AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 08/07/08 02:40 AM
I figured I would start this with one of my favorite ones.

2 to 3lb firm fish fillets, cut into small bite-sized pieces (use small fish instead of large ones, the pieces will be more tender)
Juice from 8 to 10 limes (enough to cover fish; must use fresh lime juice, not reconstituted)
1 onion, diced
2 to 3 celery stalks and carrots chopped
fresh green chili peppers (no seeds) to taste
3 Tbsp fresh coriander (Chinese parsley) chopped
3 to 4 Tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced

Mix all ingredients together and let sit overnight. Add chopped tomatoes the next day and salt and pepper to taste. Do not do this until the second day because the lime and chilies need to cook the fish.

Serve Ceviche in a cut out gallon clorox bottle with chips.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 08/07/08 02:51 AM
But what about the Clorox? How much?
Posted By: shuffles Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 08/07/08 03:09 AM
Exactly, Clorox (not Clorex) is a luxury here....don't throw it out!!! How much?????
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 08/07/08 01:48 PM
It all depends upon your personal taste but I would recommend that you wait until you wash all of your light/white clothing and clean your bathrooms first with the Clorox. Also if you have any shells to bleach now would be a good time to use before you make the Ceviche! I typically use the normal Clorox as the scented Clorox's make the Ceviche taste funny! grin grin
Posted By: azbob Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 08/07/08 11:06 PM
Good start, carb! Favorites? Too many. I'll have to think. Ouch, that hurts!:-)
Posted By: Chachacoconut Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 11/01/08 01:08 PM
I have to ask, is this Clorox like the bleach I use at home for washing cloth etc.?
Posted By: sunandsand Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 11/01/08 02:24 PM
Are you sure about the "coriander"? I would think Cilantro would be the better choice. This sounds great...even the clorox bottle,if needed. But, thankfully, I have a bowl that would work.
Posted By: terrielinn Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 11/01/08 02:54 PM
mmmmmmmmmm...Pass the ceviche......hold the bleach! wink
Posted By: SP Daily Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 11/01/08 03:21 PM
If you use a "Clorex" bottle (the most common brand here) you needn't worry about consuming the contents...its like water.
Posted By: Amanda Syme Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 11/01/08 03:43 PM
Coriander and cilantro are the same thing - just different names from different places in the world.

Jesse is right about the clorex (tough to buy clorox here) the belizean bleach is almost just like purified water, a quick rinse of the bottle and you would be good to go.
Posted By: SP Daily Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 11/01/08 03:57 PM
In Hawaii cilantro is known as "Chinese Parsley"
Posted By: sunandsand Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 11/01/08 06:03 PM
Hmm..You are right, but here, coriander is the seed, not the leaf. Both would be tasty, tho. I have not used the seed in a salsa or ceviche, but will try it. Perhaps I'm missing out on something worth trying.
Posted By: Moby Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 11/01/08 06:41 PM
Coriandrum sativum is coriander is cilantro. You should all try the part that's normally discarded - the root. Really easy to clean with a toothbrush and great addition in soups, salads, conch fritters or fried wonton.
Posted By: canukgirl Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 11/19/08 08:47 PM
How many tomatoes do you add?
Posted By: carbunkletrumpet Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 11/19/08 09:05 PM
Canukgirl - depends on personal taste, I put in two seeded one and when tomatoes are expensive or look bad I have also used canned Rotel tomatoes or even canned diced ones.
Posted By: canukgirl Re: San Pedro Clorox bottle Ceviche - 11/20/08 04:04 AM
Thanks! I will be trying the recipe this weekend smile
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board