AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: Hon WANTED: cell phone - 04/28/11 08:47 PM
Something basic and suitable for prepaid since all I need to do while I'm there is phone and text message...although a calendar would be nice. Will pick it up on May 14th.

...and I know my PM's are full. I like it that way laugh If you don't want to give details here, just leave a reply and I'll PM you.

Thanks.
Posted By: blueyz44 Re: WANTED: cell phone - 04/28/11 08:57 PM
I have another older Iphone cell I haven't listed yet....unlocked and ready for a digicall sim card. Iphone can be used at wireless hot spots to surf the internet for free. Surf on it like a small lap top with any wireless connection.
Can be used as a basic phone too for texting or calls.
PM me smile
Posted By: Ernie B Re: WANTED: cell phone - 04/29/11 01:39 AM
I wonder why Hon's PM's are full smile
Posted By: Hon Re: WANTED: cell phone - 04/29/11 01:40 PM
Originally Posted by Ernie B
I wonder why Hon's PM's are full smile
I need to keep some conversations intact so that I can use them to blackmail a certain 'immissing' person grin

...and I should have stipulated that I'm a cheapskate. I would like the phone to be under 200BZ.
Posted By: tacogirl Re: WANTED: cell phone - 05/03/11 02:23 PM
Hon if you still need a phone LG and Samsung make decent ones $80 usd range. My friend unlocked LG stateside and brought it down, Paul just got a new samsung [blackberry style knockoff] in Florida and unlocked it here for about $60 bzd

Both are at&t pay as you go phones.
Posted By: gailtor Re: WANTED: cell phone - 05/03/11 02:56 PM
Lori can you post pictures or links to the actual phones please. I will be looking to upgrade my BZ phone next year. Thanks
Posted By: PROBUS Re: WANTED: cell phone - 05/04/11 01:55 AM
I bought a Samsung CDMA phone at the Smart shop a few days ago. Good performance and seemingly excellent battery life. Bz$95.
Posted By: Hon Re: WANTED: cell phone - 05/04/11 11:46 AM
Originally Posted by PROBUS
I bought a Samsung CDMA phone at the Smart shop a few days ago. Good performance and seemingly excellent battery life. Bz$95.

Several people have suggested this route. It's likely the way I'll go since I only need a phone to do basic stuff smile
Posted By: PROBUS Re: WANTED: cell phone - 05/06/11 02:18 AM
Alternatively bring an unlocked GSM phone that works with the frequency used in Belize (any tri-band or quad-band phone should suffice, and will probably work at home as well) and buy a Digicell SIM card when you get here. Credit of $50 lasts 3 months or until topped up, so you should be able to keep your number indefinitely.
Posted By: gecko_girl Re: WANTED: cell phone - 05/06/11 03:13 AM
You can buy your SIM card (and extra calling minutes) online via the Hot Guide website - so you can get your Belize phone number in advance to give to friends and family. http://hotguidebelize.com/digicell-sim-cards-and-calling-minutes/
Posted By: tacogirl Re: WANTED: cell phone - 05/07/11 02:01 PM
Hi Gail do not have pics of phones at the moment.

What we did for Paul's Samsung was go to Best Buy and ask them specifically what phones and carriers would work for Belize that have a chip. At&t was one and I forget which other companies he said would work.

In order to have mobile cellular service in Belize, an unlocked GSM (Global System Mobile Communication) 1900 MHz cellular phone is required.
Posted By: lil'red Re: WANTED: cell phone - 05/07/11 03:31 PM
I have the Samsung Impression I got in Like new mint condition from Ebay. it came unlocked and ready for my chip. Great little phone, camera, video camera and cost me USD90$
Posted By: lil'red Re: WANTED: cell phone - 05/08/11 04:51 PM
*Note: I am not selling the Samsung Impression, just giving an opinion on the phone*
Posted By: Hon Re: WANTED: cell phone - 05/09/11 09:43 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! I've got a great little phone and have sucessfuly ordered a SIM pack from Hot Card that I will pick up on Saturday. Yay!
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board