How to Make Belizean Coconut Shrimp - 03/08/13 03:36 PM
Here's a tasty recipe for making Caribbean style coconut shrimp, with a wonderful citrus mango dipping sauce. Coconut shrimp is one of those appetizers that's usually a hit when family and friends get together. See below for the recipe for the mango dipping sauce.
- 1 local egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup belikin beer (Belizean beer)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups flaked coconut
- 24 shrimp
- 3 cups coconut oil for frying
See video below:
- In medium bowl, combine egg, 1/2 cup flour, belikin beer and baking powder. Place 1/4 cup flour and coconut in two separate bowls.
- Hold shrimp by tail, and dredge in flour, shaking off excess flour. Dip in egg/ belikin beer batter; allow excess to drip off. Roll shrimp in coconut, and place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, heat coconut oil to 350 degrees F in a deep-fryer.
- Fry shrimp in batches: cook, turning once, for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Using tongs, remove shrimp to paper towels to drain. Serve warm with your favorite home made dipping sauce.
Check out the Chaa Creek Belize Recipes page where you can find a selection of recipes chosen from their past and present menus; from the kitchen of Lucy Fleming as well as from their guests.
Caribbean Mango Dipping Sauce
Take a look at how simple it is to make a Caribbean style mango dipping sauce with a bit of kick to it. This savory citrus mango dipping sauce goes well with coconut shrimp.