AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Ceviche

Posted By: bonjoe

Ceviche - 08/22/03 10:58 PM

If I wanted to bring Ceviche back to the states in a tupper-ware container (packed in ice of course), will customs allow it? I know bringing food in from another country is sort of taboo but does anyone know if this is allowed?
Posted By: Turnbun1971

Re: Ceviche - 08/22/03 11:09 PM

Anything is allowed if you don't get caught! wink
Posted By: Waterworld

Re: Ceviche - 08/23/03 02:06 AM

well, when immigration asks if you have any foods such as veggies or fruits, if they dont say ceviche than say nope. No fruits or veggies here! lol

Re: Ceviche - 08/23/03 02:09 AM

in other words no, you cannot bring back ceviche unless you lie. You can ask around for different ways of making it, and make it at home with your local veggies and seafoods. There are reasons that they regulate that stuff. Its not cause they dont want you to enjoy ceviche at home with other company, its for health reasons ya know

Re: Ceviche - 08/23/03 02:12 AM

people wonder where these new virus's come from, its from things like that, improperly sealed cooled and contained foods transported from other countries, the bacterieas can some how mutat
Posted By: Chris

Re: Ceviche - 08/23/03 04:06 AM

OK, waterworld, "people wonder where these new virus's come from, its from things like that, improperly sealed cooled and contained foods transported from other countries"?

OMG what baloney.

Let's think of a few new viruses:
West Nile
Monkey Pox
Mad Cow Disease (I suppose an improperly sealed cow might be a problem)
HIV (not so new by our standards but VERY new compared to evolution as a whole)

I have had a couple of beers, I can't think of any more right now. Is Lunatic Pickled Conch Syndrome a "new virus?"

Although I will say this: it seems pretty pointless transporting ceviche from Belize to the USA as it's so easy to make.
Posted By: sweets

Re: Ceviche - 08/23/03 06:43 AM

It might sound strange but if you get it made fresh right when you leave and then get someone to vaccum seal it with one of those little machines it would be just like bringing something from a supermarket, you know - pre packaged. Just and idea...love that stuff too! smile
Posted By: CorozalBayResort

Re: Ceviche - 08/23/03 08:29 AM

smile Ceviche is very easy to make once you have access to conch, shrimp, octopus or fish.
Cilantro is an important ingredient and everyone has onion & tomatos.
We even make ceviche out of chicken.
Had oyster ceviche once and it too was good.
I saw Belize conch for sale at the Granville Island Market in Vancouver, B.C., Canada and in L.A. You might have it in your city. cool
Posted By: Bobber

Re: Ceviche - 08/23/03 01:46 PM

I have been making conch ceviche at home when the mood strikes me. Check with your local seafood retailer if you are looking for conch. Generally they don't stock it, but their supplier probably does and can get it for you in a couple of days. I pay about $12 a pound here in MN, and a pound will make enough for 4-6 people. It is simple to make, and you can make it out of just about anything.

Re: Ceviche - 08/24/03 10:37 PM

Severe acute respiratory syndrome. In fact Belize has lost money due to that new virus. Why dont you research a little more before you run your mouth chris. There are reasons they regulate and have rules. Have you ever traveled accross the border, you know when they spray your tires. What do you think thats for? I got your bologna right here. smile

Re: Ceviche - 08/24/03 10:45 PM

one more thing Chris. If you didnt drink so many beers prior to spelling bologna wrong and talking outta your a** maybe you would than know what you were talking about half way. Wait till your mind is right before you spout off at the lip. ok
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Ceviche - 08/24/03 11:28 PM

eek
Posted By: klcman

Re: Ceviche - 08/24/03 11:31 PM

yeah, what she said ......
Posted By: Pedro1

Re: Ceviche - 08/24/03 11:59 PM

I never realised SARS came from food transportation/spoiling or have I mis-understood something here

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 04:45 AM

waterturd;

I am sorry, I missed SARS out from my list of new viruses. Thanks for naming ANOTHER new virus that has origins that have absolutely NOTHING to do with food transported from other countries.

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 04:48 AM

Baloney = Nonsense.
Posted By: Islenutt

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 04:50 AM

Bologna = bad lunch meat
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 04:51 AM

parts are parts....

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 04:52 AM

pieces parts
Posted By: dbdoberman

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 05:01 AM

would that be bologna or baloney ceviche?

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 05:13 AM

salt encrusted bologna ceviche
Posted By: NYgal

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 02:22 PM

yer all full of ..... smile

Darn klc, ya beat me laugh

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 05:02 PM

You know whats funnier than all the little wise cracks Ive just heard?

A:THEY DONT EVEN KNOW WHERE SARS CAME FROM.

B:DID WE GET AN ANSWER AS TO WHY THEY DONT ALLOW FOODS TO BE CARRIED ACCROSS THE BORDER?

C:DO ANY OF YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE TALKING TO OR ARE YOU ALL DRUNK AND JUST DONT CARE

D:SAVED THIS ONE SPECIAL FOR A SPECIAL GUY....... Chris: I am a turd, not too hard and not too soft, I am a lovely shade of champagne, I am made of very expensive wine's, aged cheeses and meats. Rather than bologna, or should I say boloney.

..........some of you should start your own dictionary, you can start with "boloney" and it seems you would only need about 4 copies. Why dont we all meet sometime, you guys seem very sophisticated as is your vocabulary's seemingly large and impeccable. Im having a great time.
-Maybe had someone in one of your families gotten SARS, you guys would be on another note. Lets try to get an answere as to why they dont allow food transportation in peoples little "ice boxes" country to country? aye:)

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 05:06 PM

Actually Waterworld we did start our own language which dictionaries are supplied,and do want to know what it is called? (answer further down the page)
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
a
aa
a
a
a
a

ENGLISH

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 05:12 PM

Watercaviar;

They say they spray the wheels of cars on border crossings to stop the spread of agricultural pests. The reality is it's just another excuse to collect a fee. No matter, it has nothing to do with smuggled containers of ceviche.

Also, SARS was just another flu epedemic. It certainly didn't come from spoilt food. There have been much worst flu outbreaks in the past...this one the WHO just gave a fancy name. The WHO also managed to bring half of the world's economy to its knees in the process.

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 05:20 PM

hey pedro, boloney =Pretentious or silly talk or writing. I am stating the LAWS of transporting foods and also what the reasons for that\those LAWS are, boloney???? answer that, how is that boloney? people get on this board and ask simple questions about transporting foods, they get a serious answer because thats a serious topic, there are LAWS for REASONS. I am a pilot who trains at one of the best schools in this beautiful world we live in, I think I may know slightly what I am talking about. You heard of the NTSB? Trust me when I say, mutated germs and viruses are the reason we have SARS.

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 05:32 PM

Waterworld.What I think of you is that you are a pretentious prig-You are a student pilot (big deal) in my opinion it is harder and more stressfull to drive a bus in a big city than fly a plane which actually has computers that fly and land the plane for you -added to the fact you rarely have traffic jams (except on the runway).

Since when does the NTSB concern it self with foods-it doesn't it deals with pilot error and crashes etc..

SARS is a virus which has nothing to do with the transportation of food-next you will be saying the common cold is caused by eating lettuce grown in China or Belize.

When the tyres and cars are sprayed on entering Guat. or Mexico it is as Chris says a way of making extra money as half the time there is known to be no chemicals in the spray.
Posted By: Sigmond Frog

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 05:33 PM

water world or water head, who’s splitting hairs? Being an airline pilot presumably qualifies you to fly an airplane, nothing more nothing less. You sound very much like another poster on this board by the name MA that has an equally awesome megalomaniacal complex. Are we dealing with another set of aliases here???

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 05:38 PM

sure whatever you say sigmond frog, wish you were sigmund freud dont ya using those big words.

What Happens to Prohibited Items?

If you bring a prohibited item to the checkpoint you may be criminally and/or civilly prosecuted or at the least asked to rid yourself of the item. A screener and/or Law Enforcement Officer will make this determination depending on what the item is and the circumstances. This is because bringing a prohibited item to a security checkpoint - even accidentally - is illegal.

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 05:41 PM

Now ask yourselves this question.......
Why would they have such a law?
Posted By: Sigmond Frog

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 05:47 PM

bonjoe,

I believe you got enough detail for a well informed decision, better ask elsewhere.

Re: Ceviche - 08/25/03 05:54 PM

Im only trying to help people understand why they cant transport foods country to country thats all, not trying to argue with people who wish they were sigmund freud, I cant compete with that.
Posted By: Loie

Re: Ceviche - 08/26/03 03:19 AM

Anyone have a good ceviche recipe? Would love to make some here at the Colorado Casa!

Thanks!

Loie
Posted By: Short

Re: Ceviche - 08/26/03 03:27 AM

Waterworld, you're just pulling our legs right? The measures you are talking about are merely to give people a safe feeling; they don't help at all, I presume, as a potential self-thinking-pilot you knew that one. Don't be so easily aggravated; that's not the way to make friends - you don't know who you're offening.

Re: Ceviche - 08/26/03 03:18 PM

2 cups cleaned and diced fresh conch (or frozen, thawed)
2 cups diced poached spiny lobster (about 2 lobsters)
1/2 small red onion, diced
3 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
1/2 small red pepper, diced
1/2 small yellow pepper, diced
1/2 small green pepper, diced
1/2 small papaya, peeled, seeded and diced
2 to 4 jalapeno or Serrano peppers, chopped finely (seeds optional)
1/2 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 bunch chopped fresh basil
1/2 bunch chopped fresh mint leaves
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 lime, juiced
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch habanero powder (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Season to taste. Marinate for about 3 hours in the refrigerator, tossing occasionally. Just before serving, adjust seasonings. Freeze stemmed glasses and fill with ceviche. Serve with a basketful of crispy corn chips.
Posted By: Miss Anthropy

Re: Ceviche - 08/26/03 03:20 PM

My ceviche recipe:

Fresh fish: 1 pound snapper, flounder, albacore tuna, conch, shrimp, spiny lobster - cut into 1" x 2" pieces - use one type or a combination-its all good

Fresh lime juice - about 1/2 - 1 cup

1/4 cup grapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil

1 fresh habanero chile or 3 fresh serranos, finely minced

1 small carrot finely minced (optional but good)

small handful of cilantro - chopped

1/2 small sweet onion - finely minced

cumin, salt, pepper to taste, Marie Sharps Hot sauce ain't too bad either smile

toss everything together in a glass or stainless steel bowl and refrigerate for about 2 hours, or less if you like it that way. Its good even overnight, but will be more "cooked". Serve with fresh tortilla chips, lime wedge and an ice cold Belikin. Enjoy! (Guess what I'm going to be making this week, yummy).

Re: Ceviche - 08/27/03 08:40 AM

Emerils ceviche recipe

2 cups cleaned and diced fresh conch (or frozen, thawed)
2 cups diced poached spiny lobster (about 2 lobsters)
1/2 small red onion, diced
3 scallions, sliced on the diagonal
1/2 small red pepper, diced
1/2 small yellow pepper, diced
1/2 small green pepper, diced
1/2 small papaya, peeled, seeded and diced
2 to 4 jalapeno or Serrano peppers, chopped finely (seeds optional)
1/2 bunch chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 bunch chopped fresh basil
1/2 bunch chopped fresh mint leaves
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 lime, juiced
1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
Pinch habanero powder (optional)

In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Season to taste. Marinate for about 3 hours in the refrigerator, tossing occasionally. Just before serving, adjust seasonings. Freeze stemmed glasses and fill with ceviche. Serve with a basketful of crispy corn chips.
Posted By: Laguna Punta

Re: Ceviche - 08/27/03 09:49 AM

My Ceviche Receipe: Order it at Caliente's...eat it there!!!! PS. I've heard of the Soccer War...but never the Ceviche War.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board