AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Spent one of the best vacations in SP February this year.Had wonderful food native to the area. The couple we traveled with and I are planning a party with a Belizean theme and i want to prepare the chicken and rice dish I had at Capricorn's with fried plantains and hot sauce with rice. It was wonderful but i cant seem to duplicate it!!?? Somethings's missing. Oh please, some lucky local who knows the dish well and loves it like I do send me a recipe for this dish. And if you had a wonderful beach bar-b-cue with one of the fishing guides,the way they prepared the fish we caught was also wonderful. Is there a cook book? Someone I can e-mail. Great memories, wish I was there again.
I would also like to have that info. and also the stew beans(I think that is what they are called).
Yes, Yes the stewed beans too!
Jackie O, Do you know anyone at Capricorn's?
Or someone in town that serves native fare.?
Been looking ever since I returned for a similar recipe. Thanks for the encouragement.
making it is easy. it is making it GOOD that is hard.

didn't we all post a rice n beans recipe thread once before?
KZAP,
NO, I do not know anyone at Capricorns, but I do have a very good friend that lives in Orange Walk whose mom owns a resturant. I will email her and see if I could get the recipe,if not I will be on AC on August 10 and in Orange Walk also. So if you could wait till I get back I will be glad to see what I could do.
As far as the BBQ goes, from my memory is was snapper,peppers,lime, butter and some kind of spice,I think, wrapped in foil and grilled for so many minutes.
Jane,
I have been searching for the Rice and Beans and can not find it.
Go to www.belizeans.com website and they have a recipe page. Excellent recipes and very authentic. Dave
never fear, jackie...there is always someone with more time than you (that would be me). try these links.

another suggestion was that Rasta Pasta sells the beans/seasonings (on-line) in a mix. debbie tried it, i think.
//ambergriscaye.com/message/Forum6/HTML/000603.html
http://www.chatboutbelize.com/recipebook.htm
http://www.chatboutbelize.com/recipebook.htm
oh, the last two didn't detail:

you need to click on 'belizean dishes'

then 'stew chicken'

then 'rice & beans'

the recipes are seperate.
Thank you one and all. I went to the first site suggested and ordered the cook book. And copied all the recipes for beans and rice offered by all.
We are going to have a great party albeit the smell of AC and the sea.
Now to find the best rum and ingreadients for panty rippers!!!
I love to cook and would love to hear more about best dishes and recipes from all of you. maybe we could create a group cook book?
Does anyone know someone who sells some of these very unusual spices mentioned in the Belizean food site? Order often from Penzey's but could not find most of them.
One of the spices found in a lot of Belizean dishes including beans and rice is recado, either red or black, the main ingredient of which is the ground achiote or annatto seed. You can buy it in little blocks in Belizean and Mexican stores. Recado rojo is often used in red beans and rice. It's also common in Yucatec dishes. If you can't find it in Mexican food stores in your area, especially if you want to use it in dishes where you rub it on the meat, you can make a version by blending 6 tablespoons achiote paste, 3/4 cup orange juice and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a blender. Store in fridge.

--Lan Sluder
Yes, that is the spice mixture i was looking for. Thank you
Is there a way to order Belizean spices and mixtures on-line?
Genesis in the jungle spices are great. Everything you need in a little packet. You can buy off the main page under belize products. They are also sold at a lot of shops such as Jungle Feva and Island Supermarket in San Pedro next time you or a friend ventures down. Don't forget the Marie Sharps also.

They are packaged by Maralyn Gill of Rasta Pasta in Caye Caulker. Never had the chance to eat at the Restaurant but will next trip (hopefully soon). The spices are great and I occasionally just sniff the package to get that belizean fix ( okay I'm weird but the spice are very aromatic and make me long for the real deal and not my lame attempt to mimic the recipes).

She has a recipe on each packet and sells ones for stewed chicken, rice and beans, jerk chicken, black dinner and a couple of others. It is all the spices you need and the other ingredients you can pick up readily at your local mega mart grocery type store.
Thank you,
Main page? under Genesis?
I will look now.
I sniff spices too
http://miva.islandbazaar.net/Mercha...re_Code=AA1&Category_Code=rastapasta

you know me, i have way too much time...
Wow!

You're all invited!

Thank you
Sandra
did anyone end up trying any of these?
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board