AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Krysta Belizean Nursery Rhymes/Folk Tales/Songs - 02/18/14 06:11 PM
Good afternoon!

I'm writing to see if anyone would be interested in participating in my collection of Belizean nursery rhymes and folk tales for children. This is for my graduate school project. Please see the information below, if interested. Thanks!

Pennsylvania State University, University Park
Principal Investigator: Lloydia Price-Murillo

Email Subject Line: Request to participate in research about Belizean folk-tales, songs and nursery rhymes

Hello, allow me to introduce myself, my name is Lloydia K. Price-Murillo. I am currently a doctoral candidate at Penn State University, University Park studying early childhood education. I am studying the emergent literacy practices of parents with their preschool-aged children. I am also interested in how families prepare their children for school. As a Belizean-American I recognize the importance and value of different cultural perspectives and I realize that many cultures engage in academics and education in various ways.

Today I am contacting you because I am soliciting volunteers to participate in a research study designed to collect nursery rhymes, songs, folk tales, and movement games specific to Belize and to the Belizean community here in the United States.

Criteria to participate are:
� Belizean or Belizean-American heritage
� Access to Internet
� Memory of Belizean song or nursery rhyme
� Ability to type up a familiar song or rhyme or describe a game
� Possibility of recording a song, rhyme or game for submission

Your submission is completely voluntary and will be used to create a volume of early literacy practices of Belize. You may choose to submit one or many types of submissions and you may also include those of friends or relatives that wish to participate. These submissions will be used for academic purposes only and all names submitted will be changed to protect identities. As part of my thanks for your participation I will send you a copy of the volume once it is completed and your name will also be submitted in a drawing to win a $25 Visa giftcard.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected] or [email protected]. You may also call 610-396-3150, and leave a message. If you are interested in participating, please reply to this message with the following information:

Name
Type of submission: nursery rhyme, song, folk tale or game
Submission: (please type up your submission or submit a link to your recording)

Submissions will be accepted until March 16, 2014. Please contact me or submit your response before that date. If you know of anyone who would like to participate, please forward this email to that individual.

I sincerely thank you for your time and consideration.

Warmest Regards,
L. Price-Murillo
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board