away could produce more killer instincts. Just a thought.

How about second hand alcohol? People who do not drink, are in harms way due to others drinking, of course that sort harm is immediate, not as a rule 30 yrs down the road of life. Just a thought.

If people would laugh more, they would live longer happier lives, even with second hand smoke. Just a thought.
*smile* Laugh be jolly, it's a vacation folks.

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 02:59 AM

Luis, make a decent smoking area and I will patronize (with my wife). Getting into the whole smoking issue seems to be a nest of hornets. Once social engineering gets going, it won't stop until all the island kids have helmets. Whatever happened to letting the market determine? Being a Minnesotan, I am on the cutting edge of this debate. first it was "make a seperate area for non-smoking". A few years later it was "make a separate area for smoking". then later it was non-smoking.

About 15 years ago, my wife made a study of her employees in a medical office. checking 5 years of sick time records for 20 employees, 3 of whom smoked, it became apparent that in each single year, each single non-smoker used more sick days than all of the 3 smokers together. Every single non-smoker used more sick days each year than all three smokers added together, all 17 of them. Maybe all that second hand smoke that wafted in from outdoors was much more deadly than the first hand smoke.

Let's face it, it is a genetic susceptibility like everything else. some people are just less hardy and smoke affects them more than it may someone else.

Even after quitting, I did frequent our buildings smoking lounge to read my newspaper. Those smokers tend to be more oral than anal.
Posted By: Mexicana

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 08:44 AM

IF the MQQSE didn't say something...ya all wouldn't have anything to talk about. I would be happy to go outside in the snow!! Now what were we talking about?? don't drink, don't smoke, what do you do??

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 09:31 AM

damn snow in s.p. for xmas....
now theres a frivolous idea for the over-rich

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 09:40 AM

Problem with the over rich now? Lets hear it MQQSE!

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 09:44 AM

OHH NO DONT EG MI ON....

JUS DON GET MI STAAT'D ON THEM ..IN GENERAL TERMS.... NOPE NO WEH

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 09:44 AM

DAMN TROUBLE MAKERS

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 09:49 AM

HEY WAIT,,,
CAT RAT DOG

ONNA STEEK....

NOW THERES THE POSSIBLE ANIMAL SOLUTION

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 09:59 AM

SMOKIN!!

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 04:50 PM

over rich? What a concept. How about under happy? Under content?
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 05:24 PM

it sounds to me like money talks and smokers walk. lan did the math. 3/4 of the average money spending tourists will be non smokers and they will accomodate them. its business. the people will go where they feel that they are being accomodated the best way. the ones that cannot tolerate the smoke for whatever reason will be patrons. the ones that will want to puff after a good meal or with a drink will spend 1/4 of their tourist dollar elsewhere.
gay

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/15/02 09:33 PM

OHMYGOD? You mean the market works? Maybe they need some legislation, as it might just be a fluke(like here in the States).

I still prefer separate smoking/non-smoking sections. Statistics here are 25% smokers, and I would assume it is pretty universal. I don't mind sitting in the smokers section, the wait is usually much shorter :p
Posted By: Ms. Coconuts

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/16/02 01:19 AM

Luis,
I think a non-smoking dinning room is a super idea. If it were a bar a some other sort of entertainment establishment, it would be a harder choice. But people are going there to eat and smoke is very unpleasant while eating.
Posted By: LC

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/16/02 02:54 AM

I'm with Ms. Coconuts 100%! No smoking please!!!
Posted By: Richard Chambers

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/16/02 04:51 PM

Went to a birthday party at a Non Smoking bar in Shiner Texas a while back.It was really packed with folks.Had a real nice smoking area outdoors that a few people used. A pleasant experience that didn't seem to offend anyone.
Posted By: hunter

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/20/02 09:46 PM

We are the heathen, the unclean, at least in California. In California one can no longer smoke in restaurants or even in bars. Consequently those business have lost my business.

My dollars saved from not dining out or visiting the bar here are now spent on more vacations. All of which are outside the US where smoking is a non-issue.

I do linger over my meals, have drinks before and after, and often order dessert in places where I am accomodated. This equates to more money spent in the establishment and a larger tip to the server.

I do not object to being segregated but I do object to being sent outdoors in less than favorable conditions. If your establishment is non-smoking I will not patronize it. If you provide a nice area where I can be served which accomodates smoking then I will try you out.

When the airport changed to non-smoking I really thought this might spell the end of my love affair with Belize. If the restaurants, hotels and such follow suit it definitely will.
Posted By: artspeaks

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/21/02 08:51 AM

As a happy, but often humilated smoker, I am sickened by the superior, obnoxious attitudes of some non-smokers. I am 40 years old and remember when I was able to wait on a bank line, smoking a cigarette. Things sure have changed.

It has become "politically correct" to be rude, hateful and prejudice towards smokers. No other group is treated as badly as smokers these days and we are paying a lot of extra tax money to be treated this way.

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/21/02 08:59 AM

When I don't have the enjoyment of my meal disturbed by inconsiderate smokers, I do linger over my meals, have drinks before and after, and often order dessert in places where I am accomodated. This equates to more money spent in the establishment and a larger tip to the server.
Posted By: GAY AND DAVID

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/22/02 06:07 PM

not to start a war because i feel that the outcome is "what will make the establishment more money?" (as i posted above) BUT, are you saying that all smokers are inconsiderate because they smoke, or, that there are some inconsiderate smokers?
gay

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/22/02 09:47 PM

Perhaps some inconsiderate non-smokers? Smoking isn't the only behaviour that can irritate others in close proximity.
Posted By: ChrisW

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/22/02 09:51 PM

"Perhaps some inconsiderate non-smokers? Smoking isn't the only behaviour that can irritate others in close proximity."

This would be the perfect opportunity for phartmore to chime in with a post:)

Seriously, this is a tough subject and for what it is worth I will throw in some parents wisdom. When one of my kids is bugging the other one and I have to decide whether to focus on the bugger or the buggie, I think is the bugger doing something solely to bug the buggie? If so tell the bugger to stow it. Else separate the two such that each can continue to do there own thing without bugging the other. Who gets to stay and who has to go depends on the activities of the two and how difficult it would be for them to continue there activity elsewhere. A simple example would be one kid is doing homework and the other is watching TV. The kid doing homework is being bugged be the other kid watching TV. The kid doing the homework is moved because moving the TV is more difficult than moving the homework.

So for smoking in restaurants I would have to side with the nons-mokers as it is LESS of an inconvience for the smokers to have alter their behavior in restaurants than it would be for people bugged by the smoke. If the non smokers got their way, the smokers would have to smoke before/after meals or take a smoke break outside during their meal. If the smokers got their way, the people who are bugged by smoke would be forced to wander from restaurant to restaurant hoping to find a place where no one was currently smoking and then hope that no one lit up during their meal.

Ok it is probably not that simple, but maybe it is a place to start...
Posted By: Mosquitorose

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/22/02 11:10 PM

It's not hard...you have a right to smoke...smoke as much as you want...just don't do it around me...I have a right to not get cancer or any other ailment related to smoking. Remember smoking rooms, way back when? the men would retire to smoking rooms and leave the ladies in the parlor. (ladies didn't smoke then lol). That was a nice gesture. It would be nice if restuarants had an inside dinning room..totally enclosed (with glass) for smokers, It would not alienate the smoker so much...even a non smoker would like to eat outside sometime too, weather permitting.

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/23/02 06:19 AM

Gay and David, read hunter's third paragraph and then reread my post. Do you see what I was saying now?

In any event, you asked, I shall answer. Yes, some smokers are inconsiderate and anyone that lights up while I am trying to eat, and the smoke is wafting up my nose while I am trying to eat, I consider, inconsiderate. I appreciate that they are waiting for their meal or have completed their meal, or perhaps enjoying a smoke between courses, and feel that they should be able to indulge themselves. I just don't think that they should be indulging themselves at my expense.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/23/02 07:23 AM

Congratulations for using this forum for feedback.
Timing is everything! This week was the 26th anniversary of &#8220;Stop-Smoking&#8221; day. The newspapers here did some excellent reporting on the subject. While reading them I realized I was able to stop smoking (as many as 4 packs a day &#8211; Pall Mall) in March 26 years ago &#8211; just in time to sponsor a friend in the first Stop Smoking program. laugh
Coincidentally, it was 5 years ago that California passed a law that banned smoking in all public places, including bars and restaurants. The hew and cry was that business would fall off, people would go broke, etc. Strange as it may see &#8211; business has actually picked up. There are no records of any negative consequences. Oh, and too bad for the tobacco industry, but yes, there are fewer and fewer people here who smoke. Tonight, in the grocery store I happened to notice that cigarettes are $38 something a carton. How do you afford to smoke?
I know many of you think California is the home of fruits and nuts &#8211; but those of us who live here know that it is the land of milk and honey and we usually are on the leading edge socially and economically.
LAUGH if you must. Just ask yourself this &#8211; do you want your 12-year-old child smoking? confused Enough said?
I love San Pedro and a number of times I have had to leave a fun gathering due to the fact that I can no longer breath. It would be nice to have some smoke free areas.
Please keep us posted.
Harriette

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/23/02 04:32 PM

San Pedro is not California (if it was, I wouldn't be caught dead there). Belize is a third world country. I would assume they do have a higher percentage of smokers. Has anyone asked them? We can sit here and debate a no win situation all we want, but what do the inhabitants think about it? If the market dictates, they will adapt. Sitting outside and smoking in SP is a lot different than sitting outside in Chicago in the winter. Our gathering places tend to be more enclosed.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/23/02 10:53 PM

Whoa Bobbler
Ambergris Caye and San Pedro in particular is not a 3rd world country! I think the locals might take offensive to this statement.
Actually, I can't recall seeing any native smoking regular cigarettes. The smoke filled rooms were full of Brits and Americanos.
Harriette
Posted By: ckocian

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/23/02 11:27 PM

Don't know if he smokes or not, but George Carlin says it best: A no-smoking area in a restaurant is like a no peeing area in a swimming pool. And pardon me while I go gouge my mind's eye out 'cause I don't like thinking about swimming in a peed-in pool.

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/23/02 11:51 PM

I refuse to butt heads over this issue, as the lines seem to be variable.
I don't see smoke filled rooms, but I do see a lot of them wandering around outside with a butt dangling. I have nothing but respect for the people I have dealt with down there, but I would still consider it a third world country . Nothing at all wrong with that. My favorite vacation spot is SP and I would in no way demean the country or its people.

That's it, I am done, no more comments.

One more comment. Fish poop in the ocean, maybe we need to have a law to prevent this.
Posted By: ckocian

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/24/02 12:12 AM

Bobber sez: One more comment. Fish poop in the ocean, maybe we need to have a law to prevent this.[/QB][/QUOTE]

ckocian sez: That's a whole 'nother discussion.

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/24/02 12:35 AM

Now we are on a roll, really important issues...just tell the fish, no poop inside of reef.......LOL.....or post them a sign underwater in fishphonics......got to love this.

Also, humans no smoking underwater inside or outside of the reef, no exceptions.
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/24/02 01:00 AM

Without a doubt it has to be smoking look how much the cig. companies put into sport and if people want to injure their bodies who are we not to let them(passive smoking is just for lawyers to get rich)
Posted By: SanHam

Re: smoking or non-smoking - 11/24/02 08:12 PM

LOL at all the comments,

Seems to me that smokers will just about smoke anywhere they have too. I have to laugh everytime i see smokers huddled outside an office building in 10 degree weather and a snowstorm just to take a puff. I think if they were told they could only smoke on top of Mt. Fiji, they would gladly climb it for a puff. LOL - Sorry folks, I'm not a smoker and can't sympathize with ya.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board