AmbergrisCaye.com Home

IMPORTING SEEDS

Posted By: ScubaLdy

IMPORTING SEEDS - 03/07/08 05:59 PM

Please tell me if it is OK to bring vegetable seeds into Belize?
Posted By: Loansum-Al K

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 03/07/08 06:06 PM

Go for it Harriette......we'll be down March 18th and promise to bail you out grin
Posted By: SimonB

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 03/07/08 06:10 PM

e-mail BAHA at [email protected], they respond pretty quickly to enquiries.
Posted By: margarita

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 03/07/08 06:31 PM

I looked into it years ago but it was not legal,then. Counted as Agricultural items that need to be declared (if not confiscated). Mine were sunflower seeds.
Also my brother came back to the USA with a few pepita (sp?) seeds that fell out in his pocket - he was searched & the pepita seeds were taken away! So no seeds allowed back in USA that way!
Posted By: Amanda Syme

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 03/08/08 03:50 PM

right or wrong, I bought a bunch of prepackaged flower seeds, popped them in a ziploc bag and brought them home in my checked luggage.

They were still in my bag when I reached home.

You can buy seeds at Prossers, Ace/Hofius and even at Caye Supplies so I imagine that the issue is most likely whether or not they are prepackaged or loose seeds that you picked yourself.

Come to think of it Cal had some prepackaged seeds mailed to him the other day that came via the post office and clearly marked seeds.

Go for it Harriette.

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 03/08/08 05:17 PM

Good tips Amanda. Thanks
Posted By: flip flop

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 06/15/08 04:49 PM

Harriette - are you looking for anything specific? We're coming down in July.

Amy

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 06/16/08 05:33 PM

Coleen, owner of Island Perk, has started a gardening group and wants to focus on teaching schoold children how to raise their own food. Melons, cucumbers, etc. are the most easily grown here. If you want to bring some and donate to this cause it would be greatly appreciated.
We have lerned that it is ok to bring in packaged seeds, it is soild that is not allowed, so no potted plants.
Visit The Verde Group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ACVerde/
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 06/17/08 08:00 PM

I've mailed seeds to several people in Belize, identified as such on the package and customs label. Never had a problem with the seeds getting to the addressees.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Cooper

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 06/20/08 06:55 PM

I used to bring seeds down all the time, never had a problem
Posted By: flip flop

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 06/28/08 03:26 AM

I'm bringing down seeds of green beans (how will these do?), canteloupe, basil, onion, tomato, and a few others for the group. Basically, I "bought out" the dollar store here in Palm Springs.

As you can imagine, there's not a lot of gardening here in the desert unless it's flowers or fruit trees.

I thought about growing some tomatoes in pots on the porch. Has anybody had any success with this?

Everyone....please let's support our garden club and keep this thread going.
Posted By: dabunk

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 06/28/08 03:45 AM

Tomatos grow well if the soil is good here. In a pot with a small trellis should do excellently.
Posted By: Craigswench

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 06/28/08 02:21 PM

I used to bring seeds down all the time for a friend. She had several kinds of melons, green beans, squash, zippers, and a few other things. She constructed an area, covered with screen and fencing, used potting soil, and had a great little garden.
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 06/29/08 12:46 AM

Ray Auxillou in Santa Elena (Cayo) has been growing a lot of tomatoes in containers. He says that the hot weather recently has not been good for his tomatoes and that he has lost a lot of them. He suggests varieties that are more resistant to heat if you are growing them during the hottest months.

--Lan Sluder
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 07/05/08 09:46 AM

We have had luck growing melons on our property. Fed our pet Spider Monkey, Ricky Lake, watermelon...thus the melon patch.
Posted By: pamkillen

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 07/05/08 01:30 PM

I was growing melons but the land crabs loved them. As to tomatoes , there is a hybrid out now that is bred for tropical climates and it does really well in San Pedro. It also tolerates the salt pretty well. The problem when it is really hot is that you get flowers but they do not bud in to tomatoes easily. Ash helps a but when mixed in the soil and water water water. Oh, and do not plant next to habaneros or you get hot tomatoes.
Posted By: elbert

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 07/05/08 03:34 PM

Its almost a magic trick , if you cut palmetto leaves and stick the stem in the ground surrounding your plants the crabs and lizards won't go . I don't know why. I've seen this work and the people doing it seem to be pros.
Posted By: Harvey

Re: IMPORTING SEEDS - 07/05/08 11:04 PM

Nobody, and I mean nobody, loves a big ripe jucy red tomato more than this writer. I come from California and the area of the Sacramento Valley where summer temperatures reach 115 and above, yet, each year I grew some of the most succulent tomatoes ever seen. Heat can destroy your plant but if you use good growing practices, a good hybrid variety, mulch heavily to keep the soil cooler, water sufficiently but not too heavily, perhaps even do a little hand pollinating with a Q-Tip, you should succeed. I'll be growing my own in the ground, in pots and elevated beds in the partial shade of my place in Armenia Village once I become established sometime in Late July and early August. Will keep you advised of my success and/or failure. I'll be bringing down a ton of seed from the US when I arrive in July.
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board