AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Marty Hot Cross Buns - 04/04/12 02:01 PM

Just in time for Good Friday. Hot Cross Buns are a special treat made every Good Friday in Belize. This bread is just sweet enough to be eaten with cheese,or jelly or peanut butter, or some time of cold cuts. It can also be eaten simply with butter. You may put dried fruit in the dough and honey on top.

Posted By: Marty Re: Hot Cross Buns - 04/04/12 02:03 PM

An Easter tradition: the hot cross bun

Hot Cross buns for Easter
Preparations continue to be made for the observance of Easter. And as we count down to the holiday, many of the traditions that go along with it are in full gear. Love TV's Natalie Novelo and video journalist Brian Castillo have a report on one sweet tradition that is sure to add flavor to the holiday.

LOVETV

Posted By: Marty Re: Hot Cross Buns - 04/07/12 01:56 PM

Easter is not only about last minute shopping and Christian practices; it's also about eating hot cross bun which is basically the main menu for Good Friday. But not many of us know how to make hot cross bun, and if we try, it just does not come out right. In one kitchen here in Orange Walk hot cross bun is the specialty. So, for those who are eager to learn how to make the Good Friday bun we invite you to join us as we air a story we ran last year featuring Miss Betty Lopez and her hot cross bun.

Yari Catzim-Reporting 

Screen_shot_2012-04-05_at_2.31.17_PMIn this kitchen, the work to make cross buns began from 9:30 this morning. Today she is making enough to satisfy orders for over 100 buns, and is doing it 5 pounds at a time. Grandma Betty allowed us into her home for a look at what she says is a labour of love.

Yari Catzim-Reporter 

"How much buns do you have to make for today?"

Miss Betty 

"One hundred and thirty-two."

Yari Catzim-Reporter

"For how much years have you been doing this?"

Miss Betty

"For about fifteen years, because my mama used to do it every year from we were small. We used to watch her so when I was fifteen she used to tell me Betty you have to do it."

Yari Catzim-Reporter

"How much you enjoy doing bun?"

Miss Betty

"I love it, yes I love it."

Yari Catzim-Reporter

"Something that you look forward to?"

Miss Betty

"Oh yes!, I love it. This is how you go about doing the bun, this is one pound and half of sugar, because some people don't like it too sweet you know, sometime you can put two pounds but I use one pound and a half, because some a my people no like it too sweet.

Apart from flour and sugar, Lopez includes two ingredients for a unique taste - cinnamon and nutmeg.

Betty Lopez

I add the Yeast, one pack of yeast, one and half pack of yeast. Then I mix it together so that the yeast could blend good with the flour and the sugar, have to add the cinnamon powder, add the nutmeg and the raisin and the vanilla."

The other ingredients include shortening, butter, raisins and coconut milk. As she mixed her dough Lopez told us that she is working on passing this tradition on to her grandchildren.

Miss Betty

My grandchildren tell me Grand I could see this morning you don't have anything ready for us yet for the kitchen because I know when you ready you are in smile and in happy because i know you love the kitchen."

Yari Catzim-Reporting

"Being that it is Easter you know you see a lot of people want to eat your bun.?

Miss Betty

"Yes, yes a lot of people order buns and I try to do my best because it is a lot of work so I want to train my granddaughter teach her to get in the kitchen and start making bun."

The dough needs to be mixed for at least 45 minutes. After that it is left for a while then kneaded again. After another 45 minutes the last kneading is done and then it is ready for the final step. Many have tasted Grandma Betty's cross buns, and the reviews have all been good.

Miss Betty

"I have eaten some of the bun that you have made before and it is really good what do people tell you when they see you?"

Miss Betty

"People always tell me that how the taste so good. When I went to the shop to buy the flour a young man was there and he said like how a lot of children call me granny Betty you soon start today to do the nice buns I tell him yes, yes, something I like."

And what makes the buns so delicious? Grandma Betty says the most special ingredient in her buns is love.

Yari Catzim-Reporter

"Being that it is Easter you know you see a lot of people want to eat your bun.?

Miss Betty

"Yes, yes a lot of people order buns and I try to do my best because it is a lot of work so I want to train my granddaughter teach her to get in the kitchen and start making bun."

"I believe it is the way that I do it with all my heart, whenever I am doing my buns , I pray and ask God to guide my hands to put all the ingredients together so the bun can come out with good taste and the people will like it."

And as the first batch of bread is taken out and made ready for distribution, we assure you that the customers today will be well satisfied with the soft and tender Creole cross buns made by Grandma Betty.

Betty Lopez makes buns almost every two weeks. If you would like to place your orders for next time you can call 660-9996.

CTV3

© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board