AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Any GST Advice?

Posted By: Cybercayecaulker.com

Any GST Advice? - 08/22/11 06:32 PM

I just received a tax bill from GST saying I owe more than $1,000 in back taxes, interest and penalty from November-December 2006, on a business that closed in April 2008. I reported and paid the tax way back when it was due. Any advice from other business owners that have tried fighting these bogus tax bills?
Posted By: elbert

Re: Any GST Advice? - 08/22/11 07:23 PM

I've found that going in in person to sit down with the tax guy at the San Pedro office was very productive, they are reasonable and helpful.
every once and a while I get an audit/Assessment and its not really that bad.
nice folks , reasonable and helpful, don't go in angry they probably get enough of that.

Re: Any GST Advice? - 08/22/11 10:22 PM

The letter was from the Belize City office, and the person signing the letter went on maternity leave. So, I talked with the supervisor. She pulled the file and said that for those 2 months that my return had not been filled out correctly so they only input the income and disallowed all of the gst paid portion. Anyhow, long story short, 5 years later, I'll be taking whatever receipts I still have into Belize City for them to look at.

Re: Any GST Advice? - 09/07/11 03:38 AM

So I had my audit. I looked up the receipts from those months 5 YEARS AGO and found that I had everything. Surprise surprise. Anyhow, the auditor took a look at the receipts, totaled them up and then updated their computer. Finished! No penalties, no interest, and found that they actually owe me an $11 refund. If I actually get a check I will immediately cash it and buy 2 beers at Fidos.
Posted By: Barbara K

Re: Any GST Advice? - 09/07/11 03:32 PM

smile
Posted By: t42

Re: Any GST Advice? - 09/12/11 04:02 PM

Seven years is the norm for company records.
© 2020 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board