AmbergrisCaye.com Home

Kudos to security guard and Police

Posted By: shuffles

Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/20/11 02:20 PM

This morning, around 5:00 am as our security guard was doing his final rounds, he noticed that a guest's rented golf cart was missing. He saw the cart leaving the alley. He chased down the cart and driver, on foot until the Living Word Church where he "beat the guy". He called the police and the thief was apprehended by the police and taken to jail.

So much on here about bad police work, wanted to share that this matter was taken care of quickly and the golf cart has been returned to the guests.

Just one more reason to have a security guard at your home or business.
Posted By: Mike Campbell

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/21/11 06:51 AM

Let us see what the final outcome is before we tip our hats to the police. Your security guard surely does warrant a big hurrah from everyone. good going!

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/21/11 03:02 PM

Actually, the perpetrator was someone who the police knew who had recently gotten out of Hattieville. They requested, (and it happened) that both the owner of the rented cart, our security guard and the renters of the cart) come to the police station and give a report. They requested this so that they could send him back to Hattieville. Whether or not that happened, I don't know but at least they did make an effort.

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/21/11 10:04 PM

I surely hope that was the case. When these matters get bogged down in court all the flaws come out. One problem is when they receive a 10 year sentence they only serve 5 at most as they count both the night and the day. That guy should have still been doing time for the last time he got caught, not out stealing again. Police have to catch the same guys over and over. Your guy was great, there needs to be more of that active participation.

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/21/11 11:21 PM

Funny. Latest request from the police is that they want the batteries that the thief was stowing in the bush when our guy caught him. The owner of the golf cart called this morning and said that now the police want the batteries as evidence. UGH. There were photographs at the scene. Seriously, they want the batteries? Just when I was having a little faith.
Posted By: SP Daily

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/21/11 11:38 PM

Meet with Dennis Arnold...and tell him how you feel about that.
Posted By: Tim Callanan

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/22/11 12:23 AM

The batteries are worth $2400 BZ, this will add to the charge.
The difference is the charge and time he will do,hopefully with evidence and witness we will get rid of em.

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/22/11 01:32 AM

The owner of the golf cart company went to meet with Dennis Arnold. It's just that the owner of the golf cart does not want to turn over $2400 worth of batteries to the police....which I totally understand. There were photos of where he was stashing them in the bush. Times are tough for everyone, so why would an owner of a rental cart business give the police $2400 worth of batteries that he will probably never see again? Believe it or not he actually drove the cart with the lock and cable on....

They had the witnesses and the photos of the batteries laying in the bush.....
Posted By: Tim Callanan

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/22/11 04:26 PM

S.P. daily is right,tough times

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/22/11 06:25 PM

I am frustrated and saddened to report that in order for the golf cart owner to keep his batteries, both he and the renters of the cart had to go to the police station this morning and drop the charges. This has to stop. I cannot believe that now this "tief caught red handed" will now be released back into the community.

And here I thought I was going to report some good news about the San Pedro Police Department.
Posted By: papashine

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/22/11 07:13 PM

Yes but now the Police dept is going to be arresting people for not having a light or a bell on their bicycles......one step at a time!
Posted By: Phil

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/23/11 03:50 PM

Is it the police or the law/lawyers that's to blame?
Posted By: Chica Blanca

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/23/11 05:50 PM

The police do not need the batteries for evidence. When our construction supervisor had taken $1000 in lumber and was hiding it in the bush we contacted the police. They came and took statements and pictures of the stashed lumber. They too wanted to take the lumber for evidence, we refused. Since they (police) took the photo's of the lumber, it was used as evidence in court and we got the conviction. That is after 3 trips to the court house. It can be done if you insist. Don't take the first no as the final answer, as the police don't always know the correct answers themselves.

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/23/11 07:08 PM

Thanks, but the police already had everyone involved come in and withdraw their statements. This was the only way the police would allow the owner of the cart to keep the batteries. I totally agree with you that this was handled inappropriately, and furthermore, puts a KNOWN criminal back on the street. TOTAL BS
Posted By: SimonB

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/23/11 07:42 PM

Hopefully the papers will pick this story up...
Posted By: Phil

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/23/11 08:16 PM

Very sad and very wrong. This guy will now feel invinsible. Dont suppose there was a photo of him? You could post it "Our good friend......." No laws broken there.

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/23/11 09:13 PM

Now you understand my original post.
Posted By: TravelinMan1

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/24/11 12:58 PM

Please send me a picture of this guy.

Re: Kudos to security guard and Police - 02/24/11 02:13 PM

I would LOVE to post this guy's picture. I have to get it from the police, as they took the photos at the scene.
© 2021 Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board