Posted By: Marty
Belizean Seafood Soup - 06/27/17 12:11 PM
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup flour
1 cup onion, diced
4 tablespoons tomato paste
2 cups coconut milk, unsweetened
3 cups fish stock
1 pinch thyme
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup potato, cubed
1 cup cassava, cubed
1 cup green bell pepper, deseeded, diced
1 cup carrot, diced
seafood (as desired)
1 large lobster tail, with shell
1 lb fish fillet
1. First heat oil in a heavy pot, add flour and stir constantly with a whisk until flour is copper in color.
2. Add onions and tomato paste and stir for two to three minutes until onions are a deep golden brown.
3. Add coconut milk, fish stock, thyme and garlic. Mix well, bring to a gentle boil, lower heat and let sauce simmer for ten minutes more.
4. Add potato, cassava, bell pepper and carrots and boil until vegetables are cooked.
5. Add lobster, fish, shrimp and conch and simmer until cooked.
6. While soup is boiling mix grated green plantain with coconut oil, salt and pepper. Form into little dumplings the size of a teaspoon.
7. Add dumplings along with ripe plantain to the soup and bring to a rapid boil for five minutes or until plantains are cooked.
8. Serve hot and enjoy.