AmbergrisCaye.com Home

underwater camera question

Posted By: catdance62

underwater camera question - 11/10/09 01:20 PM

This is for the divers:
I am thinking of getting my hubby an underwater camera for Christmas, but I was also looking at cameras that take video and still pictures. Most of the video cameras I looked at require some kind of underwater housing, but the underwater cameras do no appear too. Are there any underwater video/still cameras that do not require the housing. Also, are there any recommendations as to your favourite underwater camera?
Thnx in advance!
Posted By: DitchDocDiver

Re: underwater camera question - 11/10/09 02:14 PM

I just purchased underwater housing for my canon 990, its a point and shoot, uses the built in flash, seems to work ok, and it will do video. The problem with all underwater cameras, (both video and still) is that to get good shots, require lots of addtional light. Depends on how serious (read $$$) you want to be.

The canon990 was around $400us and the housing was $200 us, don't forget the weight kit, and addional $25 us. Check the forums at scubatoys.com for more info

Posted By: elbert

Re: underwater camera question - 11/10/09 02:35 PM

The cannon digital in its underwater case with built in flash has given us the best photos on our blog below.
Its simple easy and gives the best results.
Posted By: Bobber

Re: underwater camera question - 11/10/09 02:59 PM

I've got a Canon A610 with the Canon underwater case and altho I've never tried the video feature underwater, it works fine above. The underwater pics are very good, but I do miss the big old strobe on my old film unit. One issue I have with the underwater digitals is a problem with using the lcd screen. If you have enough light to take good pics, you can't see the screen well enough to use it,and have to rely on the eyepiece. In that case, I miss the big gunsight on my old unit.
All in all, the digital is much better.

Re: underwater camera question - 11/10/09 03:04 PM

thanks for the info and links, folks!! Will check it all out.
Posted By: ScubaLdy

Re: underwater camera question - 11/10/09 04:55 PM

You may want to start out as simple as possible and let him move up if he gets into it. It takes good buoyancy control before you start taking pictures. As mentioned above, the Canon's with their own housing are a good way to start. I have invested mega bucks into camera equipment over the years and it gets obsolete fast. Resale on these items are not worth the effort and I would rather keep my stuff as museum pieces than give it away.
My other suggestion is for you two to attend some underwater photo clubs. There are a lot of Underwater Photographic Societies all around the world. Most of the members are very willing to share their knowledge. Had I not joined NCUPS I would have given up in frustration after a short period of time.
Good luck.

Re: underwater camera question - 11/11/09 01:12 PM

thnx ScubaLdy--I was thinking simple might be better at first.
Posted By: swanno

Re: underwater camera question - 11/11/09 06:22 PM

I totally agree with Harriette
I've been diving for about 15 years and got into underwater photography about 5 years ago. Uunderwater photography is great fun but can also be so frustrating when you start to add strobes until you really understand the lighting.
Start with something very simple, most of the P&S cameras have something like a "marine mode" but get a good housing. Shoot on this setting in the highest resolution and then have fun playing with the photo in Photoshop to bring out the colors(the basic photoshop elements does a great job with underwater photos as does most other photo manipulation software)
I had a basic Pentax Optio 5 for many years and was very happy with the results. I purchased a Sea and Sea DX 860G Kit about 2 years ago and are very happy with the results although getting used to positioning the strobe is still a work in progress!!

As with any underwater camera you have to take great care of the housing, soak it in fresh water after every dive and make sure the O rings are clean and kept lubricated.
The slighted little piece of sand or hair in the housing will cause flooding.
Camera do not like sea water!!!!
There is a great FREE on line underwater photography magazine available at www.uwpmag.com

Colin
Posted By: Peter Jones

Re: underwater camera question - 11/11/09 09:19 PM

I've just seen the results from a new camera that Rudy (Island Divers) brought back from DEMA. As good as most pictures I've seen from any compact at any price. The complete assembly, camera and housing good for 140ft, sells for just over US$100, and will be part of his shop's regular stock.

Re: underwater camera question - 11/11/09 10:43 PM

Peter
Is the new camera the Goldline Suprema?

Colin
Posted By: krehfish

Re: underwater camera question - 11/12/09 03:55 PM

I'm far from skilled, but there's a nice cheap camera out there by Go Pro. I fished with this guy last spring http://vimeo.com/4792092 The camera straps to your chest or head, or, at the end of this video, it was taped to the end of a stick.

Re: underwater camera question - 11/12/09 11:03 PM

Colin - I do remember the word "Suprema", so I guess it probably is.

Re: underwater camera question - 11/13/09 12:03 AM

Several years ago at DEMA I bought a 12 megapixal small camera that was made by Nikon but with a different name. They said they were going to develop a housing. It was less than $150 US and were selling like hot cakes. I used mine for a couple of years as a land camera and loved it. You could print poster sized pictures with excellent resolution.

Then it fell off my golf cart into a very muddy puddle. I had turned on a lot of people to their website but when I went to replace mine it had been taken over by a Japanese outfit and raised the price and no housing.

The technogolgy is out there. I want to hear more about this new one.
Posted By: DitchDocDiver

Re: underwater camera question - 11/13/09 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Peter Jones
I've just seen the results from a new camera that Rudy (Island Divers) brought back from DEMA. As good as most pictures I've seen from any compact at any price. The complete assembly, camera and housing good for 140ft, sells for just over US$100, and will be part of his shop's regular stock.

wow, I wish I would have known about this before I bought a $200us housing for a $400us cannon!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001T2I6P4/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=
$65us
Posted By: seashell

Re: underwater camera question - 11/13/09 02:27 PM

Not that I don't want to give Rudy my business, but getting it from Amazon is too great a saving for me to pass up.
Posted By: klcman

Re: underwater camera question - 11/13/09 07:26 PM

Spec's seem to indicate 115ft and no flash. apples & apples?

Re: underwater camera question - 11/13/09 08:00 PM

Rated to 115ft..looks like it has a built in flash but no external flash/strobe connection.
I don't know the camera but its basically a regular 5mp P/S with an U/W housing...as long as the housing is good thats a great price at $65 and IMHO an ideal entry level UW camera package

Colin

Re: underwater camera question - 11/13/09 09:44 PM

This reminds me of the old Aqua Shot that you loaded with the one use film cameras. I started with this and lost two of them; they floated right off my arm.
Posted By: suecate

Re: underwater camera question - 11/13/09 10:16 PM

I just went to a camera show and took a seminar in underwater photo. The camera used was the new olympus it took good photos and can be used without housing underwater to 30ft and also has a housing that can be purchased. I have the sea and sea and for the amount of time I get to dive it works well.

Re: underwater camera question - 11/13/09 11:53 PM

I figured at $65 (well $70 with delivery to my sis's house in San Fran), it is a good start for me, since I haven't ever wanted to take pictures under water. We'll see how this works out for me, whether I want to do it or not, or whether I will find that it takes away from my zenlike state of mind, when at depth.

Re: underwater camera question - 11/14/09 02:07 AM

Seashell - you do realise the costs of bringing stuff into this country for resale?

Re: underwater camera question - 11/14/09 02:25 AM

Yes, Peter I do. In no way am I trying to suggest that Rudy's price is out of line.

But as much as I like Rudy, I'm still going to get it for less another way. I thought about buying it once I get there, but what if I don't like it?

I try to buy something from him every time I'm there anyway. Or I get him to fix something for me.
Posted By: 2Aggies

Re: underwater camera question - 11/16/09 05:04 PM

Glad to hear Rudy is selling these. I'll buy one from him. He has made me some great deals on camera rentals the last 2 years so I guess it's only fair.
I too am fairly new at the underwater photo thing (diving since 1979) and I appreciate hearing from you seasoned shutterbugs.
Posted By: Nancy1340

Re: underwater camera question - 11/23/09 05:38 AM

http://www.sealife-cameras.com/

My husband and I both have the DC1000. Good to way farther than I will ever be able to go. smile

Re: underwater camera question - 11/24/09 04:49 PM

the latest thing for u/w photographers is a stainless steel rod about 12" long that you can place on a piece of reef that doesn't have any life in order to steady yourself. Much better than your finger. Alternative is to have your dive buddy hold the elbow of your camera hand.

Re: underwater camera question - 11/24/09 07:06 PM

... or develop good buoyancy control smile
© 2019 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board