AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Terrapin Stewed Chicken!!! Anyone have a recipe??? - 06/21/04 06:52 PM
We ate this stuff at several places and it was so good. I already have a good caribbean rice & beans recipe. Does anyone have a good recipe for the stewed chicken?? Thanks!
Here's what Tulu shared with me:

Make a paste with the recardo and water, rub into chicken. Fry chicken in oil until well browned [not done], drain oil and add more of the recardo with water to the skillet [some use a bit of vinegar or lime juice in the water]. Gently stew the chicken until done. Add more water as needed. In a cookbook the technique is known as braising. The amount of recardo is personal preference. Worked for me...have fun & enjoy!
Throw chicken in hot boiling water, take out chicken and de-feather, and then kill the chicken.
Made a mistake...reverse the order.
Sounds tastey. But why de-feather???
ptewey... ack! Your instructions couldnt have come a moment too soon Bill, once again, you've saved the day... MY HERO?
Yep, I'm pretty great alright. laugh
yall forgot to say BAM!!!
I have experimented with many recipies trying to make Belizean stew chicken and here are the basics. Seaason bone in chicken parts, 12 -16 pieces with salt and pepper and brown in a skillet with hot veg oil about 5 minutes per side.Start skin side down then flip. I prefer thighs and drumsticks for stewing but any parts will do. Transfer to a large dutch oven pot and simmer with one 14 0z. can of coconut milk (not sweet cream of coconut , but coconut milk available at any asian grocery or in the Thai section of your supermarket). Add 1 14 OZ can of crushed tomatoes and about 1 cup or more of chicken broth, enough to just cover the chicken. I have tried many different seasoning combinations and it is hard to go wrong but start with 1 Tbls. ground coriander, 2 Tbls. Garam Masala (Indian spice Blend) some cumin , pinch cayenne pepper, tsp garlic powder, tsp onion powder,dash salt and pepper and a few generous dashes of hot sauce (preferably Marie Sharp's to make it Belizian) simmer for about 2 hours on a very low flame and the meat will be fall off the bone tender. Although the Indian spices are not authentic Belize it is the closest I could get without an actual recipe. As long as you braise the chicken in coconut milk and some tomato it will be great no matter how you vary the spices. (fresh ginger adds a nice Asian twist).If you like you can remove the meat and try to reduce and thicken the sauce but it is not necessary. Serve over rice or rice and beans with more Marie Sharps hot sauce to taste. Enjoy.
BAM!!!
thank you Bill
the capt jeff ,brought in snorkel g recipe to his weight watchers meeting they hung me by my thumbs for a hour , but it still sounds so yummy ..
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board