AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums

Posted By: RobertE

Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/27/03 05:36 PM

Has anyone bought a drum in Belize made by local drum makers for actual use? I'm sure they can be found down towards Dangriga and Placencia. Wondering about availability around San Pedro. Any personal experiences/thoughts welcome or contacts.

Thanks,

Robert
Posted By: tincup

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/27/03 06:06 PM

You can make drums and/or take drumming lessons with Emmeth Young, a master Creole drummer in Gales Point.
I have seen some drums for sale at the arts shop by Fidos.
Posted By: CND

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/27/03 06:51 PM

We bought a hand made drum from Charles Miller he has a little craft shop in downtown Hopkins got some really cool hand painted fish also.
Chris

Oh read the whole post before posting :rolleyes: "in San Pedro"

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/27/03 07:49 PM

Emmeth looks like the guy to talk to. Found his website. Just need to venture on the mainland next trip. Oh well, guess it means I'll need to take a longer vacation
Posted By: tincup

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/27/03 08:13 PM

We stayed at Manatee Lodge in Gales Point. They sent a boat to pick us up in Belize City and took us down the canals and through the northern and southern lagoons to get there. If you have a car you can get there driving, but the boat ride is interesting. We had a few drumming lessons with Emmeth and enjoyed meeting the residents of Gales Point. Only stayed a couple of days, but it seems like the whole town waved and said good-bye as we left. It is one of those places that makes me smile when I think about it.
Posted By: lmarquis

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/27/03 08:32 PM

Hey RobertE: A drum is something that I would buy a kid if I didn't like their parents!
Posted By: Loie

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/27/03 09:55 PM

Oh dear God, tell me he doesn't want to bring drums into our house. Isn't it bad enough that we live so close to Boulder?

LOL
Posted By: Over_40_Pirate

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/27/03 10:44 PM

I'll try not to make so much noise....NOT! AAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/27/03 11:28 PM

boys need drums, just say YES, Loie! You could benefit as well. Those early mornings after a late night when somebody doesn't wanna wake up?
Very subtle alarm clock, drums.
Posted By: Loie

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/28/03 12:29 AM

This I gotta see. Robert taking drumming lessons. If he's any good me & Pirate will have to start a band! (completely laughable)
Posted By: Teenah

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/28/03 08:45 PM

Robert,

Go on with your bad self~ When you find one,
order one for me too!

Teenah
Posted By: kippe

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/30/03 02:39 PM

I for one think it is wonderful that you want to learn to drum! Sometimes it seems that the people that apparently spend most of their days and NIGHTS writing notes on this message board tend to turn it into a rather silly cyberspace nonsense forum. I found a wonderful drum in Hopkins which I (and my neighbors!!!) treasure. There are some great drummers in San Pedro, by the way. And if you don't have the "Paranda" CD, get it. I honor my friends in the Garifuna community......
Posted By: M-A Gaffney

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/30/03 03:52 PM

http://www.stonetreerecords.com/catalog.html

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/30/03 10:30 PM

Hmmmm...me, Loie, and RobertE. Could be interesting, I assume since RobertE can hit those high notes, he would be our vocalist. I'm okay with that, but if he puts on one glove a starts grabin' at his crotch, I'm outta the band!

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/30/03 11:28 PM

No worries Pirate - I haven't had cosmetic surgery or own a pet chimp named bubbles

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 06/30/03 11:37 PM

Okay, but blowing bubbles can't be part of the act either. AAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Garifuna or Creole Hand Drums - 07/02/03 06:05 PM

I bought a drum years ago from Austin Rodriguez in Dangriga. They used to sell good drums in the gift shop at the Sunbreeze Hotel. Not sure if they still do. You can also make your own drum with a craftsman in Cayo, Gales Point or Dangriga, probably Hopkins too.
© 2022 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board