AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Habaneros Pepper Sauce

Posted By: RobertE

Habaneros Pepper Sauce - 05/17/04 05:17 PM

Does anyone have a recipe for the pickled onion relish that many restaurants and the food vendors on AC have?

Thanks,

Robert
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Escabeche recipe ??? - 05/17/04 05:50 PM

Do you mean Pico de gallo? Escabeche is a chicken soup. It's usually just chopped onion, tomato, chilis (jalapeno in Mexico, habanero in Belize) & cilantro.

Re: Escabeche recipe ??? - 05/17/04 06:29 PM

Hi Barb,

Not Pico de Gallo. This stuff is just onions in vinegar with maybe a few habaneros or jalapenos cut up and tossed in for a little kick and some other secret spices. Rosita's Burrito stand had it in a big jug and you could put it on burritos/hotdogs. I also had it at Celi's and Waraguma on Garnaches and Salbutes but stupid me forgot to ask for the recipe. Couldn't have been Belilin induced stupidity or anything like that!

I need to find a good Belizean cookbook!
Posted By: Teenah

Re: Escabeche recipe ??? - 05/17/04 06:42 PM

I think we ought to make trip down there next week and personally get the recipe Bobby. You're already ready to go back aren't you? Looks like the birthday party was festive, but your eyes looked a little glassy. Why is that? wink Welcome
home! XXOO
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Escabeche recipe ??? - 05/17/04 07:12 PM

Celi's Deli serves it with panades... outstanding!!
Posted By: cctx

Re: Escabeche recipe ??? - 05/17/04 07:59 PM

I found this recipe for Escabeche, but I don't know anything about it.

4 cloves garlic, peeled
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped ripe, sweet mango
1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper, or to taste
1 or 2 seeded minced serrano or jalapeno chiles
1 medium red onion, peeled and thinly sliced
1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced

Make the Escabeche: Using the chopping attachment and workbowl of a handblender or a mini-chopper, chop the garlic. Add the oils, vinegar, lime juice, mango and salt and puree until the mixture is smooth and emulsified. Stir in the pepper and chiles. (NOTE: You can also use this mixture as a basic Mango Vinaigrette.)
Posted By: Miss Anthropy

Re: Escabeche recipe ??? - 05/18/04 12:30 AM

My recipe is pretty much like what The Reef Restaurant on middle street makes: 1 cup water, 1 cup white vinegar, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt to taste (i use 3 tablespoons usually). Bring water and sugar/vinegar/salt to boil, remove from heat. pour over thinly sliced onions and habanero chilis. let cool, jar and refrigerate, or not if you use the whole jar like we do each week. good on EVERYTHANG.

Re: Habaneros Pepper Sauce - 05/18/04 04:26 PM

Miss A - forgot about it at Reef Restaurant. That's the stuff ! Got to get my butt in the kitchen and whip up a batch.

Muchas Gracias
Posted By: Marty

Re: Habaneros Pepper Sauce - 05/25/16 05:14 PM

Habaneros Pepper Sauce
[Linked Image]
4 cups white onions, sliced
8 habanero, seeded and sliced
12 whole allspice
3 cup distilled white vinegar
1⁄2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1oz lime juice (about one lime)
1/4 c diced carrots

Combine all ingredients in non-reactive bowl. Marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.

Note: The allspice is added for flavoring but is not meant to be eaten-it's too strongly flavored. Remind everyone not to eat the whole allspice.

This fills a 1/2 gallon Kerr jar. Pretty big batch.

=============================

Original recipe that I worked from:

Hot Pepper Onion Sauce Belizean-Style

http://www.food.com/recipe/hot-pepper-onion-sauce-belizean-style-504368

From the cookbook 'Flavors of Belize'. This is spicy good! Note: the salsa/sauce is on the liquid-y side.

Note: The allspice is added for flavoring but is not meant to be eaten-it's too strongly flavored. Remind everyone not to eat the whole allspice.

2 cups white onions, diced small
1 habanero, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
6 whole allspice
3⁄4-1 cup distilled white vinegar (reduced from 1 1/2 cups)
1⁄2 cup water
1 teaspoon salt

Combine all ingredients in non-reactive bowl. Marinate at least 2 hours or overnight.
Alternatively, you can use a food processor to prepare this recipe. Place all ingredients *except* for the whole allspice in food processor and blend. Now stir in the allspice.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board