AmbergrisCaye.com Home
Posted By: elbert Planting mangroves and creating awareness - 01/09/12 01:13 PM
One of the most positive articles on Mangroves that I've ever read was published in the San Pedro Sun this week (Jan6th2012). Its not about permits, enforcement or punishments. Its about changing the attitudes and restoring. A very refreshing read on Mangroves. Wish I could find it on line to reprint it here.
http://www.sanpedrodaily.com/1-7-12.html
Look at the successful mangrove restoration and use for hedges for beauty and stemming erosion along waterways. They won an award

cocoplumbelize.net
I want to plant some mangroves. Where can I get some?
Posted By: elbert Re: Planting mangroves and creating awareness - 01/09/12 11:45 PM
:-)call Dr.Jan Brown, 662-2725/ 226-2059
I get them from sprouts in the sea weed washed up on the beach. Part of the mangroves problem is resort hotels like to obsessively rake the beach to create that Daytona kinda look that's really unnatural for the inner-lagoon that is Ambergrise's shore line.
and the mangroves reproduction cycle uses the sea weed to get its start.
To me thats the best thing in the article, a new awareness. White sandy beaches are a unnatural thing here and mangrove lined shore is not only its nature but healthy and beautiful.
http://www.livingheritage.org.nz/schools/primary/hauraki/mangrove-forest/get-a-life.php
Posted By: Bear Re: Planting mangroves and creating awareness - 01/10/12 05:08 PM
Elbert, nice commenttary.

A ?, was the entire length of shoreline along the inner lagoon (reef side) historically, and naturally, populated with mangroves right to the shores edge (and beyond)? or did certain areas remain open(for whatever reason)?

Noted and concurr on the seaweed raking, studies have indicated that this can be a significant definite cause of beach loss over time. Also lets not forget the importance of turtle grass as a sand trap for beach enrichment and maintenance. Its is noted as one of the most effective means of trapping fine sandst in those areas farther away from the cuts and therefore having less entrained heavier sands.
Posted By: elbert Re: Planting mangroves and creating awareness - 01/10/12 09:15 PM
My guess is yes, the entire shoreline historically was mangrove, but remember ever since James Howard Blakes day Ambergrisans have been choping mangroves out.I remember mangroves in front of San Pedro Town.
I'm inspired to plant some more myself and dug 20 starter holes a couple of days back.I've had good luck with just regular transplanting.
http://www.livingheritage.org.nz/schools/primary/hauraki/mangrove-forest/mighty-mangroves.php
Posted By: Bear Re: Planting mangroves and creating awareness - 01/11/12 12:40 AM
We've got a messed up situation with a seawall just up beach from us that is causing us (and others) to lose quite a bit of beach on an annual basis...I may just hire a crane dredge to rip out the sea wall, then immediately plant black mangroves in its place swiftly followed by signage declaring the area as a sacred and inviolate mangrove reserve...hmmmm now what did i do with my buddies phone number that works for the WWF & NRDC?
Aaaaah Bear; you're such a good neighbor.
i hear gunfire in the distance.....
Mangrove Seedlings Available
Do you need to replant a mangrove? Have a program to repair a problem area? Want to start a mangrove area on an island? How about hundreds of seedlings FREE!
About 2 months ago now, the beautiful black mangroves along the water line of the Marco Gonzalez Archaeological Reserve dropped its' annual seeds. There are now hundreds of sprouts about 6" to 8" tall which are in the way of our tour path. It would be a shame to pull them up and destroy when someone in need can come harvest the seedlings and replant to beautify a new area.
If you are interested in doing this, please contact Jan Brown, 662-2725/226-2059 for information.
"Fish really do grow on trees
in San Pedro"
Posted By: ACCSD Re: Planting mangroves and creating awareness - 01/13/12 06:01 PM
When planting mangroves please be aware that red mangroves are the most salt tolerant and grow around the shore edge. Black and white mangroves while salt tolerant grow best a little back from the sea shore or around inner lagoons. The ones that Coral have been planting are Red Mangroves.
Posted By: Bear Re: Planting mangroves and creating awareness - 01/14/12 05:18 PM
Excellent info ACCSD, I filed that one for future reference...
I went and got me some baby trees up the beach a bit. planted them on my nude beach...
http://belizewalkabout.blogspot.com/

Pics and some thoughts on my lil mangroves. Limited sucess so far...
© Ambergris Caye Belize Message Board