AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Ceviche

Posted By: lakegirl

Ceviche - 04/10/08 03:07 PM

Who can give me the best recipe for ceviche? I am missing it so much and want to give it a try at home!!! We had the best I think from a lady that sold it at Canucks!!

I can never get enough of it when we are there!!
Posted By: KC Jayhawk

Re: Ceviche - 04/10/08 03:12 PM

I agree that the ceviche that I bought from a beach vendor at Canuck's was the best I had on AC!!

Here's a site with a number of varieties of ceviche to try:

Ceviche Recipes
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Ceviche - 04/10/08 03:12 PM

Well, first dive into Gun Lake, and select a fresh Conch.......

Re: Ceviche - 04/10/08 03:18 PM

Pugwash,

I should be so lucky!!! How about snails?!!
Posted By: Coco Loco Lady

Re: Ceviche - 04/10/08 08:47 PM

lakegirl ~ let me know when you've accomplished making the best recipe and I'll meet ya on Gun Lake! lol
Posted By: travelqueen

Re: Ceviche - 04/10/08 09:15 PM

Note to self, try the ceviche from Canucks... hey wait, they don't serve food there, do they? Y'all talking about the street side or Monkey Bites??

Re: Ceviche - 04/10/08 09:24 PM

Neither, TQ!! It's a beach vendor carrying a little cooler filled with plastic cups of conch and shrimp ceviche. Great stuff . . . sell it to you with a plastic fork and a small bag of homemade fried tortilla chips for about $4.00bze. You just have to be lucky and be sitting on a barstool when she wanders in!! Which is generally not a problem for me!! grin
Posted By: Leah-Ann

Re: Ceviche - 04/10/08 09:28 PM

oh, I dunno, KC - I've seen you have problems sitting on a barstool.... laugh :P :P
Posted By: PSUhorty

Re: Ceviche - 04/10/08 11:41 PM

Darned it. When we were there, we made a piont to find the best ceviche we could. Missed that li'l pot o' gold at Canucks. Will have to remember for next time.

Otherwise, we found the best either at El Patio or the Sports bar on Caulker.
Posted By: Chloe

Re: Ceviche - 04/11/08 12:09 AM

KC, was the ceviche lady's name Chena or Gina, something like that?

Re: Ceviche - 04/11/08 12:21 AM

Dunno, Chloe!! . . . sorry! She was shorter than me, I know that!!

Re: Ceviche - 04/11/08 12:23 AM

well, who isn't? crazy
Posted By: Bobber

Re: Ceviche - 04/11/08 01:29 AM

A quick note. Most retailers of seafood buy from a central vendor and they can probably get you conch if you ask them to. I get frozen conch here in MN for about $10 a pound frozen. A pound of conch makes a pile of ceviche. smile

Re: Ceviche - 04/11/08 01:46 AM

Hmmm, never tried to buy conch locally - think I'll check it out. Generally use snapper.
Posted By: pugwash

Re: Ceviche - 04/11/08 03:23 AM

Originally Posted by Leah-Ann
Generally use snapper.

To show how classy I am, I won't even ask......
Posted By: sweetjane

Re: Ceviche - 04/11/08 02:02 PM

ditto, bobber - i never even thought to ask. we usually just use shrimp. next time...

don't forget waruguma's ceviche - very tasty - full of black pepper.

while we've made some yummy ceviche, it never seems to taste the same back here - the limes are different, and my toes are not in the sand...
Posted By: GailM

Re: Ceviche - 04/11/08 02:07 PM

Gosh, no one knows how to make ceviche?...here is the way we Belizeans make it.
Conch
squeeze enough limes to cover your conch
add...diced carrots, fresh habanero to your level of hotness, not too much onions, tomatoes if you are going to eat it all at once, olives since they are not as expensive as in Belize, salt and pepper are a must, and for variation you can use cukes. No conch, then use shrimp or fish. Oh, the seafood is never cooked - that is why you need all the lime to pickle it.
Let it marinade for a few hours and there you go...something similar to Chena's ceviche. She travels the beach so if you are having sundowners, you will see her.

Re: Ceviche - 04/11/08 08:49 PM

Wow, thanks everyone!! I am going to have to try all of these!!

Bobber, what a great piece of info, never thought to ask but that would be great!!

Sweetjane, you are right it won't be the same without your toes in the sand or a Belikin in your hand!! But maybe it will help the "home sickness" I feel!!!

Gail, thanks, I will try yours too, I really think Chena's is the best anywhere!!

Coco, maybe we can get Ceviche at the Beltline bar when we meet? Otherwise you will have to come here and go on the boat and I will make a big batch (after I refine it!!)

Thanks again everyone!!
Posted By: Nancy1340

Re: Ceviche - 04/16/08 09:28 PM

Rick's Garage Ceviche, Denver Colorado 1981

1 lb large scallops cut in 1/2 or 1/4
1-2 seeded chopped jalapanos
1 small white onion
1 med tomato, seeded and chopped
juice from 2 limes
juice from 1-2 lemons

Mix and let maranade at least 6 hours stiring a few times.

Salt only just before serving as salt makes the tomatoes watery.

Adjust peppers, onions and tomatoes to taste. I like more peppers. You can also sub. other sea food. I like scallops.

DangO! This has made me crave some. I think I will make some tonight.

Re: Ceviche - 04/17/08 01:37 AM

Thanks Nancy,

Just read your other post and you guys are going to have a great time!!! Enjoy!!
Posted By: Nancy1340

Re: Ceviche - 04/17/08 05:05 AM

Thanks LG. I just hope it works out this time.
Let me know how you like the ceviche
Posted By: *I Do* Belize Weddings

Re: Ceviche - 04/20/08 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by KC Jayhawk
Neither, TQ!! It's a beach vendor carrying a little cooler filled with plastic cups of conch and shrimp ceviche. Great stuff . . . sell it to you with a plastic fork and a small bag of homemade fried tortilla chips for about $4.00bze. You just have to be lucky and be sitting on a barstool when she wanders in!! Which is generally not a problem for me!! grin

Chloe is correct. And her ceviche is great. It's $7 BZ and she also has her ceviche daily at the counter in Marinas. If you really want great ceviche you should order it from my good friend, yum!
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board