AmbergrisCaye.com Home

JOHNNY CAKES!!??!!

Posted By: Debbie

JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/15/00 08:47 PM

Sandshaker!!!
Oh my gosh. I couldn't believe it when you wrote about the Johnny Cakes! I was raised on them. Haven't had one in YEARS! Oh....What I wouldn't give for a good johnny cake. Why oh why didn't I know they had them in San Pedro while I was there.... My grandmother made them for me every morning when I was a kid, and visiting her in St. Maarten. Drank it with my hot ovaltine. What a warm, fuzzy, memory. She had a Hatian house keeper as well, who used to go on our beach pic nics with us. She would carry along the lid to a drum, build a fire on the beach, and cook them right there along with our fresh conch and fish. Absolute heaven. I'm just sick I didn't know they were there. Please. Eat one for me...........
Debbie
Posted By: Marvel

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/16/00 09:39 PM

Boy, were you lucky! Such a great memory. I like them too! [Linked Image]

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/18/00 07:11 PM

Marvel,
Curious......Where did you have johnny cakes??? In San Pedro or elsewhere??? Were they stuffed as Sandshaker described or were they just plain?? As an adult, I have tried to make them a few times, but they just never tasted the same............ Any of you San Pedro residents willing to share your recipe? This ole Texas girl would welcome a comfort food from the past.
Debbie

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 08-18-2000).]
Posted By: Compass Rose

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/19/00 06:11 PM

I must be from another planet.....what the heck are johnny cakes? I just want to eat one right now!
Posted By: calchick

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/20/00 03:15 AM

I, too, am curious about the true ingredients for Johnny Cakes. The few times I had them in SP they were kind of like a ham/egg/cheese biscuit. Is that a true Johnny Cake or a knock-off of an egg McMuffin? LOL
Posted By: Compass Rose

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/20/00 02:16 PM

Can someone please help me??? I'm stuck in my kitchen with my frying pan in hand and I can't move until someone tells me how to make johnny cakes!

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/21/00 02:25 PM

Compass Rose,
I'll tell you what I know..... Johnny Cakes are sometimes called "journey cakes" in other areas. They are a dense bread, like a heavy bisquit. The ones I've eaten are cooked by pan frying in a skillet or grill. They are about the size and shape of an english muffin. Grandma would pinch off a handfull of dough, roll it into a ball then flatten in with her palm. They weren't cut like a bisquit. In the old days, if someone was making a journey somewhere, they were packed in the lunch pail for the travels. They keep well. I've never eaten one that was stuffed with anything and then cooked as described by sandshaker, but it does sound good. We either ate them plain or poured honey or jam on them when warm. Don't have a recipe. Maybe if you and I keep asking, we'll get one. Bon Appetite.
Debbie
Posted By: Chloe

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/21/00 06:51 PM

Ok here is alittle help on the Johnny Cakes.
It is similar to the Mexican Gorditas.
In a large grocery store you should be able to find MASA Corn Meal in a bag like flour.
Masa works better than regualr corn meal.
It will give you the instructions. It will
say use lard, (my locals says liquified lard)
water and salt. Fry them on a griddle or skillet. Then slice them like an english muffin, and fill with what every you please.
Good luck and eating. LOL

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/21/00 08:27 PM

Chloe,
Do the Belize ones have corn meal as well?? The ones I grew up on had regular wheat flour, no corn meal or masa. Of course, grandma lived on a French island with lots of white french bread. No corn meal products. Belize and other islands have more Spanish influence. Will try to notify some of my relatives for a recipe and keep all posted. My mouth is watering and my tummy is growling!!!!!
Debbie

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/21/00 09:32 PM

Hey Debbie, I did the best I could to find some info. on Johnny Cakes, I figured if I gave some info., surely someone would surface to correct the receipe for Johnnie Cakes. LOL LOL

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/21/00 09:42 PM

Chloe,
LOL....LOL....LOL....LOL
That's one way to approach it!!!! I just emailed a cousin of mine. Hopefully she will have one. I also emailed Sandshaker and told her to beg.
Debbie
Posted By: Lan Sluder/Belize First

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/21/00 09:47 PM

I've never had Johnny Cakes in Belize that were made from corn meal or masa. I've only had ones made from wheat flour.

A typical recipe calls for 3 or 4 cups of flour, about 1/4 cup melted lard or other shortening, couple teaspoons of sugar, 1 teaspoon of salt, 1 tablespoon baking power for each cup of flour and around a can of coconut milk, just enough to make a stiff dough. Mix, pinch some and roll into balls, flatten, prick with a fork, and bake in a 375-400 degree oven for 15 or 20 minutes. Kind of a heavy, sweeter version of a biscuit.

Maybe some are cooked in a skillet on the top of the stove, but I wonder if anyone is confusing Johnny Cakes with Fry Jacks -- Fry Jacks are basically the same thing except fried, usually deep fried. More like the Caribbean version of beignets.

--Lan Sluder

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/21/00 10:46 PM

FOUND IT!!!!!!!!!
For all of you wanting a recipe. Go to: http://www.news.ai/ref/johnnycakes.html

This recipe is from the island of Anguilla, just across from where dear old gandma used to live. The website even has a picture of them, and they look exactly like the ones I'm familiar with. As the site states, there are a hundred different recipes. And as I recall, the ones I ate didn't have cornmeal and were pan fried. But these sound good!!!
Enjoy!!! (No word from Caribbean cousins yet)
Thank you Lan Sluder for your recipe. Actually, yours sounds more like my grandma's execept fried. Glad somebody had some input here. I was at a loss.
Debbie

[This message has been edited by Debbie (edited 08-21-2000).]

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/22/00 01:26 AM

I am now the proud owner of 5 recipes for
Johnny cakes, and I don't cook. Reading each of them, I liked Lan's best with the
coconut milk.
Posted By: Mary and Scott

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/22/00 02:21 AM

We are leaving 9/6 for AC(yes,2 short weeks and we can hardly wait!)Will be sure to have Johnny cakes when we are there..any input on who has the best ones? Debbie..will be sure to have several and think of you!

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/22/00 03:40 AM

Well! Sandshaker started this Johnny Cakes craving, by mentioning she had the best ones at Coral Beach Dive Shop, she said yes Dive shop for breakfast, alittle known fact to the visitors.
Posted By: Wendy

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/22/00 07:01 AM

Ruby's Deli is one of the best!
You need to be there early -- the local people are there early (6 AM) to buy. I think that is a good sign....

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/22/00 02:46 PM

Thanks Mary and Scott!!!
I will really appreciate your eating one of those delicious little cakes in my honor! Please let me know how you liked them when you get back. If you decide to experiment in the kitchen before you leave, Let me know that too!! Have a wonderful time.
Debbie

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/22/00 03:01 PM

Debbie,
I know you are cooking up those Johnny Cakes
in your kitchen, because you cooked in
San Pedro, and most people on this board will remember the Jerk Chicken story.
Deb, Sandshaker mentioned shredded chicken as a filling, one little word of caution to you, please do not use the chicken feet. LOL
Posted By: chicke

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/22/00 04:23 PM

I too was raised eating this wonderful bread stuff! Down south we called them Hoe Cakes. The mixed was of flour,lard and milk. Roll onto a large ball then placed in a cast iron skillet, you then smash it into a large thick pancake, fry in a little grease, flip them when they are a pretty lite brown. As a kid I would eat a whole hoe cake just dripping with butter and homemade cane syrup. Yum!! Thanks Debbie for the wonderful flashback of a simple childhood delight!!

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/22/00 05:31 PM

Chicke....
AMEN to childhood delights and memories....Makes life worthwhile. Hope you're in your kitchen experimenting like the rest of us!!!!

Chloe....
You're so silly!! I got this visual image of a johnny cake with chicken feet in it, sticking out everywhere, and me trying to fry it. But I DON'T DARE!!! Sandshaker warned us of the hazards of frying chicken feet. I can't stop laughing......
Think I might like to try one stuffed with chicken though.....Just the meat, thank you.
Posted By: Sandshaker

Re: JOHNNY CAKES!!??!! - 08/25/00 06:58 PM

LOL...ok....clarification on how a johnny cake should be served.
ANYWAY YOU WANT IT! [Linked Image]

It's kind of like grits or bisquits in the states. I'm from the south....so I eat my grits with butter, salt, pepper and throw in some cheese. Northerners like sugar on it.....LOL...yuk!
I like bisquits 2 ways....sweet...with butter and jam..or syrup, honey, etc. Or, I like them with left over tomato gravy from the dinner meal the night before...LOL
It's just a matter of preference.
You can find johnnie cakes served a variety of ways here....either plain, with butter and jam or honey, like a sandwich with ham & egg, or like my favorite....the chicken filled ones....LOL
It's the filling on those that is so good! The sauce she uses in it is the secret...a well guarded one at that...and that bottle of hotsauce sitting on the counter! [Linked Image]

Be sure and try one! Oh yea...Ruby's is packed early in the morning...don't dilly-dally or you will miss out! [Linked Image]

Travel Club Resorts International http://www.travelclub.net
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board