AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Why Poor People in Belize can't get ahead! - 07/26/13 11:35 AM
Whenever the rich people see the opportunity to make millions off the poor people's head, they do whatever it takes to get it. They construct a "divide" mentality. They ensure that people are for, and against the issue. And for their proponents, they tell them only about the short advantage of the situation. They don't tell them about the long term disadvantage of it. In the essence of all, these wealthy people are making millions off the people's resources while the people are losing a valuable instance of their community.

Click here to read the rest of the article in the Ambergris Today

Interesting article. However, my efforts to help my workers put aside a percentage of their pay for when there is no pay is met with strange looks.
The living 'in the now' syndrome is wonderful for easing fears but does little for accumulating anything.
I once made the mistake of paying them extra for doing a super bang up job and they just didn't come back to work until the money was gone.
What can we 'not so rich' gringos do to help?
Good Luck Kenny Jacobs.....However, a lot has to change....Blaming the people who work hard and get ahead will not solve the problem. All workers must participate in their success.....(and being poor in Belize has very little to do with money).....
Also, poor usually translates to uneducated. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will eat forever.
I'm in Champion.....Ready & willing to teach....We have been fortunate enough to have the opportunity to teach 4 people a trade they did not know....We can see major changes in their lives and it is rewarding to all of us. None of us have a great deal of more money, however we are all richer.....
You know Mr. Kenny Jacobs means well but it is not the rich holding the poor down in my opinion. It is the poor holding the poor down in many cases. They elect the same people who do nothing to improve the lot of most through education, work etic, and example. Their vote is bought cheap for a sandwich, BBQ or favor. These official's interests are usually limited to bettering their position and finances. This isn't a Belize problem, it happens all over. In a few poor countries the rich where thrown out and you know what happened? Situations didn't improve they got worse. The rich or businessman who provided his workers and through them the community with a living is an easy scapegoat and on occasion has deserved this ridicule and condemnation but overall they are a plus for all.

It is very hard to make money. A businessman puts a lot at risk and usually works many, many hours a week. Nothing is guaranteed and you really have to want to make it. There are other costs involved also and I'm not talking financial. Most successful people have to work very hard, relationships; family; and friends all have to stand aside and suffer while you plow ahead. It is not an easy path.

When you finally get there the men who where not willing to make those sacrifices will tell you how you made it off their sweat. How lucky you are and all the rest. Worse they may accuse you of taking advantage somehow and forget all the times you gave them understanding; loans; forgiveness; undeserved generosity; and consideration. Not all cases are like this of course but more than not. I guess that is just the way life is.

My advise would be to support traditional family relationships where the children are supported with education and a good example. Forget about instant gratification and look to the next generation for improvements and hope you can pass that along. When enough follow this example the lot of all will be elevated. Revolution is the answer, revolution of your own sphere of influence to do the right thing, not the manufactured "bad guys" who will only sap your attention.
RIGHT ON JIM! In 1970 a great book came out "The Greening of
America." On the back cover it states 'ALL CHANGE BEGINS WITH THE INDIVIDUAL!

I ran a department of 65 clerks. I gave every one of them the same advantage of promotion. I told them, work hard, learn as much as you can, take every free class offered, apply for every position you qualify for, take chances on promotions, have a 'can-do' attitude and some day you may have my job.

Only five took advantage of it and one does actually have the job I had; the other four have advanced nicely into their comfort zone.

It took me a long time to understand that not everyone is ambitious and the majority are satisfied right where they are - regardless of how much they complain.

The big difference I see between Belize and the US is that here people have family/friends to rely (mooch) on in the US the governments have taken on that responsibility. Both countries have their share of people who feel 'entitled' to not work and still be feed.

We all are the way we are hard wired. One day one of my registration clerks was crying and said she was sick of checking in people who drove a nicer card than her, lived in the same building, got food stamps and free medical care while she worked her ass off. I asked her if she thought she could live that life -style? She wiped her eyes and said 'no.' I told her we are the way we are and they are the way they are. She went on to promote up several levels and get a nice retirement.
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board