AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Best and Brightest Honoured - 11/24/11 02:05 PM
The Seventeenth Annual CXC National Awards Ceremony took place this morning at an over flowing Bliss Institute, where more than 300 students along with their families and well- wishers witnessed the presentation of certificates of excellence.

This year, three hundred ninety five certificates of excellence, 4 Subject Group awards and 31 individual subject awards were presented.

Seven News spoke with several of the high achievers like Eileen Graham who told us her success came as a result of many sleepless nights!...

Jim McFadzean
"What did you have to do to achieve this certificate? What type of work did you have to put in, in terms of studying?"

Eileen Graham - Toledo Community College
"Well, in terms of studying, I had some sleepless night. I had to have a lot of determination toward studying hard, and keeping up late at night."

Jim McFadzean
"What does this certificate mean to you?"

Eileen Graham
"Well, it means a lot to me. It shows that I really did a lot of work, and it shows that I can really become what I want. And it motivates me to continue on and pursue my goal. I want to be a doctor in the future."

Jim McFadzean
"How many subjects did you take, and were you surprised about the results?"

Ruth Gutierrez - Independence High School
"Well, yes I was surprised because I didn't expect to get a grade 1 in English - for me English was challenging, but I ended up getting a really good grade in that, as well as math. The only two subjects - I passed chemistry; I was surprised. But I know that I studied really hard in all of the subjects. So I deserve it."

Jim McFadzean
"How many subjects did you take?"

Roberto Melendez - Bishop Martin High School
"I took 8 subjects in CXC, and for me, I thought that the hardest one I would have considered was the math. In the end, I saw that I made it out with a grade 2. The hardest one for me was literature, and its the one I got a lower grade - a grade for which was the only CXC that I didn't do great in."

Jim McFadzean
"Now, you're the only one that actually is here from Bishop High School. How do you feel about that?"

Roberto Melendez
"Well, I feel really proud of myself and of my school because I am here representing and being somewhat of an ambassador for my school with the CXC. But I don't want to take as though I'll be the only one. I also want to give recognition to my fellow students who also did great, but didn't have the chance to get a certificate of excellence, rather, a certificate of recognition. I'd like to thank them too: my peers, my parents, my teachers - everyone who helped me to successfully complete my CXC exams."

Jim McFadzean
How many CXC did you take, and which were the most challenging for you?"

Gian Aguilar - Sacred Heart High School
"I took 11 CXC's. I got grade ones in all 11 of them. They subjects that I thought I would find most challenging were physics, mathematics, and maybe chemistry because those are pure science subjects that require a lot of analytical thinking."

Jim McFadzean
"How did you feel about the results?"

Gian Aguilar
"Well, I was quite satisfied with the results, getting grade ones and all A's in the particular subject areas. So, I was proud of that."

Jim McFadzean
"What are your plans now that CXC's are behind you? In terms of your career, what are your plans?"

Gian Aguilar
"Right now, I am attending the University of Belize doing general course subjects. I plan to move on, this coming semester, to information technology and mathematics. And from there, I plan to further my studies."

Jim McFadzean
"Tell us how many subjects you took, and were any of the subjects very challenging for you?"

Asuncion Martinez - Sacred Heart High School
"I took 10 CXC's, and I only had a little trouble with chemistry. Physics was a little bit challenging; the multiple choices, but the rest was alright, and that was it. I got grade 1's and 2's - grade 2 in chemistry and physics."

Jim McFadzean
"What are your plans now that the CXC's are behind you?"

Asuncion Martinez
"Well, I won't really use this because I'll be studying in Guatemala. And if anything, I am applying for a scholarship in the US, so I guess that this is just one more award for me, but if anything - if I have to study in Belize, I'll probably use it for a scholarship. I was planning to go to Saint John's to study math and physics."

Jim McFadzean
"Tell us how many CXC did you take, and how many you passed."

Shantel Jones - Sacred Heart High School
"I took 10 CXC's, and I passed all 10 with grade 1's and 2's."

Jim McFadzean
"Which high school are you from?"

Shantel Jones
"I'm from Sacred Heart high school in San Ignacio, Cayo."

Jim McFadzean
"What are your plans for further studies?"

Shantel Jones
"I'm currently attending Saint John's College in Belize City, and I am studying biochemistry so that I can pursue a career in the medical field. I'm applying to be a doctor."

Jim McFadzean
"Tell us how many CXC's you took."

Josiah Pitterson - Saint John's College
"I took 11 CXC's."

Jim McFadzean
"Did you pass all the CXC's?"

Josiah Pitterson
"Yes, I did pass all the CXC's.

Jim McFadzean
"What were your most challenging subjects?"

Josiah Pitterson
"Math and physics were the most challenging subjects of all. I had to prepare a lot for those two exams."

Jim McFadzean
"Do you believe that Saint John's College prepared you guys well enough for these exams?"

Josiah Pitterson
"They did prepare us adequately. We got the right facilities to accommodate us for accomplishing on the CXC's"

Jim McFadzean
"Tell us, which for you were the most difficult."

Ephraim Madrid - St. John's College
"I took 11 CXC's as well, but I would have to say that the most challenging would have been geography because I didn't have a strong background in that subject."

Jim McFadzean
"And what are your plans in terms of pursuing a degree in your further studies."

Ephraim Madrid
"Currently, I am majoring in biochem at the Saint John's Junior College, and my main focus is to head into the medical field, but I would most likely want to become a pediatrician."

Jim McFadzean
"Tell us how many CXC's you took, and tell us if you were surprised at the results."

Jonas Sanchez - E. P. Yorke High School
"I took 16 CXC's, and I achieved 13 grade 1's, 2 grade 2's, and 1 grade 3. Now, I was a little surprised with the the grade 3; that was in visual arts, and visual arts was one of my stronger subjects. I got the results around mid-august through the online service from CXC, and that was when I realized that I got the 13 grade 1's. I was aiming for first place in the country as well as the region. That was my aim for taking those 16 CXC's."

Ravesh Sukhnandan won the Most Outstanding candidate for the 2011 Caribbean Advanced Proficiency Examinations while Romel Rudon also of St. John's College placed first in the Caribbean Secondary Education Certificate examinations.

Aaron Stock also of St. John's College placed second in the CSEC exams.

Jonas Sanchez a student of Edward P. Yorke High School received the award for the most outstanding candidate in the region for Technical and Vocational studies. He will travel to Trinidad next month to receive his award. Taze Russell Smith also of Edward P. Yorke received a top award in Business.

Channel 7

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board